NHL/PA set time/place for this week's meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaws

Mar 12, 2005
Stittsvegas
I'm curious...It almost seems that since they cancelled the season, they've had more mettings than when the season was still on the line. Can anyone clarify this or am I just imagining things?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
chiavsfan said:
No no, this is only the 3rd time they will have met since the cancellation...the one where the PA brought in Mario and Gretz and smeared them. Then last weeks, and then this weeks
Maybe this week they will spend more than 90 minutes together...what a joke that was...and maybe they can invite Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsay, since #99 and #66 weren't good enough for Bob and the PA...

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
BLONG7 said:
Maybe this week they will spend more than 90 minutes together...what a joke that was...and maybe they can invite Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsay, since #99 and #66 weren't good enough for Bob and the PA...

90 min was actually a good start... I mean.... I think the general thought behind that meeting was to simply see where both sides stand regarding what is on the table.

Both sides left with hopefully some idea on how to approach this, and how to start talking the same language..

Now... I fully expect this meeting to be short as well... No offer.. just some words, theories, and thoughts exchanged...

*this all should have been happening in July of last summer*

I have a feeling the NHL is prepairing to make its "best" offer of the summer right now.. What that may be.. I don't know.. .. within a week or two.... The PA must be willing to listen.. and COUNTER offer...

Oilers Ent

Aug 31, 2002
Burnaby, BC
robandgen.blogspot.com
I thought I would help the NHL and create a template they can use for the next few weeks for press statements....

NHL STATEMENT FOLLOWING MEETING IN [insert city name here]

[insert city name here] (insert date here) - The National Hockey League and NHL Players' Association today resumed negotiations in [insert city name here]. Attending the meeting for the NHL were [insert people who participated and their titles]

Following the meeting, [insert whoever spoke] issued the following statement:

"We met with the NHL Players' Association today in [insert city name here] for approximately [insert time here]. No progress was made towards a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. The parties have agreed to meet again next week."

ResidentAlien*

FLYLine4LIFE said:
Havn't they...tried...to keep it a secret for the past 10 meetings? It always leaks out.

ya... that darn Eklund!!

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
I think it's overall a better thing for the game to keep it out of the media. I think that it hurts the game more financially when the die hard hockey fan hears that no progress was made so often in a confrontation of millionairs vs billionairs. As it has been all along during Bettmans tenure, the goal has been to market the game to the average sports fan. Because hockey has been so forgotten even as games were being played, the NHL wants to keep the average fan (we'll call the average sports fan the american sports fan) somewhat informed of what was happening, purely so that the average joe wouldn't forget about the league.

TSN reports every little thing that happens in regards to the negotiations. Canadians love to stay on top of this news, just as some Americans like myself "enjoy" to. The average sports fan in america goes to espn.com, not tsn.ca for there sports news. ESPN and TSN obviously have different ways of handling hockey news. I believe that TSN is optimistic and will report something even if it is a rumor. ESPN on the other hand, will come out with hockey news a day later then TSN, making sure it is more concrete (not to mention the fact that they have 2 people working on NHL news probably). The thing I hate about ESPN is that there audience is basketball and football loving sports fans (many of whom make fun of the NHL), and you can tell ESPN knows this with there negative headlines, polls that are set up to show that "no one cares about hockey."

I believe the NHL's immediate goal in the beginning, citing the fact that this was long term, was to keep the average sports fan informed so they wouldn't forget about the game. I think they all realized that this technique backfired on them when they found that the real hockey fans--those who go to TSN--were being killed by all the optimism than no progress etc. It was like riding a rollercoaster if you went to TSN everyday. IMO, The league kept the world involved in the talks as much as they did so ESPN--the more concrete and less in terms of quantity hockey news--would keep the average fan from forgetting that the league even existed (literally speaking)

Now that they have decided to keep things more quiet, it's questionable if the average sports fan will remember the NHL.

From this one can probably say that either the NHL has given up on the average sports fan (and will work on it when the games come back)--or they realized that there killing the real hockey ones

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
According to some media types the NHLPA have until June 1st to come to terms on a non linkage deal so Goodenow the deadline hunter won't take anything seriously until about 11 PM on May 31st.

The players would be well advised (if that is actually possible) to negotiate a 42.5 hard with improved systemic conditions over what was offered last month. I think the NHL will want a soft cap - payroll tax to click in at about 35 million now with all payroll tax going into a revenue sharing pool.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
nikeisevil said:
I thought I would help the NHL and create a template they can use for the next few weeks for press statements....

[insert city name here] (insert date here) - The National Hockey League and NHL Players' Association today resumed negotiations in [insert city name here]. Attending the meeting for the NHL were [insert people who participated and their titles]

"We met with the NHL Players' Association today in [insert city name here] for approximately [insert time here]. No progress was made towards a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. The parties have agreed to meet again next week."

Great Post :joker: :lol: :lol

S.S. Giggy

RIP 1974-2011
Jun 14, 2002
Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Visit site
nyrmessier011 said:
I think it's overall a better thing for the game to keep it out of the media. I think that it hurts the game more financially when the die hard hockey fan hears that no progress was made so often in a confrontation of millionairs vs billionairs. As it has been all along during Bettmans tenure, the goal has been to market the game to the average sports fan. Because hockey has been so forgotten even as games were being played, the NHL wants to keep the average fan (we'll call the average sports fan the american sports fan) somewhat informed of what was happening, purely so that the average joe wouldn't forget about the league.

TSN reports every little thing that happens in regards to the negotiations. Canadians love to stay on top of this news, just as some Americans like myself "enjoy" to. The average sports fan in america goes to espn.com, not tsn.ca for there sports news. ESPN and TSN obviously have different ways of handling hockey news. I believe that TSN is optimistic and will report something even if it is a rumor. ESPN on the other hand, will come out with hockey news a day later then TSN, making sure it is more concrete (not to mention the fact that they have 2 people working on NHL news probably). The thing I hate about ESPN is that there audience is basketball and football loving sports fans (many of whom make fun of the NHL), and you can tell ESPN knows this with there negative headlines, polls that are set up to show that "no one cares about hockey."

I believe the NHL's immediate goal in the beginning, citing the fact that this was long term, was to keep the average sports fan informed so they wouldn't forget about the game. I think they all realized that this technique backfired on them when they found that the real hockey fans--those who go to TSN--were being killed by all the optimism than no progress etc. It was like riding a rollercoaster if you went to TSN everyday. IMO, The league kept the world involved in the talks as much as they did so ESPN--the more concrete and less in terms of quantity hockey news--would keep the average fan from forgetting that the league even existed (literally speaking)

Now that they have decided to keep things more quiet, it's questionable if the average sports fan will remember the NHL.

From this one can probably say that either the NHL has given up on the average sports fan (and will work on it when the games come back)--or they realized that there killing the real hockey ones
Actually, I think it's better if they met publically. There, the representatives will know who's watching and won't screw around blasting at each other.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
nikeisevil said:

It's like looking into the future...

WHARF1940

Jan 2, 2005
down in a hole
Do these idiots even realize that there are these days of the week called Monday Tuesday and Wednseday? Jesus, get to friggin work already!!!

StanTheMan

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
roadrunner said:
I'm all a-quiver with excitement. Reading the next variation of "no progress has been made" on Friday has me climbing the walls with tense anticipation. :amazed:

variation? that's the funny thing, they can never say anything different! one reason i wish they would not talk to anyone about the meetings. just meet until you get it done. next comment/press release = we have reached a tentative agreement. until then, i'm looking forward to whatever nhl is presented in october.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad