NHL/NHLPA Meeting over for 6/17.Meet on Monday in TO

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENSible1*

slats432 said:
I wish a pox on you for making me defend the NHLPA.

Negotiators negotiate. Good business people find a way to get things done. Gary did not. He was going to put the screws to the NHLPA regardless of what you believe.

Sorry, but there isn't a negotiator on the planet that could have gotten Goodenow to agree to total capitulation without cancelling the season. Since the mandate given him by ownership required that end goal (capitulation), there was no way to accomplish it without "putting the screws to the NHLPA".

DevilsFan

Jun 2, 2005
19nazzy said:
I can't wait to see what happens when this CBA ends.

Me too man. A new CBA with all the changes, caps and taxes, unrestricted FA's, restricted FA's, the lottery and subsequent Entry Draft (with a possible dispersal draft), buyouts, trades, hirings/firings, marketing blitzes, new TV deals, rule changes, training camps, preseason (tournament?), and the regular season to start on time! This is going to be the craziest hockey summer ever, and I am going to be glued to the media for every last ounce of it!

cgyfireman

Feb 25, 2004
DevilsFan said:
Me too man. A new CBA with all the changes, caps and taxes, unrestricted FA's, restricted FA's, the lottery and subsequent Entry Draft (with a possible dispersal draft), buyouts, trades, hirings/firings, marketing blitzes, new TV deals, rule changes, training camps, preseason (tournament?), and the regular season to start on time! This is going to be the craziest hockey summer ever, and I am going to be glued to the media for every last ounce of it!

You got that right Devilsfan,bring it on!!It will be an exciting summer for sure.Not only that but it looks like there will be hope for small market teams.Hopefully the Flames can take another run at the Cup :D

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
DevilsFan said:

This is a great side effect of the Cap. The NFL has it right and the NHL would do well to follow their model. Right now, from mid-june til end of july is the longest quiet time for the NFL... think about that. 6 weeks is the longest that the NFL is off their fans minds.

The NFL has masterfully created a schedule, from draft, mini-camps, OTAs, signing period, june 1st cuts, training camp/preseason, season, playoffs, Super Bowl, UFA, pre-draft works, and all the way back again.

Its gold Jerry... GOLD!

DevilsFan

Jun 2, 2005
heshootshescores said:
This is a great side effect of the Cap. The NFL has it right and the NHL would do well to follow their model. Right now, from mid-june til end of july is the longest quiet time for the NFL... think about that. 6 weeks is the longest that the NFL is off their fans minds.

The NFL has masterfully created a schedule, from draft, mini-camps, OTAs, signing period, june 1st cuts, training camp/preseason, season, playoffs, Super Bowl, UFA, pre-draft works, and all the way back again.

Its gold Jerry... GOLD!

It's in the best interests of the NHL to follow the NFL as closely as they can. Obviously some things need to be adjusted because of the diffference of both sports, but it's a great model. One other thing I didn't mention in my rave is better media coverage with mics and cameras everywhere! . . . . . . . . oops sorry I was drooling a little on my monitor.

cgyfireman

Feb 25, 2004
"One other thing I didn't mention in my rave is better media coverage with mics and cameras everywhere!"

Well I'm all for it but I think it would be X-rated.I used to drive NHL teams when they were in town.Let me tell you that there were more F-bombs dropped in that bus than there are in the firehalls....and that's alot :amazed:

DevilsFan

Jun 2, 2005
cgyfireman said:
"One other thing I didn't mention in my rave is better media coverage with mics and cameras everywhere!"

Well I'm all for it but I think it would be X-rated.I used to drive NHL teams when they were in town.Let me tell you that there were more F-bombs dropped in that bus than there are in the firehalls....and that's alot :amazed:

True. I would think a 10-20 second delay should take care of that, or a serious fine on coaches or players for doing it if they are mic'd for that game. Getting fans "into" the game would be huge for the sport.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
I always thought that the mic feed wasn't live so as not to interfere with the announcers in the broadcast booth. If the sound engineer heard something interesting he passed it on to the director who decided if and when to use it.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
If we are right now drafting and agreement while bargining, I don't understand why these lawyers aren't working through the weekend unless there is no true daily sense of urgency.

I could see while the heavy lifting negotiations were going on, cause you'd need time to evaluate and internalize the week's work.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
heshootshescores said:
If we are right now drafting and agreement while bargining, I don't understand why these lawyers aren't working through the weekend unless there is no true daily sense of urgency.

I could see while the heavy lifting negotiations were going on, cause you'd need time to evaluate and internalize the week's work.
The lawyers might be, using the weekends to rewrite and revise parts of the CBA as needed.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Thunderstruck said:
Sorry, but there isn't a negotiator on the planet that could have gotten Goodenow to agree to total capitulation without cancelling the season. Since the mandate given him by ownership required that end goal (capitulation), there was no way to accomplish it without "putting the screws to the NHLPA".
So you know Bob personally?

As a seasoned negotiator and hearing about their reported exchanges....he could have handled it far better.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
oildrop said:
And here I thought they weren't going back to Toronto for any meetings. I guess a certain someone is wrong yet again!

Why wouldn't they go back to Toronto for more meetings?Who cares where they meet?Everyone needs to stop reading the stupid blog.I don't care what McKenzie says about that guy :shakehead

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
NHL Draft scheduled for August 6-tenatively

The NHL is apparently exploring the feasibility of staging a scaled down version of the draft in Ottawa, which was supposed to play host to the event on June 23. But the draft could also end up in the ballroom of a New York City hotel. Wherever it's held, it's expected only the top-end prospects will be in attendance and that NHL clubs will make their selections from their own cities by phone or internet.

Everything is still very much up in the air, though steps are being taken to start planning this event and others

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=128189

Last edited:

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
RangerBoy said:
Why wouldn't they go back to Toronto for more meetings?Who cares where they meet?Everyone needs to stop reading the stupid blog.I don't care what McKenzie says about that guy :shakehead

As BM says, theres some good some bad... its just too hard for us fans to see the difference.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
''We resumed small group meetings with the league this week and spent the better part of four full days discussing a wide range of issues,'' NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin

hahah thanks for the info Ted.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Another week more meetings......I bet the first half is in Toronto and the second half of the week is in NY......................... How many more weeks is the question 2..3...4.. 5?

The bunch of idiots need to get this done already...I am sick of the statement "there is still a tonne of work to be done". My response, well work longer hours and go through the stupid weekend already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->