News Article: NHL & NHLPA CBA talks - Neither Owners or Players opt out

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I get it from your perspective. You could retire or do whatever you want with your time with 6 million dollars. But I can’t understand Seabrook wanting to embarrass himself when he already has so much money. I mean, at that level of wealth, I’m surprised people aren’t just giving it away. I know that most people don’t think that way otherwise we’d be hearing about it. Seriously though, what’s the point of having additional money after a certain level of wealth?
Thirty million dollars is still thirty million dollars. That’s generational wealth.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
only a few hockey players ever walked away from money..I believe Hasek did- he felt he was not worth it and was only taking money from the organization that gave him a cup...$16 mil I believe he walked from..

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So no new CBA till 2022/23 season...therearexsome issues I feel must be addressed in the next CBA:

We know the pkauers will want to get rid of escrow if they can..but really they get paid based on a 50-50 split of hockey-related revenues and so of te venues do not meet expectation targets to allow the cap number they all work with according to how much HRR does not meet expectation that allows for the cap number they set then the escrow protects the owners on shortfalls from the HRR projection target. SO I cannot see how the owners would ever ca e on escrow unless players forfeit guaranteed contracts..that ain't gonna happen..so if escrow will not change and players walk out of next CBA on that issue...we will have a ling protracted fight and a short ter 2022/23 season till the players return and agree on a new deal after co.ing to their senses.

2. From thenowners side ..and action g on behalf of the fans(cause the players sure won't)..there MUST BE a limit or total ban on NTC and NMC lengths ...I donnotbthink there can be a total ban on them but there simply must be more term limits on them.

This is to prevent horrors like the Seabrook contract fiasco.

If a player loses ability to play at the high standard that earned him his current deal then it simply hurts the team performance Nd the fan experience both to watch a decline and to see it reflect in game losses due to that player not being able to perm at the level required to justify his high pay.

The MHLPA could argue that coaches could simply keep the guy on the bench so as not to have detrimental impact on results.

But that should not be any kind of solution because you then waste cap on useless players. And that is bad for the competitiveness of your team and for fans paying big dough to watch at minimum competent players for money allocated for team cap.

However if the players would be er agreexto a total ban on NTC and NMC clauses in co tracts.. at least...for the goidbif the game ...they should agree to limit how long such clauses cover.I thi k it should be 2 years only...Because a player declining withvzge or for any reason,can happen quickly.. So 2 consecutive years of declining play OUGHT to be reason enough for s y team not to keep such pkayer and they Should be able to trade or waive him to send to the minors.

Tge owners...on behalf of the fans ...should be prepared not to budge on insisting on such a new limit of the terms of NMC and NTCs..

Of course Existing clauses featuring these protections for players should not retroactively be taken from those players having such in their current deals..but at least going forward there ought to be such 2 yr limits forctgese clauses put into any new contract that Grant's such clauses.

3. We know the players want to go to the Wnter Olympics every 4 years..
Maybe the Owners could grant that in the New CBA in return for a 2 yr. limit on any new contracts signed that contain anti or NMC ?

4. Injuries play a big part in standings results especialky if key players go down for a ling time.. so why not change to 2 41 game half-season standings?

You then would compensate for any lengthy devastating injury effect in most cases for guys missing 20 orc30 games...

A new formula foe qualifying for playoffs would need to be determined because it is possible tgerexwoukd be a few teNs finishing 1st 2nd or 3rd in the division IN BOTH halves..but it is unlikely that you would get the same 8 teams in each half qualifying for playoffs based on in a Conference !

We can think of different formulas to accomplish the different scenarios in such s 2 halves concept ..but the point is that a team should bot be penalized simply because they lost a player or players for too much time to impact a significant amount of games.

Tge 2 halves co Capt is used I some baseball minor leagues to determine playoff entrants.
That is not basedcso mich kn injuries but different rosters for each half due to players mo e up or down the farm systems.

But in hockey the primary rationale for a 2 halves playoff qualifying system probably would be the injury factor.

Anyway we can shelve all these speculations for 3 more seasons.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
But I can’t understand Seabrook wanting to embarrass himself when he already has so much money. I mean, at that level of wealth, I’m surprised people aren’t just giving it away. I know that most people don’t think that way otherwise we’d be hearing about it. Seriously though, what’s the point of having additional money after a certain level of wealth?

Hoping for a guy to leave $30M on the table is an utter pipedream. I mean, who does that? 99%+ wouldn't walk away from that, even if they were already multi millionaires. Not gonna happen.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Hoping for a guy to leave $30M on the table is an utter pipedream. I mean, who does that? 99%+ wouldn't walk away from that, even if they were already multi millionaires. Not gonna happen.
Brent's getting his money and I don't blame him. It's rightfully his. Hence, we have to start thinking about ways to get out of his contract next year. A regular buyout doesn't really drastically. I think we're stuck with Seabrook

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Brent's getting his money and I don't blame him. It's rightfully his. Hence, we have to start thinking about ways to get out of his contract next year. A regular buyout doesn't really drastically. I think we're stuck with Seabrook

We're stuck with his contract. Nothing new there. The deferment of a compliance buyout for a year (assuming there is one), was a blow. LTIR (oops, banana peel) looks like the best option. At some point, the Hawks are going to need to get Seabs off the roster. Possibly, as soon as this season.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
We're stuck with his contract. Nothing new there. The deferment of a compliance buyout for a year (assuming there is one), was a blow. LTIR (oops, banana peel) looks like the best option. At some point, the Hawks are going to need to get Seabs off the roster. Possibly, as soon as this season.
Why did the NHLPA delay the new CBA? Are they waiting for the new TV contracts and possible legal gambling revenue stream? That might be worth a lot of money. Let's hope those spike the hard cap help the Hawks deal with Seabrook's contract.

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
Agree with all of this. I feel at some point his contract may be useful to a cap floor team, the only other (somewhat) realistic, commonly talked about scenario may be him waiving his NMC to go to Seattle. With that, the soonest he is no longer on the team would be this next offseason, but it's probably at least 3 more years before a cap floor team may want to touch the contract.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Are we really upset that there isn't going to be a lock out next year? Give me hockey and a bad contract over no NHL hockey and a buyout.
I don't think the NHLPA and NHL owners are that dumb to have another lockout. LOL. They are that stupid.

No one wanted another lockout. We just wanted a new CBA that allowed for another compliance buyout.

The current CBA is set to expire on Sept. 15, 2022. This probably implies that there won't be a potential compliance buyout until the summer of 2023 ... because we know these fools won't negotiate until right at the deadline. By that time, there will be 1 year left on Seabrook's contract.

Reactions: bwana63

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I don't think the NHLPA and NHL owners are that dumb to have another lockout. LOL. They are that stupid.

No one wanted another lockout. We just wanted a new CBA that allowed for another compliance buyout.

The current CBA is set to expire on Sept. 15, 2022. This probably implies that there won't be a potential compliance buyout until the summer of 2023 ... because we know these fools won't negotiate until right at the deadline. By that time, there will be 1 year left on Seabrook's contract.

Spot on.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Is there any other fanbase that had the reaction of being someaht disappointed there wont be a potential lockout? Someone else must need a buyout badly too

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Is there any other fanbase that had the reaction of being someaht disappointed there wont be a potential lockout? Someone else must need a buyout badly too
San Jose ... right after they signed Karlsson. The Flyers ... right after they signed Hayes.

I would say Toronto because they have the money to throw away like the Hawks. However, most of their long term deals are with young players who are producing.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Labor peace on all fronts for coming years

They are going to be fighting over revenue share ... with the upcoming TV contract and the new revenue stream: legalized gambling. That said, I think you are right ... the NHL labor peace has more of a chance than the NFL and MLB. The NBA will be interesting. There's no doubt the owners do not like the player empowerment era. They will try to rein it in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad