NHL Players getting raises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwood2

Feb 6, 2004
Anybody that was making the league minimum, for one..... I believe those players will be making at least double their previous salary.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
I think purinton from NYR lolol...I believe he's supposed to make 400 or so after the rollback...I was going to bash whoever said the minumum should be 0, but in this case, I'd say you were right :biglaugh:

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
The minimum salary actually increases from $450,000 to $475,000 to $500,00 over the life of the six year CBA.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
BobMckenzie said:
The minimum salary actually increases from $450,000 to $475,000 to $500,00 over the life of the six year CBA.

Very interesting, More news everyday, Thanks Bob!

Keep up the great work!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

p.s. Will you marry me? :snide:

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
cjbhab said:
They should have made the minimum salary 0.

Actually, the $450-500k minimum salary was a smart move by the owners. By offering such a high minimum, a sizable chunk of the union was left with nothing to fight for. Why would a Commodore or a Perrot or a Taylor support the union at the cost of their carreers for no reason other than to see the star players retain their big paycheques?

GSC2k2*

Resolute said:
Actually, the $450-500k minimum salary was a smart move by the owners. By offering such a high minimum, a sizable chunk of the union was left with nothing to fight for. Why would a Commodore or a Perrot or a Taylor support the union at the cost of their carreers for no reason other than to see the star players retain their big paycheques?
Actually, i would go even farther and consider it a master stroke by the owners, although not for quite the same reason as you suggested (although I do not dispute your point as it is valid).

What I am talking about is the effect that the minimum salary will have on the higher salaries. In a cap scenario, where there is a finite amount to pay players, every extra $100k paid to the lower tier players is $100k less that can be spent on higher tier players or the overpaid middle class. Now when i say higher tier, i am not talking about the elite of the elite, or what is in basketball (and soon in the NHL) are referred to as "max players" - guys who get the maximum salary. What creates the worst problems in sports are not the perennial all-stars who get high contracts. THe middle class guys and lower tier guys get pegged to them and inevitably earn more than their economic value. The top level players and midlevel guys also hamstring franchises with overinflated and immovable contracts. Accordingly, since the high salaries raise the tide for all the boats (as a general principle), the more spread out the money, the better off the league is as a whole. Less chances of a team being stymied by bigger contracts that don't work out. Also, upper level players' leverage is less, since the minimum salary will take up nearly $11 million in cap room in and of itself. You may not think that is a big deal, but at this level, incremental differences are meaningful.

IMO ...

EricBowser

Dec 8, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
I show 11 players who will receive raises to the $450,000 mark after the 24% rollback has taken place.

After 24% rollback
ATL: Serge Aubin $418,000 - Francis Lessard $399,000
BUF: Adam Mair $443,000 - Andrew Peters $342,000 - Chris Taylor $266,000
NJD: Darren Langdon $418,000 - Scott Clemmensen $342,000
PHI: Todd Fedoruk $380,000
PIT: Ryan Vadensbussche $418,000 - Tomas Surovy $380,000
WDC: Darcy Verot $304,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad