Speculation: NHL Player Award candidates

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Who are our nominees for each award and what are their odd s+ your prediction?

Hart - Price - 75% he wins it, 25% Ovechkin
Vezina - Price - Winner
Norris - Subban - I think he's certainly top10, probably top5 but isn't going to win it.
Calder - DLR? - 0%
Lady Byng - Pacioretty with only 28 PIMS - 25% chance? Not sure.
Selke - Pacioretty - top5 finalist
Adams -
Masterson -
Lindsay - Price - Winner
Messier Leadership -
NHL Foundation - Subban?
GM of the Year - Bergevin

I think Subban, Patches and Price have all excelled this year but there is no way three Habs win three major awards - therefore I think the most obvious choice is Carey Price and then Pacioretty for his tremendous +/- and goalscoring on a low-scoring club. Subban will get the short-end of the deal, and as fantastic as he has been defensively and offensively, I don't think any defenseman in the NHL really stood out beyond Giordano so it's anyone's to win/

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Price should be a clear winner for Hart & Vezina but they flip from league MVP to team MVP and vice versa every couple of years so who knows - without Price we are looking at our odds of getting McDavid not battling for the President's trophy

PK's diving will knock him back, still Top 5 but won't be one of the nominees - hopefully this wakes him up

Laviolette will be the Adams winner, can't see MT being nominated for writing Carey's name on the starting lineup 65 times

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
Price should be a clear winner for Hart & Vezina but they flip from league MVP to team MVP and vice versa every couple of years so who knows - without Price we are looking at our odds of getting McDavid not battling for the President's trophy

PK's diving will knock him back, still Top 5 but won't be one of the nominees - hopefully this wakes him up

Laviolette will be the Adams winner, can't see MT being nominated for writing Carey's name on the starting lineup 65 times

You just don't know that. If we don't have a goalie like Price for all we know, Therrien has a completely different system in place and we actually perform in front of the goalie.

Price is a shoe-in for the Vezina.

He should get the MVP too: No team has their system and play as dependant on one player as the Habs has on Price. However, I don't believe we'd be a lottery team without him. With an average starter, we'd be battling for a wild card spot. We wouldn't be, say, Leafs bad.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
You just don't know that. If we don't have a goalie like Price for all we know, Therrien has a completely different system in place and we actually perform in front of the goalie.

Price is a shoe-in for the Vezina.

He should get the MVP too: No team has their system and play as dependant on one player as the Habs has on Price. However, I don't believe we'd be a lottery team without him. With an average starter, we'd be battling for a wild card spot. We wouldn't be, say, Leafs bad.

Maybe, based on Tokarski's winning % we'd be tied with Dallas at 22nd overall and have a 5% chance at McD

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
It would be a complete farce if Price doesn't win the Hart. (Vezina is obvious.)

He's pretty much the most exciting player to watch in the league, and that says a lot for a goalie. Also the absolute reason we are a winning team. We're not AS bad without him as people say, but man, the difference he does make is monumental.

Well done to Ovi for picking up his game, but he has not achieved the level of MVP status to his team as Carey has. It's a nightly magic show. Ovi's good, but it's not the same.

Subban should be a Norris nominee, and if he does end up leading or tying in pts., the people who decide the Norris hopefully know a thing or two about actual defense, cuz I honestly think he is the best all round defenseman in the league. Letang and Weber are terrific, but I'd never swap them for PK. Karlsson, while offensively gifted, is a downright horrible d man.

Pleks was on his way to a Selke season, but dropped off in the last half. BTW, not that he is anywhere as proficient at defensive play as Pleks, though has improved draaaastically, what about Patch for Selke? Does he deserve a nomination?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
There's no way all three of them win - I think Price will win everything and Patches and Subban are going to finish in the top5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad