NHL on Fox and Fx?

DevFan-RU-

Aug 28, 2006
Morristown, NJ
www.battleofny.com
When does the NBC deal expire? Also, would it be helpful to get NHL hockey on Fox and have games broadcast on FX?

Is FX available in more areas than Versus?

How possible is a deal like this?

In my memeory, Fox always did the NHL well... and continue to do so with their regional FSNs.

But for hockey to succeed, games need to be shown on weekend on broadcast... just like football.

Thoughts?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The NBC deal expores this year but it will probably be renwewed through 2010. I haven't heard anything about it not being renewed. Also the Versus deal was just renewed through 2011 and I believe the deal is exclusive for the national cable right which would prevent FX from picking up games. Also FSN is FOX in name only. Many of them are not owned by FOX, an example is is FSN New York which is owned by Cablevision.

Get used to these TV partners because they will be the broadcasters for the next few years. Although I think NBC does a great job (not so much Versus).

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
The NBC deal expores this year but it will probably be renwewed through 2010. I haven't heard anything about it not being renewed. Also the Versus deal was just renewed through 2011 and I believe the deal is exclusive for the national cable right which would prevent FX from picking up games. Also FSN is FOX in name only. Many of them are not owned by FOX, an example is is FSN New York which is owned by Cablevision.

Get used to these TV partners because they will be the broadcasters for the next few years. Although I think NBC does a great job (not so much Versus).

Has VS. or even the NHL itself announced the extension? I have yet to see it anywhere else.

Fox did use F/X when it had the NHL rights. The 1996 World Cup was on F/X for the entire tournament.

Fox wouldn't be interested anyway. With the NFL, MLB and NASCAR, their weekends are packed. Fox even let the NHL lapse because of acquiring their original MLB deal.

DevFan-RU-

Aug 28, 2006
Morristown, NJ
www.battleofny.com
NFL changes hands alot... usually split between two major broadcasters... like FOX and ABC.

Can't the NHL do the same?

As for MLB, its not a year round thing. NASCAR is during the daytime (mostly)

Fox can broadcast NHL games some nights during the week, and put others on FX in the same format as NBC/Versus works.

Fox broadcasts one or two games during the week, and has a game of the week on FX (like Versus does with mondays and tuesdays).

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Has VS. or even the NHL itself announced the extension? I have yet to see it anywhere else.

Fox did use F/X when it had the NHL rights. The 1996 World Cup was on F/X for the entire tournament.

Fox wouldn't be interested anyway. With the NFL, MLB and NASCAR, their weekends are packed. Fox even let the NHL lapse because of acquiring their original MLB deal.
There have been no official announcements from the NHL or Versus (that I'm aware of) - just the original reports from Multichannel News:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6410619.html

Versus Nets NHL Rights Extension
By R. Thomas Umstead 1/29/2007 12:02:00 AM
Digg This | add to Del.icio.us |

Amid flat national ratings and sliding regional numbers, Comcast will remain in the rink with the National Hockey League into the next decade.

Comcast’s Versus network will televise national NHL games through 2011 after exercising an option to air the 2007-08 season and picking up the rights to three additional campaigns.

“We’ll definitely have the third season, and we’ll have [the NHL] for six years,†said Versus president Gavin Harvey, who declined to discuss deal terms. “We’re looking forward to season three on Versus.â€

Sources close to Versus said the 71 million-subscriber network exercised a $72.5 million option for the 2007-08 campaign and then extended its pact for three more seasons at an undisclosed price.

"We're pleased to be partnered with Versus next season,†NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in a prepared statement. “We look forward to working together on the promotion of our game, players and the telecasts as we focus on growing U.S. viewership.â€

The league would not comment about the three additional seasons.
Given that the piece quotes by name both Versus president Gavin Harvey and Bill Daly - it's almost certainly legit.

That same article has been picked up by several broadcast industry sites as well as distributed by the Associated Press. If it were not true, we would be hearing denials up the ying yang - which we're not.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
I'm sure once Fox loses its NFL contract (which it periodically does so other networks get NFL rights), then we will see them pick up hockey.

You do know you'll be waiting five more years for that, right? The season that just ended last night was the first season of a new set of six-year contracts.

The NFL is the only one of the four major team sports that has a multi-network deal. The MLB (Fox), NBA (ABC), and NHL (NBC) are all on one network at a time. Only the PGA and NASCAR get spread out across multiple broadcasters, and that is inly because that is on a case-by-case basis.

As I have posted time and time again... Versus is NOT bad for the NHL. Big fish in a small pond is still better being buried under baseball, college basketball, poker (POKER!), the NBA, soccer, Arena Football, Aussie Rules Football, etc.

BUT, if this deal is 100% exclusive, then there is a problem. The NHL needs TV deals like both the NBA & MLB have, with two cable networks showing games on different days/nights. NBC only is fine for infinity, as long as the Peacock gets all seven games of the Finals.

Ninja Hertl

formerly sharkohol
Feb 25, 2006
The Yay
I have a big problem with versus being exclusive, because basic cable doesn't get it. That's not good news for exposure. Once I get some more income and digital cable, though, i'll be happy :)

DevFan-RU-

Aug 28, 2006
Morristown, NJ
www.battleofny.com
You do know you'll be waiting five more years for that, right? The season that just ended last night was the first season of a new set of six-year contracts.

The NFL is the only one of the four major team sports that has a multi-network deal. The MLB (Fox), NBA (ABC), and NHL (NBC) are all on one network at a time. Only the PGA and NASCAR get spread out across multiple broadcasters, and that is inly because that is on a case-by-case basis.

As I have posted time and time again... Versus is NOT bad for the NHL. Big fish in a small pond is still better being buried under baseball, college basketball, poker (POKER!), the NBA, soccer, Arena Football, Aussie Rules Football, etc.

BUT, if this deal is 100% exclusive, then there is a problem. The NHL needs TV deals like both the NBA & MLB have, with two cable networks showing games on different days/nights. NBC only is fine for infinity, as long as the Peacock gets all seven games of the Finals.

Oh, I know it will take time. Saving this sport (TV-wise) is something that will take years.

The Sanchise

Aug 3, 2004
NF Ontario
What I was thinking is the Nhl needs to build on regional broadcasting and once every Saturday have a Hockey Night in America to offset HNIC. Show 3 games whether it will be on NBC or CBS or FOX. Personally if they can get onto CBS it would roll. Than have a TSN like influence showing games about 40 per year. MAybe stations like TNT. BAsketball has success on TNT so why not add an NHL spin to it.

THis is a crazy idea of mine

DevFan-RU-

Aug 28, 2006
Morristown, NJ
www.battleofny.com
What I was thinking is the Nhl needs to build on regional broadcasting and once every Saturday have a Hockey Night in America to offset HNIC. Show 3 games whether it will be on NBC or CBS or FOX. Personally if they can get onto CBS it would roll. Than have a TSN like influence showing games about 40 per year. MAybe stations like TNT. BAsketball has success on TNT so why not add an NHL spin to it.

I agree, but it might take some time to implement all this.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

How many local NHL teams already have separate contracts w/ the FSN's or in the case of Boston a minority stake in NESN. Those games are then picked either by Versus or NBC aren't available to those networks.

danno2530

Aug 2, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
www.geocities.com
I don't think NBC's done a bad job at all, so they can stay. Fox was alright outside of the glowing puck (yes, I admit I enjoyed watching the Rangers robot turn into a missle and blow up the Isles robot after scoring a goal), but I don't think there is much of a difference between FX and VS. for total viewers.

I could be wrong on that but I think the reason more people watch FX is because it actually has quality programs (Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) as opposed to VS. (Holy !@#$!, The Ultimate Combat Series, Barbecue World Series and whatever other crap they have).

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I don't think NBC's done a bad job at all, so they can stay. Fox was alright outside of the glowing puck (yes, I admit I enjoyed watching the Rangers robot turn into a missle and blow up the Isles robot after scoring a goal), but I don't think there is much of a difference between FX and VS. for total viewers.

I could be wrong on that but I think the reason more people watch FX is because it actually has quality programs (Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) as opposed to VS. (Holy !@#$!, The Ultimate Combat Series, Barbecue World Series and whatever other crap they have).

The difference is FX IS a subsidiary of Fox as compared to what Versus or Speed are doing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->