NHL,NHLPA End Thursday Discussions - no other scheduled meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
tritone said:
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3336946

For all the optimism in the threads today , here's the anti-hope

I have to admit. I am no longer optimistic. This sucks... there may not be hockey until 2006 afterall. Wow, these folks are really really really braindead.

What is so hard to understand about this: The owners will not cave, they have the upper hand, the players are going to lose all of this year's salaries... the players are going to lose unless they bend.

Also, I just saw Ted Saskin on the Score... hes reiterating the fact that they still have massive philisophical differences.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I remain neutral, but you guys can't but too much or any stock into what is said to the media. It is all propaganda...right until after the deal gets signed...

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
eye said:
There won't be any NHL hockey until either the players remove Goodenow from power or the NHL II starts up with replacement players.
How is Goodenow the problem this time? They meet with out the two who were thought to be the major problems in the negeotiating process and didn't come out any closer.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
The article means nothing, same was said last night before the meetings were announced for Thursday. Plus, its Fox Sports, who knows even less than ESPN.

Crows*

What I find most encouraging is that they now both respect each others positions.

The last 2 days neither side has blasted the other, and that is one of my greatest reasons for optimism.

jpsharkfan

Jun 10, 2004
jtuzzi21 said:
I remain neutral, but you guys can't but too much or any stock into what is said to the media. It is all propaganda...right until after the deal gets signed...

Exactly! We are only hearing what they want us to hear.
Did anyone honestly expect them to come out of the meetings and say "the players caved" or "the owners have backed off the cap issue". It is still 50-50 that they will settle, and when they do they are going to come out of the meetings and announce how they have come to terms for the good of the game and for the fans. Everything we hear will be carefully put together for the best PR spin possible.

Crows*

You know things are going good/better when both sides say the exactly the same thing after. Which they have.

I'm optimistic. Very much so.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
There wasn't much reason for optimism, really. People just want hockey back so badly they'll jump on anything.

Remember, Linden described the meeting as something that had to be done "before all this goes down" (paraphrase), referring to the season being cancelled.

They'll talk, but the cost certainty impasse (pun most certainly intended) will flush this season away, IMO.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Crows said:
You know things are going good/better when both sides say the exactly the same thing after. Which they have.

I'm optimistic. Very much so.

Would it not be better if both sides said we made progress and are planning to meet this weekend? Clearly this is two trains on a collusion course. I was one of the most optimistic people regarding a season but I just don't see it. Look at your calendar. Its too late.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Why would any union not want some form of cost certainty, so that the business they work in or for could succeed financially...and in turn the union succeeds??? Why are they so dead set against this?

babybruin

Oct 28, 2003
vancouver
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=111977&hubName=nhl

"There was some good dialogue," said Ted Saskin, senior director of the NHL Players' Association. "We clearly have some serious differences of opinion but we continue to try and find ways to bridge the gap."

Daly told reporters the two sides would talk again but did not say when. "We don't have anything scheduled."

Saskin would only say "the lines of communication remain open,"

SENSfreak_03

Aug 30, 2002
Regina, SK
Visit site
its interesting. tsn.ca's headling is "philosophical differences" while sportsnet.ca says "cautious optimism", both run the exact same CP store, but put different spins on the headline..lol

i guess its good that there will be meetings, i just would like to know when. hopefully its just taking the weekend off, and back at it monday. why do we always have to wait like a week in between meetings, just get at it.

John Holmes*

Just because they aren't saying anything to the media doesn't mean they aren't getting anywhere.

Even today they said the lines of communication are still open.

I don't think there is any way the season gets cancelled.
If that happens, everybody loses.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
One side, I'm not sure which one it is, needs time now to put together some sort of proposal with the information gathered in the meetings. The next step, IMO, is to put the meeting into a contract and present it to the other party.

I'm cautiously optomistic that the next meeting will involve a formal proposal.

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
I think there are more things to be optimistic about than not with what was said after the meetings. If there were true "philisophical" differences in place that would prevent a deal from being struck, I think the rhetoric would have been flying like crazy. Based on what we have seen before from these two sides, this was more like a love fest. What was said leaves open the opportunity for Gary and Bob to get involved and magicially "bridge the gap" between the two sides. This could be done face to face this weekend, or over the phone anytime.

Does anyone really think that Gary or Bob are going to allow for this thing to get done without them in the mix? There was no way we were gonna hear that it was done today or even close. Trevor will continue to get his credit (as he should) for spearheading this process, but make no mistake, it will be Gary and Bob shaking hands and putting on their silly hats when it's all done.

Keep the faith!

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
babybruin said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=111977&hubName=nhl

"There was some good dialogue," said Ted Saskin, senior director of the NHL Players' Association. "We clearly have some serious differences of opinion but we continue to try and find ways to bridge the gap."

Daly told reporters the two sides would talk again but did not say when. "We don't have anything scheduled."

Saskin would only say "the lines of communication remain open,"
they basically said the same thing. the best thing to come out of today was that both sides didn't flame each other.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
So both sides heard the major objections with each others proposals. Now they have the weekend to think about it. Who will come forth with a proposal next week to attempt to creatively bridge the gap that is unbridgeable? Still hear nothing creative from the owners. Will Bettman wait to the last minute and then make an unacceptable proposal? I think so. Wouldnt be hardball otherwise.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Where will they hold the next meeting?They should come to New York on Saturday morning before the nor'easter hits mid-day Saturday afternoon.JFK airport has many hotels they can use.Keep them locked up in the same room

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
So it has come to this? That the fact that they aren't bashing each other is the best we can do? Weak.

I tried to stay optimistic during these last few days but I am pretty sure that today means that there will be no season. I agree it is good that at least they are being civil now, and that might go a long way to starting up the season next year, but for now? The season is done. We simply don't have enough time left to save the season if they are moving forward at this pace.

Wow, this sucks ass.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll announce another meeting tomorrow. I guess there is stil some hope, but it is fading rapidly.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
I think one positive, atleast to me, is when Daly said: "I can't say we're any closer..." To me that could be taken two different ways entirely - and you can blame me for reading too much into it but that's what I do best. ;)

"I can't say we're any closer..."

Can't say or won't say?

I think someone else said it earlier, but it is definately a good thing that they aren't coming out of this meeting chewing nails and spittin' tacks like before. Sounds like they are covering up the fact that they have gotten somewhere. They say no new proposals have been made, well, I partially buy that. But I seriously doubt they are in there all day playing cards - of course they are negotiating, that's what they are meeting for. Not to talk about the weather. And I don't doubt that there are areas that need to be improved on and maybe even revamped altogether, but sounds like something is happening. Slowly but surely, maybe, but sooner than later is more appropriate.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
bladoww said:
I think one positive, atleast to me, is when Daly said: "I can't say we're any closer..." To me that could be taken two different ways entirely - and you can blame me for reading too much into it but that's what I do best. ;)

"I can't say we're any closer..."

Can't say or won't say?

I think someone else said it earlier, but it is definately a good thing that they aren't coming out of this meeting chewing nails and spittin' tacks like before. Sounds like they are covering up the fact that they have gotten somewhere. They say no new proposals have been made, well, I partially buy that. But I seriously doubt they are in there all day playing cards - of course they are negotiating, that's what they are meeting for. Not to talk about the weather. And I don't doubt that there are areas that need to be improved on and maybe even revamped altogether, but sounds like something is happening. Slowly but surely, maybe, but sooner than later is more appropriate.

Yeah, maybe the reason they said they haven't scheduled any talks is because they really want the media left out of the talks, and for the upcoming communications to be secret?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->