NHL looking into hosting games in Mexico City

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Many times over the years when defenders of sunbelt teams would cite the population of the assorted cities I would sarcastically say "by that logic the NHL should have teams in Mexico City." The lesson as always: be careful what you say.

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
Many times over the years when defenders of sunbelt teams would cite the population of the assorted cities I would sarcastically say "by that logic the NHL should have teams in Mexico City." The lesson as always: be careful what you say.
You say that as if sunbelt teams or a one off game in MC are a bad thing. Some people aren't so eternally bitter over where NHL teams are and who's allowed to be a fan. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Maybe they should?

"Futbol" will always be the #1 sport in Mexico, but if the NHL came to town it would be the first US-based pro sport to come to that country. Perhaps that novelty would pay off, much as people have said being "first" to Law Vegas has really helped the Golden Knights?

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
So the NHL is going to take a step into Mexico, and your idea is to have a team based out of Canada, where the country's population is only .42% of Mexican origin(55k people - based off the last census), is your option as the opponent?

The only thing I could think of is having a team with a player of Mexican origin on it partake, in which Toronto would be a good choice because of Auston Matthews. A superstar, and fits that bill. Otherwise I think it would make more sense to have a team like the Stars or Kings partake. The Stars have been outspoken about wanting to be Mexico's team, so I think someone like them would make more sense.
If Dallas or LA want to be Mexico's team they can host a home game there and pick the opponent. I'm not lobbying for a Canadian opponent, just stating that if it was a Canadian opponent there would be a few of us looking to escape winter and see a game. Adding to the success of the event while not completing with the host to be Mexico's team.

Reactions: SirJW

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It's only one game. If a team wants to gamble a home game's worth of revenue on its success than why not do something interesting? Sounds like the Coyotes are up for it. Play a Canadian team in January/February and I might book a flight.
Teams in these games gamble nothing. Basically, for all these special games (outdoor games, global series, etc.), the NHL buys the game from the home team for a price equal to what the team would make on it. The game then becomes an NHL production.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
If Dallas or LA want to be Mexico's team they can host a home game there and pick the opponent. I'm not lobbying for a Canadian opponent, just stating that if it was a Canadian opponent there would be a few of us looking to escape winter and see a game. Adding to the
success of the event while not completing with the host to be Mexico's team.
Such a game (or games} would be run by the NHL,not by the "home team" for the game.

I could see some logic in choosing the Leafs to play in Mexico based on the fact that Auston Matthews' mother is Mexican. Are there other players that are Mexican or have a Mexican parent?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Leagues are more into growing the pie instead of ensuring the pie actually tastes good.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
You say that as if sunbelt teams or a one off game in MC are a bad thing. Some people aren't so eternally bitter over where NHL teams are and who's allowed to be a fan. Have a great Thanksgiving.

No I am saying that it's silly to assume a large population will automatically result in a team being successful in that market. That's been the argument for Phoenix all along.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
What's the tab for the Coyotes at this point? Ironically Anthony LeBlanc maybe the only person to ever make money on that team.
Pretty sure it would take a long time to calculate the Coyotes' tab.

Maybe about...two weeks...

Reactions: Summer Rose

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Why host MLB games in London? Why have NFL games in Europe? This isnt much different. The number of players out of these countries is a rounding error so it's not about being close to your roots. It's all about filling an arena mostly with expats and the small percentage of nationals who are die hard fans of the sport. Tens of thousands of Americans and Canadians live in and around Mexico City, they probably would buy a good chunk of the tickets and wear jerseys of all 32 teams to the game. That's the kind of momentum the league rightly hopes to build. It's not enough to support 41 games a year but it's enough to get tens of thousands of people energized to watch more and maybe wear a jersey around the streets. I was in Mexico during the last two Super Bowls and it's quite a gallery of NFL jerseys around. That kind of support has taken 40 years to build, it doesn't happen just because you play a game a year there either.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2