NHL likely to implement shootouts, other changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
kdb209 said:
My nominee for one of the most jaw droppingly stupid posts of the year.

On one side you have 5 skaters individually (no assists, no passing, none of that teamwork stuff) doing something that is except for very rare occasions completely alien to the normal play of the game. And if you do the numbers 5 skaters + 1 goalie per side = 12 total players out of 40.

On the other side you have 4 skaters from each team doing just what they've been doing for the last 60 minutes - face offs, line changes, passing, play making, you know - playing hockey. There are still line changes - the same 4 don't play all 5 minutes, you know. And again if you do the numbers, except for backup goalies and maybe a slightly shorter bench, everybody plays = 38 minus a goon or two.

So tell me again, which one is more of a team game?????
Again, only 5 players decide the OT with 4 on 4, the other players are all on the bench. 6 players decide a shootout.

To all these people whininn about shootouts not being a team game, how would you feel if every skater took one? Would you like it then or are you using the "team" thing as a poor excuse.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
EndBoards said:
Like they already do? What we have - penalizing the team with a short-man situation - doesn't work... How many 'crackdowns' have we tried with no success?

Obstruction has already 'exploded' because players know that the refs won't blow the whistle - especially if late and the score is close. They already haul down players on odd man breaks because the refs & fans don't to have 40 minutes of PP/PK time per team/per game.

If this caused obstruction to further 'explode' as you say, then fine. The guys that do it the most would sit in the box the most. Eventually the benches would get short enough that the remaining players would be gassed and their opponents would walk all over them. Teams that rely on obstruction would get hammered and their coaches would change the system or be fired.

Sorry you don't like the idea, but it solves the problem. It frees up the refs to make the call without deciding the game, it keeps repeat offenders off the ice, making them less valuable in the marketplace.

If you thought obstruction has exploded before, at any hint of a chance, a player would be taken down, increased stoppages would ruin the game.

Anyone with any kind of rational thought will tell you that lessening the punshment of offences will lead to an increase in said offences.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Steve L said:
Originally Posted by kdb209
My nominee for one of the most jaw droppingly stupid posts of the year.

On one side you have 5 skaters individually (no assists, no passing, none of that teamwork stuff) doing something that is except for very rare occasions completely alien to the normal play of the game. And if you do the numbers 5 skaters + 1 goalie per side = 12 total players out of 40.

On the other side you have 4 skaters from each team doing just what they've been doing for the last 60 minutes - face offs, line changes, passing, play making, you know - playing hockey. There are still line changes - the same 4 don't play all 5 minutes, you know. And again if you do the numbers, except for backup goalies and maybe a slightly shorter bench, everybody plays = 38 minus a goon or two.

So tell me again, which one is more of a team game?????
Again, only 5 players decide the OT with 4 on 4, the other players are all on the bench. 6 players decide a shootout.

To all these people whininn about shootouts not being a team game, how would you feel if every skater took one? Would you like it then or are you using the "team" thing as a poor excuse.

Well using your silly definition when the shootout is tied going to the last skater, only two players decide a shootout - all previous shooters and the other goalie are irrelevant at that point and are effectively "on the bench".

Would I feel any differently if every skater took a shot - no. It still wouldn't be a team game, just a larger number of individual efforts.

Hockey is a team sport. Success depends on teamwork, the cooperation of multiple players, in different roles, executing game plans towards a common goal.

It is not a bunch of independent indivdual efforts.

Hockey = team sport
Tennis (singles) = individual sport

See the difference???

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Hoss said:
5 on 5 ot for 5 minutes, then shootout. No shoot outs in playoffs.

If shootouts are good enough to decide who does or doesn't gets into the playoffs, why shouldn't they be used to decide who gets through/knocked out of the playoffs? Exactly the same.

Who whould want to see the Stanley Cup handed to the team that won the most shootouts in the SC finals. Imagine that, one side wins 3 games, the other 4 shootouts.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
me2 said:
If shootouts are good enough to decide who does or doesn't gets into the playoffs, why shouldn't they be used to decide who gets through/knocked out of the playoffs? Exactly the same.
I can see your point, however John Public does not want to stay in the rink for 5 OT periods for a regular season game. And it is about John Public, the regular dude with his brats, not the die hard purist. Public opinion polls support the shootout and an end to tie games, I don't think it's going away.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
Hoss said:
I can see your point, however John Public does not want to stay in the rink for 5 OT periods for a regular season game. And it is about John Public, the regular dude with his brats, not the die hard purist. Public opinion polls support the shootout and an end to tie games, I don't think it's going away.

I never realized there were so many Hockey Traditionalist Prima Donnas before.

Incredible.

I wonder if there was so much jaw gnashing when they got rid of the rovers.

If you don't know what a rover was, you can't possibly be seriously defending the history of the game.

I think that a regular season tie is... fine, I guess. I hate 4 on 4 OT. I think a shootout would be a lot of fun for the kids, and even for a lot of the adults. I think the people who pretend to take huge offence will watch them anyway.

This is why the NHL will do it.

Why is it good enough to decide playoff participation but not playoff results?

Because it just is. When you make a set of rules, you get to outline stuff like that. ;)

King_Brown

They should have no nets, just shoot it at free will, and if the goalie in more reduced equipment cant stop it, then too bad.

King_Brown

Yup, lets make it a free wheeling game again, you know instead of thoose boring 9-8 games, lets take it a step further, make it 35-34 games instead. Players can shoot anywhere past the new red line, the goalie has to be alert though.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
King_Brown said:
Yup, lets make it a free wheeling game again, you know instead of thoose boring 9-8 games, lets take it a step further, make it 35-34 games instead. Players can shoot anywhere past the new red line, the goalie has to be alert though.

I've changed my mind about shootouts.

I've thought about it for a good hour and realized that it is all a big conspiracy to steal Calgary's best players.

I will resist this because then Calgary and Alberta will become even angrier and Western Alienation will cause many Global News Specials to come into being.

King_Brown

Montrealer said:
I've changed my mind about shootouts.

I've thought about it for a good hour and realized that it is all a big conspiracy to steal Calgary's best players.

I will resist this because then Calgary and Alberta will become even angrier and Western Alienation will cause many Global News Specials to come into being.

Its all about radical changes, I don't know where this liberal party stealing money from hard working Canadians came into play.

Spankatola Jamnuts*

Bring Back Bucky said:
Honestly, I would turn off the television when a shootout came on.

No you wouldn't. What a load of crap.

Spungo*

MHA said:
in regular season shootouts are fun, in the playoffs no way.

I want to see the oval nets used

No way man, those other nets are much better. The ones that look the same as the current nets but are 8 inches wider and 4 inches taller. Those oval nets open up most of the room right around the goalies head. How is that safe?

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
kdb209 said:
Hockey is a team sport. Success depends on teamwork, the cooperation of multiple players, in different roles, executing game plans towards a common goal.

It is not a bunch of independent indivdual efforts.

Hockey = team sport
Tennis (singles) = individual sport

See the difference???
Basketball = team sport, yet free throws decide many a game. Thats an individual effort.
Football = team sport, yet field goals decide many a game. Thats also an individual effort.
Majority of baseball is 1 on 1.

Whats wrong with saying "you have 65 minutes to determine a winner. If we dont have a winner after that, we are breaking it down to the fundamentals and letting individuals decide"?

Apparently its coming, so you purists better get the whining out of your system now.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
me2 said:
Most people would love to see every game played 5on5 till a winner is decided, but here in reality, its not practical. So no, its not exactly the same.

Spungo*

HockeyCritter said:
Then it would be in the TEAM’s best interest to play hard for 65 minutes to ensure they don’t tie, eh?

Well said. I'm sick of these "it's not fair to lose one measly point in a shootout" cry-babies. If you can't win in regulation time, you don't deserve 2 points. It's simple as that. No, you didn't miss the playoffs because of a shootout, you missed the playoffs because you couldn't beat the team you were playing.

Tie games are for sissies and pansies, period. In sports, there is a winner and there is a loser. Enough of this "let's share two points so we can both be happy boys!" nonsense.

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
Cawz said:
Whats wrong with saying "you have 65 minutes to determine a winner. If we dont have a winner after that, we are breaking it down to the fundamentals and letting individuals decide"?

Apparently its coming, so you purists better get the whining out of your system now.

Well, good to know you love the other 3 sports so much. Go watch them, this is hockey. Football you can have a field goal block, the linesmen aren't nothing... basketball FTs are consequence of a penalty, but let's not get in the way of a bad argument.

What's wrong with going home after 65 minutes and declaring the game a draw? If we want to let it go to fundamentals why not have a passing contest or a game of the hardest check as registered on a meter? Hell, we might as well flip a damn coin as that's what a shootout amounts to. It'd be a lot faster.

Inevitable != acceptable, in 3 years a good chunk of us will get an "I told you so" and we'll still be ticked off with you guys for bastardizing the game because ties hurt your brain.

Spungo*

Patman said:
Inevitable != acceptable, in 3 years a good chunk of us will get an "I told you so"

I know we will, and you and your anti-shootout friends will be very embarrassed. If shootouts are good enough for the most popular sport on the planet earth, they are good enough for the NHL. Tie games are for girly-boys, so stop crying about shootouts :cry:

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Patman said:
Well, good to know you love the other 3 sports so much. Go watch them, this is hockey. Football you can have a field goal block, the linesmen aren't nothing... basketball FTs are consequence of a penalty, but let's not get in the way of a bad argument.
Ha. Well, I was responding to someone else that was using other sports as a comparison.

No **** FTs are the consequence of a foul. Shootouts are a consequence of a team unable to get the job done. Whats your point. They are all part of the game.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Spungo said:
If shootouts are good enough for the most popular sport on the planet earth, they are good enough for the NHL.
Shootouts are not used in any regular season soccer game.

Spungo said:
Tie games are for girly-boys, so stop crying about shootouts :cry:
Know what? Tie games are allowed in the most popular sport on the planet earth, so they should be good enough for the NHL, right?

:biglaugh:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
helicecopter said:
Shootouts are not used in any regular season soccer game.

Know what? Tie games are allowed in the most popular sport on the planet earth, so they should be good enough for the NHL, right?

:biglaugh:
And Soccer sells how well here?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
helicecopter said:
Mmmh, i think you missed my point.. re-read Spungo's quoted words..it was just a conclusion drawn by his logic.
(Not that i have any problem with ties though..)
My point is we shouldn't be using soccer as any template for success in the states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad