NHL new format discussion

Yeaoh

Jun 14, 2011
Austria
The only changes I can see is a possible expansion. Two teams to the West.

I don't see that. 30 teams is a big number and the only markets that would come to mind would be Seattle, Quebec City and maybe a 2nd team in Toronto.

Now lets assume the PHX Coyotes are moved, they move within the conference (read: Seattle). Which other cities in the west can sustain a NHL franchise?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don't see that. 30 teams is a big number and the only markets that would come to mind would be Seattle, Quebec City and maybe a 2nd team in Toronto.

Now lets assume the PHX Coyotes are moved, they move within the conference (read: Seattle). Which other cities in the west can sustain a NHL franchise?

Houston gets brought up a lot. Portland as well. Also Vegas, but I can't see any professional league ever going there.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Anyone hear about the season format proposal? I heard it was supposed to be back to backs with every team home and away. At least that was the proposal last year.

Jerry Bruckheimer is the entity behind the Vegas bid. He might have the "entertainment" cache that the NHL covets to pull it off.

The city really is trying.

gratefulyours

Great 8 = T. Selanne
Nov 9, 2010
Oakland
seatle really wants a team as well. they will get one before portland.

this is a set up for two more western teams.

i like it. yes travel with the canadian teams is sucky but at least it is the same time zone. travel in the w will never be as good as the east, those teams are so much closer to each other.

florida really got boned, but i don't see an alternative, they are really far away from the rest of the league.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Montreal - Toronto?

Yeah, 2 biggest markets together could be a good thing.

However i do think i wouldn`t be much harm to seperate them, financial wise. They will have fans anyway.

But, like i said it before - they probably know these things better than me. :laugh: I just shared my opinion, first expression.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Division match ups first, and what they been saying is there will be a wild card between the 4/5 teams before the actual playoffs start, will this be a one game playoff? or like a 3 game series?
The wild card teams are simply the 2 teams who didn't finish 1 2 3 in their respective divisions. They are the teams in the conference with the next highest record after those first 6. So if there's a weak division and a strong division, the weak division will always send at least three teams, even if those teams' records are lower than some or all of the teams in the other conference.

The preliminary playoff is something they were talking about doing in the eastern side, to increase their playoff odds overall. I don't know if they're still planning on it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Seattle and Utah should be added, if it is two West teams.
Not too sure if Utah is the best market for hockey right now but it totally should be. For a place that's so cold for much of the year, you'd think that hockey would be bigger there but based on what I've seen youth hockey is MUCH bigger in California, so an NHL team could definitely help.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
The wild card teams are simply the 2 teams who didn't finish 1 2 3 in their respective divisions. They are the teams in the conference with the next highest record after those first 6. So if there's a weak division and a strong division, the weak division will always send at least three teams, even if those teams' records are lower than some or all of the teams in the other conference.

The preliminary playoff is something they were talking about doing in the eastern side, to increase their playoff odds overall. I don't know if they're still planning on it.

Oh ok I understand now, thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad