Olympics: NHL players also before 1998?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Were there any talks, even before 1998, between NHL and Olympics (IIHF) about sending their players to this competition?

In 1980 was the Olympic in USA. In 1988 in Canada. Very good opportunity to make a great tournament. Were there any talks about it?

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
I read in 1988 they opened the tournament to all players, the NHL just didn't agree to let the players go. I guess they still were high off the Canada cup in 87. However could you imagine if NHL players were in Calgary in 88 id have to think the games between Canada and the USSR are just as good if not better than the 1987 Canada cup. However at the same time the tournament was a round robin format as well. You'd have to think the NHL and the tv partners would want the format switched into a playoff round.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
As noted, NHLers were only allowed for the first time in 1988. I don't think that the league was particularly interested at first. I may not be completely accurate with this, but I think that Bettman becoming commissioner actually helped get NHLers into the Olympics given his NBA background and how internationally focused the NBA is. The Dream Team situation at the 1992 Olympics in basketball certainly helped as well.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Were there any talks, even before 1998, between NHL and Olympics (IIHF) about sending their players to this competition?

In 1980 was the Olympic in USA. In 1988 in Canada. Very good opportunity to make a great tournament. Were there any talks about it?

1994 was a great opportunity to make a tournament aswell.

Canada, Sweden and Russia could have had this dream teams:

Lemiuex - Gretzky - Yzerman
Messier - Lindros - Neely
Robitaille - Oates - Recchi
Shanahan - Gilmour - Fleury

Bourque - Stevens
Coffey - Murphy
Blake/Pronger - MacInnis

Roy
Joseph
Belfour

P.Bure - Fedorov - Mogilny
V.Kozlov - Yashin - Zhamnov
Kovalev - Larionov - Makarov
Kamensky - Bykov - Khomutov

Fetisov - Kasatonov
Konstantinov - Zubov
Zhitnik - Malakhov

Trefilov
Shatenlov

Dahlen - Sundin - Renberg
Sandström - Nylander - Garpenlöv
Mats Näslund - Forsberg - Loob
Carnbäck - Steen - M.Andersson
Bergqvist, Markus Näslund

Lidström - U.Samuelsson
C.Johansson - Albelin
Olausson - K.Samuelsson

Söderström
Lindmark

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
As noted, NHLers were only allowed for the first time in 1988. I don't think that the league was particularly interested at first. I may not be completely accurate with this, but I think that Bettman becoming commissioner actually helped get NHLers into the Olympics given his NBA background and how internationally focused the NBA is. The Dream Team situation at the 1992 Olympics in basketball certainly helped as well.

It was actually Gil Stein, who was President of the NHL only briefly, who got the league to properly take part in the Olympics. That, and being the force behind Anaheim and Florida joining, are probably the only good things to come from his short tenure.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It was actually Gil Stein, who was President of the NHL only briefly, who got the league to properly take part in the Olympics. That, and being the force behind Anaheim and Florida joining, are probably the only good things to come from his short tenure.

Fair enough, right you are.

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
The NHl not participating in the 1994 Olympics is by far the WORST decision any sportsleauge has ever taken in the history of sports. I still can't get over this and I will never figure out how they could have been so stupid. It robbed us of the best tournament ever and it robbed the NHL of a Major Major Chance of global growth. I bet my ass that hockey would be a lot bigge rtoday would they had not dodged that opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->