NHL/NHLPA Meeting over for 6/17.Meet on Monday in TO

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
NEW YORK (June 17, 2005): At the conclusion of Friday’s meeting in New York, National Hockey League Players' Association Senior Director Ted Saskin released the following statement:

“We resumed small group meetings with the league this week and spent the better part of four full days discussing a wide range of issues.Further small group meetings are scheduled starting Monday in Toronto.â€

http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/Feature.asp?contentId=3454

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
NEW YORK (CP) - The NHL and NHL Players' Association wrapped up 28 hours of talks for the week Friday and will resume discussions Monday in Toronto.

The two sides, who met for 12 hours Monday and Tuesday in Toronto, met in New York from 1:30 p.m. EDT to 11 p.m. EDT Thursday and 8 a.m. EDT to 2 p.m. EDT on Friday. Senior director Ted Saskin and outside counsel John McCambridge represented the union in New York on both days while Bill Daly, the NHL's chief legal officer and executive vice-president, and outside counsel Bob Batterman represented the league.

The NHL and NHLPA continue to inch closer to finally ending the ninth-month lockout. The economic framework for a collective bargaining agreement is largely in place but another two weeks or so of work remains.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/shownews.jsp?content=s061743A

INCH?A turtle could walk from New York to California before this CBA is completed

cbjfan

Jul 4, 2002
Visit site
RangerBoy said:
NEW YORK (CP) - The NHL and NHL Players' Association wrapped up 28 hours of talks for the week Friday and will resume discussions Monday in Toronto.

The two sides, who met for 12 hours Monday and Tuesday in Toronto, met in New York from 1:30 p.m. EDT to 11 p.m. EDT Thursday and 8 a.m. EDT to 2 p.m. EDT on Friday. Senior director Ted Saskin and outside counsel John McCambridge represented the union in New York on both days while Bill Daly, the NHL's chief legal officer and executive vice-president, and outside counsel Bob Batterman represented the league.

The NHL and NHLPA continue to inch closer to finally ending the ninth-month lockout. The economic framework for a collective bargaining agreement is largely in place but another two weeks or so of work remains.

INCH?A turtle could walk from New York to California before this CBA is completed
And walk back to New York ;)

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
RangerBoy said:

They must lie to their girlfriends...

I can still hear my bootcamp instructor commenting on our supposed 6" fold in our bed sheets: "Oh my seaman XXXX, you must lie to your girlfriend. That's four inches not six" :eek:

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
This is really getting annoying. They've been saying the same thing for a month or more now "2 more weeks". If that was the case the deal shoulda been done by now. This is just getting so frustrating.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
oildrop said:
This is really getting annoying. They've been saying the same thing for a month or more now "2 more weeks". If that was the case the deal shoulda been done by now. This is just getting so frustrating.

Agreed..but just hang in there...its gonna be done very soon...and hell...we've been waiting 9 months already...whats another 1-3 weeks??

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Theve been going back and forth from the NHL home base and PA home base...just acts of good faith from both sides i assume...sometimes they go to a neutral territory in CHI.

Announcement though will be made in NYC.

Last edited:

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN said:
I noticed that meetings will continue in Toronto. Is there a set preference for where they make the "announcement", ie - NYC or Toronto?

Maybe they are just getting a better MOTEL 6 rate in Toronto?

It's all about the airline miles. If they are mainly meeting in NYC, Goodenow would get a larger share of miles. If they are mainly meeting in Toronto Bettman would receive the larger share of miles.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
As long as theres a full season and a draft..ill be happy. :)

Don't get me wrong, I will be very happy. It's just the waiting that is getting tiresome. It's been a looooooong 9 months and these past couple weeks have been torture. A couple more weeks of no deal will be even worse. I'm running thin on patience now.

X-SHARKIE

Remember though folks, they have lawyers with them every step of the way so they're drafting the CBA as they do it..so once a deal is anounced, it's going to be a completely written document.

So IMO this week was a good one, and it sounds like progress continues to be made on multiple issues.

2 weeks sounds about right :)

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
The funny thing is, if this is really the timeline for developing a CBA, then HOW IN THE HECK COULD HAVE THEY SAVED THE SEASON OVERNIGHT IN FEB!!???!?

Gus Fring

May 16, 2004
Ottawa
if at the end of next week and i still hear "2 more weeks" then i'll start getting REALLY angry, as long as they are done by or on canada day then im alright with that.
If they announce it on canada day im gonna get soooooo loaded.

ill bring a 24 of cans and a hockey stick downtown then start a drunken game with my friends using the crushed cans.

(wouldnt wanna be nets)

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
heshootshescores said:
The funny thing is, if this is really the timeline for developing a CBA, then HOW IN THE HECK COULD HAVE THEY SAVED THE SEASON OVERNIGHT IN FEB!!???!?
They would have done the same as in 1994 when they gave the tentative OK for the framework and all of the minor details were done in the months that followed.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
slats432 said:
They would have done the same as in 1994 when they gave the tentative OK for the framework and all of the minor details were done in the months that followed.

And many believe that it was this that caused the owners to get a raw deal. Because like they say, "They wrote the deal on a napkin"... Meaning it was like an "Oh ok, we'll figure this out later, go ahead and play".

And they say that the language and framework they initially agreed to didnt translate well into the final document.

Gary

go kim johnsson said:
But they lost a whole season to do that. That revenue (for some owners) will also never been seen again not to mention the yet to be determined damage to the game this will cause. There will be a lot of avid hockey fans who will never watch or never go to a game ever again (or until there is an opportunie time to jump on the bandwagon) just because they missed a whole season. I'm wondering how hockey is even going to survive anymore in places like Nashville, Carolina and Florida...

FOR SOME OWNERS-That's the key...Some owners actually saved money by not playing last year. Or atleast that's what's been said. Did any players save money sitting the season out?

Gary

go kim johnsson said:
The fact he had an entire season canceled automaticlly makes him the worst commishioner in the history of sports. David Stern said it himself when he said Bettman was doing all he could but there is no way he would ever let an entire season get canceled. No matter what Bettman does, this will be his legacy.

That's one way of looking at it, my version is different though. I think it was a necessary evil. The NHLPA was one of the toughest most bull headed unions going-and Bettman broke them. Losing a year or not-mission accomplished *almost*

mackdogs*

Gary said:
That's one way of looking at it, my version is different though. I think it was a necessary evil. The NHLPA was one of the toughest most bull headed unions going-and Bettman broke them. Losing a year or not-mission accomplished *almost*
Mission accomplished when Bob Goodenow rides off into the sunset on his donkey with Happy Trails playing in the background.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
But they lost a whole season to do that. That revenue (for some owners) will also never been seen again not to mention the yet to be determined damage to the game this will cause. There will be a lot of avid hockey fans who will never watch or never go to a game ever again (or until there is an opportunie time to jump on the bandwagon) just because they missed a whole season. I'm wondering how hockey is even going to survive anymore in places like Nashville, Carolina and Florida...

What you arent getting is....there isnt a shelf life for these owners to make money. Players on the other hand have a short amount of time to make their money....and this has been one year they cant get back.....owners on the other hand are life long businessmen that will be making money with this and other endeavors for the rest of their lives....I doubt this lockout has changed the day to day lifestyle of any owner....the players on the other hand have had to make many changes

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
FLYLine4LIFE said:
As long as theres a full season and a draft..ill be happy. :)

The week to week meetings with the same garabage is brutual. The annoucment is needed to be done asap the normal statement "another 2 weeks" and my personal favorite "two sides continue to inch closer to a deal" this makes the NHL look like a bunch of idiots. As a previous person mentioned the same 2 week phrase has been used for a month.... get it DONE.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
flambers said:
The week to week meetings with the same garabage is brutual. The annoucment is needed to be done asap the normal statement "another 2 weeks" and my personal favorite "two sides continue to inch closer to a deal" this makes the NHL look like a bunch of idiots. As a previous person mentioned the same 2 week phrase has been used for a month.... get it DONE.

better than "philosophical differences" and "no progress" being the normal statements

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Deebo said:
better than "philosophical differences" and "no progress" being the normal statements
Exactly.
First you people were crying about how they were never meeting. And now they're meeting 4 times a week and you're complaining more.
Just give them some time. We've been waiting 9+ months. What's another week or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad