NHL players given rules powers

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
9 people on the committee.. final say in rule changes.. I would assume majority rules.. 5 of 9 represent the clubs/ownership. Yeh, some power. :shakehead

hockeymistress

Oct 9, 2004
shakes said:
9 people on the committee.. final say in rule changes.. I would assume majority rules.. 5 of 9 represent the clubs/ownership. Yeh, some power. :shakehead

No one said hockey players could add.

H.

Tiki

Mar 1, 2002
Goo Lagoon
Visit site
shakes said:

Previously, such decisions were made collectively by the 30 general managers. It was a process that often led to stalemates and politics and very little getting done. Players have long wanted a voice in the debate.

It more than they had. This IMO is a big deal of power given to NHLPA members. It gives them a voice in how their work place is run.

Besides, they would only need one other dissenting voter to get waht they want through. Not too bad.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Good, I can't see why they shouldn't have powers. They are the ones who play the game, and probably know quite a bit over what works and what doesn't.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
It is a good sign that the dinosaurs are losing power, and some forward thinking might actually creep into the hockey mindset for once.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
shakes said:

44% > 0%

Considering that the ownership reps will not always agree, and the players will not always agree, this is a huge improvement.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I would have liked to see some non-NHL people on the committee (non-players, non-GMs, non-owners) just to give a general fans a bit of a say.

As for stacking the committee 5 to 4, well I doubt the players and GMs and owners all see things the same way. We could see some interesting spiits within the groups.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner since:
a) it's a concession the owners can give that doesn't cost them a dime
b) it goes a long way to forming this "partnership" that both sides have been posturing over

A Good Flying Bird*

jamiebez said:
b) it goes a long way to forming this "partnership" that both sides have been posturing over

A long way? An H2 with a busted alternator would go further.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
That's very positive. I would like to see more variety on a panel like this though. I would like to see a combination of perhaps a junior hockey representative and an AHL representative added seeing as the AHL and CHL are the closest relation to the NHL.

The Shanahan camp went a long way to showing that there needs to be cooperation between the sides though. The suits don't know what's best for the game all the time.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
That's called a bone. Remember that bone that the league needed to throw to the union. That's it.

I'm overly optimist! I bet they sign on the dotted line today.

A Good Flying Bird*

deathbear said:
newsguyone, you sound like a very, very bitter person in your posts.

The truth is bitter, isn't it, in this case?

Does anyone believe that the players are going to say, wow, we just got buggered in this CBA. We lost a year of our career only to agree to a salary cap and a 24 percent rollback.
But at least Brendan Shanahan and three other players can sit on the rules committee ...
Yeah, that's gonna keep the players smiling during the ratification vote.

If you wanna see the side of me that isn't bitter, we can talk about my two goofy dogs ... Then again, I'm really not hear to discuss what people think of my demeanor.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Newsguyone said:
The truth is bitter, isn't it, in this case?

No, it's not. In fact, the truth is this is the best the NHL has looked in many many years. There'll be some pains in getting back into gear and winning some of the disgruntled fans back but once things are in motion this is looking to be the best shape the league has ever been in. This is just one small piece of that.

Don't let your blind fanatical loyalty to the NHLPA blind you to the *real* truth.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
nikeisevil said:
So who would the GM's be?

Lou, Burke, who else? Lowe? Gainey?

Not sure if the king of "the trap" is the best choice for this committee. Perhaps a few of the younger GM's who haven't been around the game forever might be better at getting some changes done.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
GREAT NEWS!!!!!

the people that have played the game there entire lifes and are professionals know the game on the ice 345634 times better then those moronic owners. Fantastic news that the players can actually help the game out now. Here's to that news :cheers:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I find this quote interesting:

The new format to include players is considered a concession by the NHL in the CBA talks. But Peca doesn't think it should be considered a concession. "It's something that should have been done all along," he said.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but releasing stuff included in the CBA talks must mean they're not afraid of the ratification going sour, so hopefully within the next couple days there will be an announcement.

Or, like I said, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
me2 said:
I would have liked to see some non-NHL people on the committee (non-players, non-GMs, non-owners) just to give a general fans a bit of a say.

That sounds like a fantastic idea.

Player: "Removing the tag-up should improve the flow of the game without the more radical changes."
Owner: "We could cut down on serious injury by using touch-icing."
Fan: "What do you think of this Rick Nash trade proposal? Rick Nash r0x0rz!!!!1!!"

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Phil Parent said:
That's called a bone. Remember that bone that the league needed to throw to the union. That's it.

I'm overly optimist! I bet they sign on the dotted line today.
Don't let Beauty hear you say that. :)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
No, it's not. In fact, the truth is this is the best the NHL has looked in many many years. There'll be some pains in getting back into gear and winning some of the disgruntled fans back but once things are in motion this is looking to be the best shape the league has ever been in. This is just one small piece of that.

Don't let your blind fanatical loyalty to the NHLPA blind you to the *real* truth.

I don't think i'd say this is the best the NHL has looked in many years...as of right now, there still is no CBA, and it's still guesswork on how it will shake out if/when a CBA gets signed.

the NHL is still looking like crap right now. maybe in a few years if this CBA shakes out to be a good one all around and the fans come back and the league is profitable, THEN i'd say it looks to be in good shape. as of right now, it's crap, and we just have the hope that it will get better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->