NHL/NHLPA Meeting Next Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I am ignoring all this bad news comming from all sorts of places, saying the owners are not so optimistic and that they think Goodenow is playing them.

Sometimes I think the media is LOOKING for dirt or some sort of negative spin on stories... When it comes to this Lockout, that is...

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Scugs said:
Sometimes I think the media is LOOKING for dirt or some sort of negative spin on stories... When it comes to this Lockout, that is...
I would never have thought that :sarcasm:

X0ssbar

Another twist:

"While the NHL and the NHLPA prepare to resume CBA discussions on Tuesday, Sportsnet has learned the union has summoned all its members for what could be a massive meeting on May 24th.

The meeting is open to every NHL player and will follow the World Hockey Championships, which allows the 400 NHLers who played in Europe this season time to plan for this face-to-face get together."

Link

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
The speculated PA meeting doesn't mean anything necessarily.

It could mean that they're planning for another long negotiations freeze. It could mean they're headed for a strike.

On the other hand, it could mean that they think they'll have a deal done and want all the players to know exactly what the rights/terms of the deal are before they start to negotiate contracts over the summer.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
The PA meeting is an annual thing, at least that's what TSN said. So really, they would have that meeting no matter what and it has nothing to do with the CBA negotiations, the CBA will just be one of the topics.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
May 24th is too late to go over a potential offer...

May 24th would either be to prepair for strike/NLBR case...or to explain the terms/details/loopholes of the new CBA that is in place..

I am hoping... a slight hope... that Tuesday the two sides will meet.... The PA will toss out its best-"fair" offer that has been cooking since the "golfing trip"...... and the NHL will sign it..This week was about the PA really thinking hard about what it can afford to give up, and what it aboslulty cannot give up..Late Tuesday we will get the PC we have all been waiting for..... Wed meeting of NHL BOG will decided the draft and explain the terms to all the owners..... In May the PA will meet to talk about the new CBA's rules and how they are going about replacing Bob Goodenow after he resigns about 2 weeks from now.....after the draft is concluded.... Gary Bettman decides he needs to retire for "health reasons" and appoints Bill Daly as the acting commish, with a few days later the BOG removing the "acting" section of his new title....

and come fall we have hockey...

its just that simple boys..

:handclap:

but then I remember its Bob and Gary..

:cry:

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Wow, it's looking like this may be the head of the lion guys... a lot of stuff is going down with all this. BOG meeting, open meeting of all NHLPA members. It doesnt get any bigger.

It's a Fiscal Stanley Cup Finals

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Drury_Sakic said:
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

So who gets their name on the cup.. the favored NHL, or the massive underdog NHLPA?

I say NHL in 6 not as close as it looked games..
Actually, we might have to get the Referees' union involved in all of this. Boy would that be a mess!

My bet's on the NHL in 6 with Bill Daly winning the Conn Smyth

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
The NHL has already won the series, the NHLPA just stubbornly refuses to leave the ice. Even the Zamboni driver has gone home.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Crazy_Ike said:
The NHL has already won the series, the NHLPA just stubbornly refuses to leave the ice. Even the Zamboni driver has gone home.

IMO, its more like nhl refuses to leave and accept that they have swept. Want to make to make all NHLPA members bleed first :shakehead

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
nyrmessier011 said:
IMO, its more like nhl refuses to leave and accept that they have swept. Want to make to make all NHLPA members bleed first :shakehead

I do not see it that way. The NHL made it pretty clear from the start what they could . . . and what they could not . . . accept. $42 million unlinked Cap if there was a season, less if the season were blown.

If they were bluffing they would have upped the offer before the season was lost.

It is just taking a long long time for the players to believe the owners. Amazingly they still must think that the owners are bluffing.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Top Shelf said:
"While the NHL and the NHLPA prepare to resume CBA discussions on Tuesday, Sportsnet has learned the union has summoned all its members for what could be a massive meeting on May 24th.

I'm sure they're all just going to Lakeside Park. :D

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
nyr7andcounting said:
The PA meeting is an annual thing, at least that's what TSN said. So really, they would have that meeting no matter what and it has nothing to do with the CBA negotiations, the CBA will just be one of the topics.

Funny, I don't remember hundreds of players massing for their annual union meeting before...

Comrie_fan

Nov 25, 2002
Qc
Visit site
Euh! my name is Bob. I'm a player. Bob Goodenow is god. He say what is good for the player. I don't understand what he is saying in the reunion but he say what is good for the player. I love hockey. I'm a Czech player but i'm not going to the world cup because they don't offer cash. I'm going to play in russia next year if the season is gone. But like i said i love hockey and Bob is a god.

Who i am???

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Montrealer said:
Funny, I don't remember hundreds of players massing for their annual union meeting before...

when was the last time you cared?? I sure didn't bother to take notice every year but he's right, it's an annual thing.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
nyrmessier011 said:
by Wednesday I think he means Wed 4/20
The BOG meeting is definitely 4/20, agreed. But the Executive meeting (with only a small group of owners) was supposed to happen yesterday. Again, this meeting was mentioned on multiple occasions by Arthur Griffiths early this week.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
nyrmessier011 said:
when was the last time you cared?? I sure didn't bother to take notice every year but he's right, it's an annual thing.

I was being sarcastic.

I know they have annual meetings - but usually it ends up being the reps and other interested people - maybe fifty people. Certainly not hundreds of players assembling at the same place at the same time. I just laugh when it's passed off as "nothing to see here, please move along, business as usual".

I hope next season starts on time - people are starting to get snippy for nothing everywhere. You, for instance, are probably inconsolable that Messier is going to be 59 when hockey starts back up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad