NHL On FOX Clips

The Man in White

Jun 28, 2004
The robots owned. I remember I used to watch the whole game so that I wouldn't miss a goal because I wanted to see how the robots would score on each other. Good times....

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
YouTube it. We really need something to do for a while.

Just segments of games and intermission reports, pregames, etc. would be cool to see.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Does anyone have the Molson Canadian commercial making fun of the glowing puck? Something about throwing a guy out of the room. Did I dream this?

RTWAP*

It's fun to ridicule the Fox puck tracking, but I think it was actually a good idea.

Penetrating new markets requires new approaches.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
I actully think about the fox puck every now and then, like when they go to 50 different replays to see if the puck is over the goal line. if they changed the fox puck technology a bit they would not have to wonder. if the puck is completly over the line a microchip in the puck could tell them. thats what i think but then again i could be way off.

RTWAP*

I actully think about the fox puck every now and then, like when they go to 50 different replays to see if the puck is over the goal line. if they changed the fox puck technology a bit they would not have to wonder. if the puck is completly over the line a microchip in the puck could tell them. thats what i think but then again i could be way off.

It's a slightly harder problem that it appears.

Unlike with a soccer ball, pucks aren't spheres. If a soccer ball has a 12" diameter and a sensor in the middle of the ball shows it is more than 6" over the line then it's a goal.

But a 1" thick hockey puck on edge can be completely over the line as soon as it's centre is more than a 1/2" over. But if it is flat then it isn't a goal even if it is 1" over the line. Which means you need to record not just the puck's position but it's orientation, with a very high degree of accuracy (much better than the Fox technology did).

I have no doubt it's possible. And if they ever do it I'm sure it will be a great surprise the first few times a goalie makes a great glove save deep in their trapper and the goal light goes on.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Fox hasn't used the famed laser puck in years. I find FSN to be one of the better stations in covering sports.

Fox hasn't had the rights since 1999. Even then they didn't use it the last year they had the rights and before then it was only for the main game because of the cost. FSN is a different channel and has never used the glow puck.

DevilsSMASH

May 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It's a slightly harder problem that it appears.

Unlike with a soccer ball, pucks aren't spheres. If a soccer ball has a 12" diameter and a sensor in the middle of the ball shows it is more than 6" over the line then it's a goal.

But a 1" thick hockey puck on edge can be completely over the line as soon as it's centre is more than a 1/2" over. But if it is flat then it isn't a goal even if it is 1" over the line. Which means you need to record not just the puck's position but it's orientation, with a very high degree of accuracy (much better than the Fox technology did).

I have no doubt it's possible. And if they ever do it I'm sure it will be a great surprise the first few times a goalie makes a great glove save deep in their trapper and the goal light goes on.

Yeah, the biggest problem is doing it reliably without having pucks that cost $1000 each. Remember, the pucks are frozen, and undergo a lot of external forces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad