NHL Network could be US next year: Bettman

xDerekRx

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Bettman Hoping To Make NHL
Network Available In U.S. Soon
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman participated in a Q&A with SI.com’s Allan Muir, and said, “We think there will be changes in [hockey-related TV] programming that I’m not at liberty to go into, but the concern that a lot of people are expressing in that regard will be addressed.†Muir asked, “So you’re suggesting there’s a chance that the NHL Network that’s currently available in Canada will find its way onto American satellite or cable TV in time for next season?†Bettman: “That’s what we’re hoping for. We’re in discussions with the distribution sources as we speak.†When asked if the league should run its promos outside of its own telecasts, Bettman said, “Most sports leagues do not run their own promotional spots outside of their own air (time) because the ability to aggregate enough air time the way a consumer products company might do it is not something any of us are in a position to do.†He added of promotions the league is running this season, “We like this year’s (campaign) because we’re now working together with our players, having cooperation, having a partnership. We’re now in a position where we’re doing some things together and that’s something we haven’t been able to do for years and years because we haven’t had the cooperation of the union.†Bettman said of growing the league internationally, “Our primary focus has been getting healthy in North America. ... Once we’re comfortablethat we’re using the strong foundation we’ve created, we’ll move forwardâ€

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman participated in a Q&A with SI.com’s Allan Muir, and said, “We think there will be changes in [hockey-related TV] programming that I’m not at liberty to go into, but the concern that a lot of people are expressing in that regard will be addressed.†Muir asked, “So you’re suggesting there’s a chance that the NHL Network that’s currently available in Canada will find its way onto American satellite or cable TV in time for next season?†Bettman: “That’s what we’re hoping for. We’re in discussions with the distribution sources as we speak.†When asked if the league should run its promos outside of its own telecasts, Bettman said, “Most sports leagues do not run their own promotional spots outside of their own air (time) because the ability to aggregate enough air time the way a consumer products company might do it is not something any of us are in a position to do.†He added of promotions the league is running this season, “We like this year’s (campaign) because we’re now working together with our players, having cooperation, having a partnership. We’re now in a position where we’re doing some things together and that’s something we haven’t been able to do for years and years because we haven’t had the cooperation of the union.†Bettman said of growing the league internationally, “Our primary focus has been getting healthy in North America. ... Once we’re comfortable that we’re using the strong foundation we’ve created, we’ll move forwardâ€

Overall, I like what I read. I think some pretty sound answers from Bettman. I like the part about a partnership between the players and league for promotions- the ones this past season were much better than the ones 2 years ago and I like the answer that he wants a strong NA base first before trying to go international too fast.

MoMiester

Oct 26, 2006
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman participated in a Q&A with SI.com’s Allan Muir, and said, “We think there will be changes in [hockey-related TV] programming that I’m not at liberty to go into, but the concern that a lot of people are expressing in that regard will be addressed.†Muir asked, “So you’re suggesting there’s a chance that the NHL Network that’s currently available in Canada will find its way onto American satellite or cable TV in time for next season?†Bettman: “That’s what we’re hoping for. We’re in discussions with the distribution sources as we speak.†When asked if the league should run its promos outside of its own telecasts, Bettman said, “Most sports leagues do not run their own promotional spots outside of their own air (time) because the ability to aggregate enough air time the way a consumer products company might do it is not something any of us are in a position to do.†He added of promotions the league is running this season, “We like this year’s (campaign) because we’re now working together with our players, having cooperation, having a partnership. We’re now in a position where we’re doing some things together and that’s something we haven’t been able to do for years and years because we haven’t had the cooperation of the union.†Bettman said of growing the league internationally, “Our primary focus has been getting healthy in North America. ... Once we’re comfortable that we’re using the strong foundation we’ve created, we’ll move forwardâ€

When he asked talks about "hockey related TV", he says he can not comment but then is asked about NHL TV, he comments. He would be able to comment on NHL TV and did. I think what he can not comment on "but the concern that a lot of people are expressing in that regard will be addressed.†That is not NHL TV, that is ESPN !!!

I bet with the new VS agreement coming up, they will announce a deal much like the NBA agreement where ESPN has NBA along with a deal with TNT, a station even more out of the way for sports.

I just wonder if in the years to come, you have NBC on weekends showing hockey, ESPN showing games with Vs showing many of the games. Of course, the fight comes for the play-off games.

DrVanntastic

Jun 15, 2006
Wentzville, MO
The fight for playoffs is easily solved IMO. ESPN gets one conference. VS gets the other. NBC gets the Finals.

Only problem is that I don't know what the Canadian broadcast deals are or if they would even matter. :dunno:

Randall Graves*

I also think he's hinting at an additional partner, maybe it's not ESPN, maybe it's SpikeTV or TBS..Wouldn't mind TBS seeing how TNT does their NBA product but thats just me speculating.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Must have a link. If someone has one post it.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
When he asked talks about "hockey related TV", he says he can not comment but then is asked about NHL TV, he comments. He would be able to comment on NHL TV and did. I think what he can not comment on "but the concern that a lot of people are expressing in that regard will be addressed.†That is not NHL TV, that is ESPN !!!

I bet with the new VS agreement coming up, they will announce a deal much like the NBA agreement where ESPN has NBA along with a deal with TNT, a station even more out of the way for sports.

I just wonder if in the years to come, you have NBC on weekends showing hockey, ESPN showing games with Vs showing many of the games. Of course, the fight comes for the play-off games.

Will everyone give it a rest---ESPN will never return to televise the NHL WHEN THEY have other events that are under their existing contracts:shakehead

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Wow, great job Gary, pat yourself on the back for all 17 guys who are going to order your network... we can be neck in neck with the Bass Fishing channel and the WNBA's new Network

mucker*

I'm unclear, can someone explain?

-Does the NHL have a new deal in place with VS, I thought since VS reached a couple more households their option kicked in, meaning they determine the fate of the games NOT the NHL.

-Is it possible the NHL will have games on BOTH ESPN and VS next year? How could this happen, given the poor ratings? I would think a league like the NHL would not be able to have this much of a say and that any agreeing network would demand exclusive coverage?

-How likely is it NHL Network is here?

If we get NHL Network, plus games on BOTH VS and ESPN that would be outstanding, not only would you get games, but the publicity, and supplementary coverage to get you into it, more informed, and create a buzz.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
For games to be on ESPN, ESPN would have to want to show them. This speculation about channels "fighting" over NHL games is laughable.

Versus is the only channel that would put up a fight. And considering nobody else wants the NHL, they don't have to.

The NHL Network would be nice. I'd pay for it. Especially if they showed additional coverage of international/european hockey. Hell, they could even show Junior, College, or Minor League hockey.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
Center Ice up 38%...........

and this probably brings the NHLNetwork to the states next season

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/weblog/comments/the_nhl_channel/

however, talks between the NHL and In Demand, DirecTV and EchoStar are not nearly as acrimonious as the ones Major League Baseball had with cable for the first three months of this year. In fact, multiple cable sources said they expect to launch the NHL Network, which is currently available in Canada, on a digital sports tier before the 2007-08 season. With its Center Ice package up for renewal, the league is leveraging negotiations around that out-of-market package to get carriage for an NHL channel. Subscriptions to “Center Ice†have been strong since the lockout, increasing by 38 percent from pre-lockout levels, according to deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Unlike MLB, though, the NHL is not expected to give cable or satellite operators a stake in its planned channel. It’s not known how much the NHL is seeking to charge cable operators for carriage, but it’s expected to be less than the 20 cents to 30 cents that the MLB Channel will get.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
This morning on local sports radio here in Denver, one of our hosts was talking about some new developments with respect to the NHL Network launching in the US for the upcoming season. Unfortunately, I only caught the very tail end of the show, so I just heard a tiny bit of what he was saying. He seemed to be referring, though, to something about getting an agreement on channel placement with the providers.

Has anyone else heard or seen anything in the last few days? Stevedude?

I suppose it's possible that we'll see some kind of news in the coming days, and he was just offering a bit of a scoop.

PaulKariya

Jun 4, 2007

Your're right, he's talking with ESPN otherwise he could easily have an NHL Network. I think it sounds really positive that we will be able to market and promote with the NHLPA behind the NHL. And with ESPN we wouldn't have NBC because ESPN owns ABC where we would show the National games on TV.

The Korean*

Dream on. NHL will not be on ESPN as long as NBA's contract is still in effect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad