NHL-IIHF transfer agreement ratified; 4 years

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
so how much are the deals worth? I still don't think Euro teams are getting fair market value for the players they develop. NHL teams should have to pay up if they want foreign imports.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
so how much are the deals worth? I still don't think Euro teams are getting fair market value for the players they develop. NHL teams should have to pay up if they want foreign imports.

Both the Hockey News and TSN pieces are the same AP wire copy:

Highlights of the new agreement include:

-The deadline for signing players under contract is June 15, for each of the four years. IIHF players subject to NHL draft-related rights and who have not yet signed an NHL contract must be signed by the NHL team by June 1 in any year of the current agreement.

-Players not under contract to an IIHF team may be signed by an NHL team at any time.

-The NHL pays a development fee of US$9 million for the first 45 players - US$200,000 per player. If more than 45 IIHF players are signed, the NHL pays an additional US$200,000 for each extra player.

-Players selected in the NHL draft can be signed until July 15 or Aug. 15 in the year they are drafted. The NHL pays an additional fee of US$100,000 for signing players in the later window between July 16 and Aug. 15.

-The IIHF is compensated for players who are signed by NHL clubs but who are not on the team's roster for at least 30 games - including playoffs - in their first season. Those funds - between US$50,000 and US$100,000 depending on draft round selection - will be used for IIHF player transfers to the NHL which are outside the agreement.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
So... what exactly is the status of the Russian players then? Would it affect mainly the players who have not signed NHL contracts and are they at all close on to an agreement with the Russians? What is the latest?

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
200, 000 seems cheap for a player that a foreign team develops. the foreign team should be able to sell for whatever they want..... this is capitalism right?

Muscle Bob

Aug 7, 2005
Russia
www.russianhockeyfans.com
Russian government closes hockey contract loophole
284984693ed101944f.gif

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

"Earlier this week, the Russian Duma passed the first draft of legislation to partially exclude professional athletes and coaches from a labor law that allows employees to leave their jobs without any compensation to be paid to their employers. This can be invoked by providing 14 days written notice.

Under the terms of the new law, compensation will be owed when players or coaches leave before the end of their contracts. The maximum compensation will be two-thirds the value of the contract."

I think that's pretty fair. So the player leaves and the team needs to pay the club 2/3 of his remaining contract at the maximum? Pretty good deal for the Russian clubs.

I also like that the Russian teams can't just release a guy without compensation, either. Not only is it more fair for the Russian teams with the compensation for them, it's also more fair for the players.

Muscle Bob

Aug 7, 2005
Russia
Jonathan. said:
I think that's pretty fair. So the player leaves and the team needs to pay the club 2/3 of his remaining contract at the maximum? Pretty good deal for the Russian clubs.
Not really. If player leaves he should pay 2/3 of average salary he got in club per year.
For example, if player got $1m in first season, $2m in second, and then decides to leave team, he should pay 2/3*1.5 ($3m for 2 years => $1.5 average for 1 year) = $1m.

I also like that the Russian teams can't just release a guy without compensation, either. Not only is it more fair for the Russian teams with the compensation for them, it's also more fair for the players.
Yep, I like that too :)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
While I think you're nitpicking at my math a bit too much there, we do both agree that it is a good thing.

I always felt that the Russians got ****ed in the ass with the transfer agreement -- as do ALL European teams.

They should at LEAST get the contract that they signed the player to bought out and the 2/3 buyout is a very good thing, AFAIC. All teams should get that.

Muscle Bob

Aug 7, 2005
Russia
Jonathan. said:
While I think you're nitpicking at my math a bit too much there, we do both agree that it is a good thing.
I'm just not sure that you can understand my english right :naughty:

They should at LEAST get the contract that they signed the player to bought out and the 2/3 buyout is a very good thing, AFAIC. All teams should get that.
Yep, what I like in 2/3 buyout that it really displays how much that player means to his team. But I would change 2/3 of average salary to 2/3 of last year salary.
In this case, Metallurg woudn't get much money for Malkin, just because when he started playing for Metallurg he didn't get payed much. 2/3 of average works fine with not young players, and works bad with young players (like Cherepanov next year, I'm not sure he will get more than $500,000 next season, so if law have been already in action now, compensation wouldn't be high). While compensation for Perezhogin (example only, I don't think somebody will even try to buy-out him :D) would be high (2/3*$1.7m=$1.1m).

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
I always felt that the Russians got ****ed in the ass with the transfer agreement -- as do ALL European teams.

The problem here is that the $200,000 is much more reasonable to some teams than others. You can easily see how that money is different to a Finnish club using $2M to salaries and a Russian club using $10M. Of course there are some other problems with the deal, namely people thinking that those deadlines etc. don't really seem to matter anything and the rules can be bend if some NHL team wants a player.

Wetcoaster

Yup, who did the RSL think they were?? The NFL?:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad