NHL Jobs

octopus1z

Dec 27, 2004
wow, thanks a lot. i really appreciate the info and any other info if people have it. thanks.

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
I am Jack's Fish said:
After I started with HF and guided it for a few years, I eventually parlayed that into a gig with a minor-league hockey team in Miami as the Director of Communications.
...when it came time to get a play-by-play guy, I said I would do it. I didnt have the experience, but I did have the knowledge and love of the game. The owner of the team gave me the chance, and after a rough first game...I became the voice of the Manatees.

I have an anthropology degree btw.
My friend has adegree in forestry. Now he's one of the leading sales executives for a major chemical company in Southern California.
Funny how things work out.
}:)>

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Sadly, the days of the professional announcer seems to be going by the wayside.

If you want an announcing job now, just be a former player. That's also why I think the quality of announcing has gone way down with networks replacing real trained broadcasters with whatever idiot former player is willing to do the job.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
My wife's a former journalist and I considered the career path myself coming out of high school. It seems that there a lot of ways to get started - several people just have Bachelor's in Journalism or Mass Comm. Some have Master's degrees in said fields, some just have community college diplomas.

I think a lot of it has to do with geography, though. The "big 3" schools of journalism in Canada are all located in the East: Carleton in Ottawa, Ryerson in Toronto, Concordia in Montreal. Consequently, a lot of people who get their start in Journalism elsewhere in the country have community college degrees instead.

One thing to watch if considering this as a career: it's hard as hell. The competition is fierce, the jobs are scarce, you'll likely be required to move frequently and the pay is quite low until you get to the top - which may be never. I'm not saying "don't do it", but be prepared to make a lot of sacrifices to get there.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
octopus1z said:
Does anyone know what play-by-play guys usually get a degree in...

Cheerleading. ;)

If you are seeking such a career path, a communications degree is a good place to start. Hands on experience, in school and outside, is a must. Off the top of my head, a US school well-known for its communications program (and for graduates who have gone on to very successful careers in the profession) is Syracuse University. But there are numerous others.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I hear some guys doing play-by-play today, and I find myself missing Dan Kelly more and more.

No, not Dan Kelly Jr. who did PBP for the Blues and later the Blue Jackets and isn't even a shadow of his father - I'm talking about the Hall of Fame broadcaster who was the voice of the Blues from 1968 until his death in 1989 and was widely used by many networks to call the NHL playoffs for much of that time.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
It's funny you ask. I hope to do the same thing someday. Though lately I've been sort of thinking whether its the best thing to do as there are not that many play by play positions to fill in this world. If not just anything in sports broadcasting. But I guess growing up in South America could probably play against me.
I hope to be able to go to Ryerson and study broadcast journalism there. But there really aren't many places where I live to get experience. I have good grades though. Do you guys think I have a shot?

binder19

Mar 8, 2006
Help for a young gun

Hey guys i'm a college student who is looking for any type of experience in the NHL. I do not care what it is, it could be working as a coffee getter for a writer covering a team or the kid who washes the minor league teams game socks... I dont care. i love the game and I can only dream about being a part of it for a career. if anyone has some advice for a young kid in school I would appreciate it beyond words. i am a smart kid who works his tail off in school and has the grades to show for it and as i like to think is a people person who hopefully can work in an industry such as this. this website has introduced me to many men and women who are wise beyond my years with advice and criticism to spare. any help would be great. cheers! :cheers:

geezette

Jun 9, 2006
30 yrs in the minors
Each and every hockey team has interns. Most of the time, they are through school and serving as free help for a while, Sometimes, though, they take a semester off from school to do it. Lots of minor league teams then hire their intern if he or she has been impressive enough in their "audition". Check websites for employment opportunities and then send in your resume. Do you have a major that fits into marketing, telecommunications, journalism, or possibly infotech? You can check out Junior A teams as well.
Offering to do anything might be how you feel now, but what skills to you have that can make you valuable to a company in the entertainment business?
Good luck

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
I'm not going to make a new question, but this is just for fun..

How much does an NHL Zamboni driver get paid?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
reej said:
I'm not going to make a new question, but this is just for fun..

How much does an NHL Zamboni driver get paid?

Probably like $150 a game (if thats all he does part-time, come in on nights and cut the ice for a hockey game). If he works at the rink all day long with the ice and stuff then im sure he'd have a much higher salary.

Whalerfan11

Feb 28, 2006
They get paid something like 30 bucks an hour for 6 hours or something like that. I was a zamboni driver myself but never got past 8 bucks an hour. But then again I only made ice at a local rink.

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
If I'm eventually looking for a job in either upper management in hockey or basketball, or as a sports agent...what kind of university degree would be the most useful?
I'm applying soon...I'm either thinking
Bachelor of Arts for Poli Sci and business followed by the law school
(Western) (U of T)
or
Bachelor of Commerce w/ poli sci minor followed by law school
(McMaster)
or
Bachelor of Management and Organizational Studies followed by law school
(Western)
or
Bachelor of Arts in Economics/Philosophy/Political Science followed by law school
(Laurier)

So taking into consideration the schools and the programs, what do you guys think would be better for those 2 occupations?

PuckDrop

Jul 28, 2006
Go to http://www.smww.com. That stands for Sports Management World Wide. They offer online courses in for just about every area of every sport -- scounting, management, agent, etc. Nothing on coaching, though.

I think you can get a lot of good info there.

My vote would be to learn everything you can about business, sports and the law.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad