NHL, NHLPA close to eight-year deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

X0ssbar

According to industry sources, the NHL and NHLPA have been in talks for the past couple of weeks and are very close to agreeing on an eight-year deal. The first four years of the deal would include a salary rollback and the following four years would see a soft cap with luxury tax in place. The season would get under way February 14.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/hearsay.jsp

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
This sucks, I had heard that the season would start around the 4th, 10 more days without hockey...

But on a more serious note, I hope this is the case, both sides can save face, the owners had previously stated that the rollback would only be a short term solution and this actually sets that up. The rollback becomes a short term solution and the long term solution starts up after that. This also provides time for the larger market teams to work towards lowering their payrolls as the tax approaches. They'll know exactly where they need to be payroll wise at an exact time.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Talk about weak. A little blurb on Hockey Hearsay without any quotes or anything, doesn't incite tons of confidence.

Bob M., you hear anything?

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
slats432 said:
Talk about weak. A little blurb on Hockey Hearsay without any quotes or anything, doesn't incite tons of confidence.

its the first "source" from a major site this entire lock out saying a deal may be close.

Every other source has come from bad blog sites.

I'll hope it has a little bit more weight than the rest.

X0ssbar

I may be jumping the gun but this whole meeting today could fall in line with what Eklund had mentioned in his blog - that this is a strategy by both parties to repair the damage caused by the lockout to the player's image - starting w/ making Linden out to be the hero.

The deal could very well be hammered out and quite frankly - this potential deal makes sense for a lot reasons. First and foremost - it allows both parties to save face.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Top Shelf said:
According to industry sources, the NHL and NHLPA have been in talks for the past couple of weeks and are very close to agreeing on an eight-year deal. The first four years of the deal would include a salary rollback and the following four years would see a soft cap with luxury tax in place. The season would get under way February 14.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/hearsay.jsp

I thought the last 4 years would have a link between salary and revenues and the first 4 years have a lux tax system?

X0ssbar

JWI19 said:
Hmmm, the story is no longer there.

Odd - maybe somebody (besides me) did indeed jump the gun.

(I still have the original page up and it was published at Jan 19 @ 11:52 AM)

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Top Shelf said:
Odd - maybe somebody (besides me) did indeed jump the gun.

(I still have the original page up and it was published at Jan 19 @ 11:52 AM)

But i dont know why they would pull because it's in the "hearsay" section. Everyone knows it's jsut a rumor section. Oh well, but damn i hate waiting

MacDaddy TLC*

It is too bad Marty McSorley was blackballed from the game. They could use him to get this settled.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Its not there anymore. Honestly though if this is true....(but im sure its not)...I would consider this the best day of my 19 1/2 year life. Without NHL hockey..my life is not the same. :(

Lanny MacDonald*

struckmatch said:
I really hope something gets done, This hybrid agreement sounds like a workable solution.

Really? I think its four more years of bleeding the sport dry, then four years of trying to recover from the failed franchises or bailing out the ones in serious trouble. I think this is the worst proposal of any I have seen and only plays right into the hands of those teams wheich are already big spenders.

This deal does nothing about cost certainty. I'm not sure how it addresses the core need of the game? Unless it comes with a huge broadcast agreement that pays each team stupid money, I don't know how it is going to work?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The Iconoclast said:
Really? I think its four more years of bleeding the sport dry, then four years of trying to recover from the failed franchises or bailing out the ones in serious trouble. I think this is the worst proposal of any I have seen and only plays right into the hands of those teams wheich are already big spenders.

This deal does nothing about cost certainty. I'm not sure how it addresses the core need of the game? Unless it comes with a huge broadcast agreement that pays each team stupid money, I don't know how it is going to work?
I feel that as an owner supporter, that this IS the compromise. I would even go so far to say that they could go soft cap with a hard cap trigger. Even four years of strict luxury tax with option for the league to trigger a hard cap in the final four years if there is a higher than 56% salary to revenue break down.

There are ways to solve this but both sides are stubborn.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:

I understand you have a strong position on your beliefs but if the model is a strong luxury tax, it could work.

A) Even in the NHL last proposal , they never said anything on HOW 50% of the league could go from 40-50-60M$ to 38,6M$ to go under the cap ?

B) People criticize the MLB luxury tax & mostly they are right but there's one thing that the last CBA in the MLB did work & it's stop the salary's to escalate.

The primary example is VLADIMIR GUERRERO ! Everyone in the media thought he was the best thing since Alex Rodriguez & that he would be the NEXT Alex Rodriguez in payroll because he's 27 years old. He refuse 15M$ a year for 5 years in Montreal because his agent was sure he would get at least 20M$ for 7 years !

Free agency period came & no one even offered him 15M$ a year. He had to accept a 65M$ for 5 years deal with ANAHEIM (13M$ a year) ! He just lost 10M$ because of the new economic system in the MLB.

People accuse the MLB system because only 1 to 3 teams pay the tax but the escalating salaries come to an end because of this EVEN WITH A LOW luxury tax.

Carlos Beltran 2 years ago would have got at least 20-25M$ & he only got 17M$. Sure 17M$ is a lot but it's a lot less than what he would have got 2 years ago.

Imagine if the NHL had a STRONGER luxury tax with a 24% rollback, it would be a great achievement in my opinion to stop escalating salaries in the NHL.

That's just my 2 cents.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
PepNCheese said:
There is no way the owners will accept 4 more years of losing money.

The main gripe the most hardcore cap person on the owners side (Betttman) had with the union's proposal was that it was a short term solution. That within 2 to 3 years (exaggerated timeline IMO) the salaries would be back to what they were before. Now, if the owners go with that proposal for 4 years, they'd not be losing much money during that time, if any.

I think they'd definately accept a non-cap proposal for 4 years if it meant they'd get it in the end.

I think this is the best of both world. Both parties make a concession, both parties save face and it gives time to the owners to configure their payroll to accept a salary cap 4 years from now.

I think it makes a lot of sense, maybe too much sense for it to actually work. :speechles

EDIT :

Back when the union made it's 24% rollback offer I thought, why don't the owners sign this deal for 3-4 years and keep negotiating for a cap during that time. But then I was thinking, nah, they would have to do the same crap all over again 3 years from now, and they have the leverage so it makes no sense from their perspective. But with that offer, it solves that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad