Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Average Hockey player Old CBA 1.8 Mil Average / year Salary

Salary .. $ 1,800, 000 . 00

Less : 24 % rollback ( - $ 432,000.00)
Balance .. $ 1, 368,000.00

Less: Income tax - Payroll deduction @ 40% - ( - 547,200.00 )
Balance .. $ 820, 800.00 k
Less : Union stipent - lockout pay @ 10,000/month - (Oct-May) = ( - $80,000.00)
Balance .. $ 740, 800.00 *(net take home pay)
(excluding other deductions like Union Dues and Other payroll taxes)
So the Average Hockey player would need to find a job in Europe that will pay him about $ 750,000 US per season to break even by the lockout ..

Again a Euro season is 1/2 the length of the NHL to boot ..

Damn those greedy NHLers !!!!!!!!

Not sure how it works out North of the border, but in the US, you must pay taxes on income earned outside the country. You typically get a credit for any taxes you pay to a foreign government, but you still pay at least the US tax average rates.

Bottom line for me: Matt Cullen made more per period of hockey in NHL in 2004 than he made per month in Italy last year. That's not good.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I wonder?

The Messenger said:
Alfredsson Salarys' for 2004/05 as per nhlpa.com ..

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=49

Salary .. $ 5,430, 660 . 00

Less : 24 % rollback ( - $ 1,303,358.00)
Balance .. $ 4, 127,301.00

Less: Income tax - Payroll deduction @ 40% - ( - 1,650,920.00 )
Balance .. $ 2, 476,380.00

Less : Frolunda SEL Salary or other Euro league *estimate* ( - $ 1,000,000.00 )
Balance .. $ 1, 476,380.00

Less : Union stipent - lockout pay @ 10,000/month - (Oct-May) = ( - $80,000.00)
Balance .. $ 1, 396,380.00

Alfredsson is passing up an additional $ 1.4 mil (the average wage in the new NHL by not returning to the NHL.. The excludes Union Dues and other deductions ..

Consider:

That Alfreddsson under the new CBA will not likely receive a $ 5 mil contract again.
That the new CBA may honour the year of wages lost and he would still receive it.
That he gets to play in his home country in front of friends and family.
He won a SEL championship & is representing his country in World Championships

Factor in that the Euro season is 40+ games and not 82 like the NHL
So its $1 mil (net) to play 40 games in your home country.

Or its $ 2.4 mil (net) to play 82 games in a foreign country.

So is it really such a hardship for Alfredsson to sit out another year via the lockout?

Think also of all the other NHLers that found work in Europe during the lockout nearly 1/2 the NHLPA members and most are not making $ 5.5 mil like Alfredsson and losing even less.

Do you actually believe this tripe, or do you just write it to see if anyone else does?

Just so you know, people go through all sorts of grief to achieve an additional 1.4 million dollars.

Also, most players want to play in the NHL.... all 80 odd games.

Those are just a few features of the real world for you to decorate your dream with.

SENSible1*

DR said:
was this ever in doubt ? from the PA's first offer in September, the deal was already in favour of the owners.

the owners are going to extract every pound of flesh that they can and then they are going to feed it to the players.

dr

If the players wake up and get rid of Goodenow before too much damage is done to the upcoming season, then the owners will be far more generous in their final terms.

If they continue to follow Bob down the path to ruin, then the NHL will make them pay in spades.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
At the meetings or not, Goodenow was firmly in control, as was Bettman for the owners. The one time Bobby lost control we almost got a deal done, but he managed to grab it back and embarrass Wayne and Mario in the process. Pretending that the leadrers needed to be physically present to control the direction of the meetings is absurd.

SPECULATION

Thunderstruck said:
I'd say the lost season was a good indication of the players putting their trust in Bob to get a deal done. I imagine that Tie Domi isn't the only players currently questioning the wisdom of that decision, especially since the cost of his failure was to the tune of 1.2 B.

Like messenger said, it will need to be adress in the negociations by both parties. The owners can't unanimously claim that the contracts are 1 year older because of the calendar we use everyday. It's gonna be part of the process in getting a CBA done

Thunderstruck said:
When the paychecks start going missing in the fall, the rumble will begin. Goody won't last long once it starts.

It's funny because since the cancellation of the season, there's more rumbling between the owners & not between the players. What happen to this 300M$ lockout fund ? how many are left ? who got more to lose than 1 guy @ 1,8M$ or 1 owner losing 30-50% of the franchise value if another season is cancel ? do the math, franchise value is like your house. Payday if you have 10M$+ in the bank won't change a thing !

Thunderstruck said:
Proud and stubborn bought Bobby a year. It won't last through a second. If the players had viable alternatives, then he'd be fine. Since there is nowhere else to earn comparable money to even the worst league offer, the players will cave.

SPECULATION ! Wishful thinking & fact are not the same thing

Thunderstruck said:
The biggest bargaining chip the owners have is an NHL paycheck. They won't need any other chips once the PA caves and Goodenow is tossed. However, if they are smart, they throw the new leader a bone or two to help smooth the waters and start forming the partnership BOTH sides need. If they decide that honouring existing contracts is that bone, then so be it, but I have my doubts that the owners or the PA will push for that particular concession. The owners because the cost will be too high for a severely damaged league and the players because it helps some, but hurts others (and the players it helps already made out like bandits under the previous CBA).

On one side, you want the owners to crush the PA & on the other you're talking about PARTNERSHIP ? which one you want ?

SENSible1*

Russian Fan said:
Like messenger said, it will need to be adress in the negociations by both parties. The owners can't unanimously claim that the contracts are 1 year older because of the calendar we use everyday. It's gonna be part of the process in getting a CBA done

The owners honoured the contracts of injured players as if they were counting down and the players accepted the money. Will they be repaying the money and providing their services if they are healthy when play resumes?

Owen Nolan had to put in a special clause to get an extra year out of Leafs. Why was that necessary if the contracts weren't counting down?

This is a non-issue floated by the PA to attempt to get leverage where none exists.

It's funny because since the cancellation of the season, there's more rumbling between the owners & not between the players.

Umm...the issue under discussion was how players would react to lost paychecks for a second season. What does the period from the cancellation until next fall have to do with player paychecks?

What happen to this 300M$ lockout fund ? how many are left ? who got more to lose than 1 guy @ 1,8M$ or 1 owner losing 30-50% of the franchise value if another season is cancel ? do the math, franchise value is like your house. Payday if you have 10M$+ in the bank won't change a thing !

Franchise value won't be a problem at all once a new owner friendly CBA is in place for a couple of seasons. The owners are wealthier and are in this for the long haul. If their franchise value has to take a paper loss in the short term to grow in the long term, it is of little concern to these Billionaires. Players on the other hand have already thrown away one full season of their very short careers. Do you thinkg they'll follow Bobby down the road to a second when they know the PA has caved on most of the issues already?

On one side, you want the owners to crush the PA & on the other you're talking about PARTNERSHIP ? which one you want ?

A change in leadership and the subsequent change in attitude it will bring will go a long way towards forging a partenship. The sooner Bobby is shown the door, the sooner things start getting better for the PA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Thunderstruck said:
If the players wake up and get rid of Goodenow before too much damage is done to the upcoming season, then the owners will be far more generous in their final terms.

If they continue to follow Bob down the path to ruin, then the NHL will make them pay in spades.
well, thats their choice. im sure they are more informed about their decision then you or I are.

dr

Last edited:

Wetcoaster

Thunderstruck said:

I understand Alan Eagleson is looking for a job. I am not sure if it would beunder a work release program or not. The Eagle got along great with the NHL owners so he should be able to reach a deal immediately that would benefit both parties - i.e the NHL owners and Eagleson.

SENSible1*

Wetcoaster said:
I understand Alan Eagleson is looking for a job. I am not sure if it would beunder a work release program or not. The Eagle got along great with the NHL owners so he should be able to reach a deal immediately that would benefit both parties - i.e the NHL owners and Eagleson.

Sure thing Wettie, because of course there is no possibility that another type of leadership could be found anywhere else in the range between toady and confrontational DICK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wetcoaster

Thunderstruck said:
Sure thing Wettie, because of course there is no possibility that another type of leadership could be found anywhere else in the range between toady and confrontational DICK.
Last time I looked it was the NHL who initiated the lockout and it has been the NHLPA who have made concessions.

mackdogs*

Wetcoaster said:
Last time I looked it was the NHL who initiated the lockout and it has been the NHLPA who have made concessions.
Is giving back something you never deserved a concession?

KariyaIsGod*

Wetcoaster said:

Well, the NHLPA needs to give more if they want this league to survive. They probably don't care though...

soilwork2004

Nov 18, 2004

there is absolutly no way in hell alfredsson is making $1,000,000 US/season in Sweden. No way in hell! apparently the highest contract ever offered was $1,000,000 US over 3 years to Huselius after he had his magical season a little while ago which works out to $333,333 US/season. I would be surprised if Alfredsson even makes more than that considering Huselius is regarded as the top player under the SEL system.

Nice try though.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Thunderstruck said:

Let's face it Thunder...the only type of PA leadership you'd be happy with is the one that bends over for the owners completely, because that's what you want.

Brent Burns Beard