NHL & Reebok to open flagship store in New York

Nucklehead007*

NEW YORK— The National Hockey League and Reebok said today they would open a flagship retail store in New York, scheduled for Fall 2007.

The 6,700-square-foot retail store will be located at the corner of Avenue of the Americas and 47th Street. It will carry a wide selection of NHL-licensed and Reebok branded apparel, outerwear, footwear and equipment. The location is not far from The NBA Store, which is located at 5th Ave. and 52nd Street.

http://brandweek.com/bw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003409231&imw=Y

blamebettman*

I guess this is the place to get your 2007-2008 super gay skin tight spandex hockey jerseys.

cityhockeyfever

Sep 15, 2006
Philadelphia
How come that wasn't posted in the thread "NHL Store in New York City" thread?

Anyway, the NHL needs this to compete to any degrees with the other big leagues such as the NBA,
NFL and Major League Baseball. They're too obscure right now in being able to have the average fan
easily find official merchandise readily available. This is instead of having to really search high and low
for the best outlets around.

Brad*

Wonderful another Bettmanian way to jam merchandise down our throats.

Here's an idea: don't buy any? No one is forcing you. And for the people who do want merchandise, well here's another place to get it.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Wonderful another Bettmanian way to jam merchandise down our throats. Wow skin tight tank tops for working out, sneakers that look like skates..or is it skates that look like sneakers?
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to come in and invent a new way to rip Bettman after yet another move by the league that is nothing but positive. Congrats on taking the honors!

Finest

Puck Fittsburg
May 15, 2006
Long Island
Wonderful another Bettmanian way to jam merchandise down our throats. Wow skin tight tank tops for working out, sneakers that look like skates..or is it skates that look like sneakers?

http://thehockeyblog.the-shoreline.com/

:dunno:

Don buy it if you dont like it being "jamed down your throat". If anything team merch helps the leauge, if you look at any other sport, they have team logos on everything from sleep wear, to clothing,to car accesories. Why is it a bad thing? Its working for the other leagues, why shouldnt the NHL open a store?

I personally think they should have opened the store in NYC way earlier ,preferably close to 94 when the Rangers won the cup. It would have made sense to me, but they didnt so oh well. But atleast now I can hop on a train and get my stuff w/o paying shipping :D

danno2530

Aug 2, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
www.geocities.com
:dunno:

Don buy it if you dont like it being "jamed down your throat". If anything team merch helps the leauge, if you look at any other sport, they have team logos on everything from sleep wear, to clothing,to car accesories. Why is it a bad thing? Its working for the other leagues, why shouldnt the NHL open a store?

I personally think they should have opened the store in NYC way earlier ,preferably close to 94 when the Rangers won the cup. It would have made sense to me, but they didnt so oh well. But atleast now I can hop on a train and get my stuff w/o paying shipping :D

Same here. This is nothing but a positive. Outside of Rangers games at The Garden, there is nowhere in the city to get good hockey stuff. Last month, a friend of mine visited me from Chicago and we went through about 8 stores before she found a good Rangers long-sleeve t-shirt that she liked. That ain't right.

This is a great idea and if it's anything like the outstanding NBA Store in midtown, I will surely burn out my debit card there.

Voice of Reason

Jul 6, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
The only thing I question is the location. 47th & 6th is one of the entrances to the "Diamond District", famous for jewelry. There are really not many other retail places right around there. So, aside from business people or some folks headed towards Rockefeller Center (and, of course, hockey fans), will they have enough foot traffic?
It just seems putting it on 5th Ave, known for a wide variety of shopping, might've brought in more people than an area known for primarily one kind of shopping. You don't normally go up 6th Ave to shop unless you're looking for something specific.

CORRY20

Apr 1, 2005
Yeah I know what you mean.It is very hard to find good looking NHL merchandise in stores.The NHL needs to get together with different manufactures and deliver quality official team merchandise.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
The only thing I question is the location. 47th & 6th is one of the entrances to the "Diamond District", famous for jewelry. There are really not many other retail places right around there. So, aside from business people or some folks headed towards Rockefeller Center (and, of course, hockey fans), will they have enough foot traffic?
It just seems putting it on 5th Ave, known for a wide variety of shopping, might've brought in more people than an area known for primarily one kind of shopping. You don't normally go up 6th Ave to shop unless you're looking for something specific.

The rent must be tens of thousands (a month) less away from 5th Ave.

Build slowly and then go for the premier location.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I'd agree with you if this was Fred's Hockey Store, but this is owned by the NHL. Rent money shouldn't be an issue to them.
Also, don't forget the 3 Core Rules of Real Estate: Location, Location, Location.

I guess I'm going to sound like an apologist but perhaps they tried ?

I don't live in New York but in the Toronto version of "5th Ave", spaces for lease aren't exactly available that easily.

This goes against my earlier point (which I realize is rather weak right now) but the NHL should have also opened up stores in the Toronto and Montreal downtown cores.

Skroob*

This goes against my earlier point (which I realize is rather weak right now) but the NHL should have also opened up stores in the Toronto and Montreal downtown cores.

Prehaps they will, this NY location might be the pilot program of sorts.

Additionally, it might be harder to establish a store in the cities you mentioned, as there are other places to shop for NHL gear that a NHL sponsored store will have to compete with.

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
i walked by the location the other day.. theres huge signs outside of the building telling everyone that the nhl store will be open in fall 2007.. and there are a lot of people walking up and down that avenue and i was around there at 8 in the evening i cant imagine how many people will walk by during the day.. this is important for the league... a step in teh right direction... and it is very hard to get a store location on 5th avenue not many stores open up there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad