NHL GM's/owners pulling players from international tourneys

Status
Not open for further replies.

millions

Feb 8, 2006
Have heard rumblings that some NHL owners and GM's are considering not allowing players to participate in the next Olympics and such. With injuries to Jagr, Hasek, and Sakic, there are obvious concerns as they are all key to their respective NHL teams playoff races.

Granted, the injuries are not particularly serious, but they are certainly enough to raise eyebrows. The competition level is increasing across the board, as is the physical play, thereby becoming a pretty serious expenditure for some NHL teams.
Should it go back to a purely amateur-non paid tournament?

Just curious for some thoughts on this as I am a bit on the fence on this one...
:dunno:

shawn_kemp*

Please, can we talk about this in one week, after the final? It just ruins this incredible tourney, which I personnally consider the best Olympics ever! And I'm sure many others agree.

Please, 1 week.

millions

Feb 8, 2006
shawn_kemp said:
Please, can we talk about this in one week, after the final? It just ruins this incredible tourney, which I personnally consider the best Olympics ever! And I'm sure many others agree.

Please, 1 week.

Sorry I brought it up. I agree, this has been a good tournament in that there is a level of parity not seen before. Fantastic hockey across the board for some of the lesser hockey powers.

As for the topic, I never knew it was so hotly debated/despised. However, i'm sure there is some pretty hot debate in the rooms of the people that pay these players...

millions

Feb 8, 2006
Lion of the North said:
There are no amateurs of any quality except juniors, every league of any quality employ paid professionals.

Yes, I agree 100%. I never said I wanted to go back to the old system. The hockey event is the Superbowl of the Olympics and the best in the world should participate. I guess the last bit of injuries got everyone rankled as bit. However, if a legitimate cup contender lost its marqee/franchise player for the balance of the season, attitudes would change (for those in that market). That being said, it is also dangerous taking the first step out of the house as well...(I just don't want Olympic participation to become some scapegoat as to why a particular team misses winning the cup).

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
I don't think the international teams would mind too much. A certain east European team, whose flag is below my user name, wouldn't have to improvise solutions for Stumpel and Handzus. All of this is hypothetically speaking. Plus, it'd be a field day for scouts.

That said, I hope that NHLers continue to participate in the Olympics. Even with my original favorites, the Czechs, underperforming, I've thoroughly enjoyed this tourney so far. Seen a lot of great hockey: from the traditionally strong Swedes, to the improving Finns, to the cindarella Swiss. This is a great experience for hockey ona global scale.

millions

Feb 8, 2006
Thanks thebodyczech for at least some semblance of a response. I didn't open this for debate whether we should or not have NHL players in the games (of course we should). It's not in our power. I'm just wondering about the owner's mentality right now. If I owned a company (which is exactly what a hockey team is), and my prime assets were in a position to be removed from what gave me my bottom line, I would have serious concerns.

Let me put it this way... Ever come between a millionaire and his millions. Thats what I am talking about. This has zero to do with patriotism and everything to do with success (financial and egotistical).

How many owners in the last Olympics said they had the most players on the team that brought home the gold. Its not their goal. But you know you could ask them after this season how many man games their team lost due to Olympic participation.

Yes, I agree, it may not be time to bring this up, but personally, I don't think the Olympics are a good measure of hockey inasmuch that the competition is so short and limited. It's nice to win, but I think the Stanley Cup is much better.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I would be happy with the NHL and the Olympics parting ways... while it is great to watch, the games come at such a critical point in the NHL regular season, its too risky for some players. And how about rewarding the Canadians that play in Europe out of love for the game, and get to play in the Olympics?

millions

Feb 8, 2006
Yea jtuzzi, I agree that there a alot of guys not getting on the team (hence so many Canadians playing on other teams eg: Italian goalie that kicked ***, and whatshisface (DiPietro) that killed us from the Swiss team.

I remember when they did allow the pros and there were 25 guys that lost their dream. I was pretty divided at that time as it did sort of break with what was the accepted rule.

I believe it was when the Summer Olympics went with the NBA players (and at that time, you knew it was a cakewalk for the USA). Funny how that changed...

Same thing in hockey. People ***** that the last amatuers in hockey are the juniors. Well yea. See how they did this year. That is the absolute best litmus test on how the Canadian program is. They kicked butt, so maybe we're on our way back, because internationally we have been getting it handed to us more than we like to accept.

Unfortunately for the amateur, the genies out of the bottle, so it won't change internationally. The only ones that can change it are the money men and the accountants. Go back to non-paid players, there is still a way to have a star make 3M a year and not be 'officially' paid.

Saw something today that mirrors that in some way that I never even knew. The '72 Canada team (pro or not) boycotted the 1972 Olympics. Need to look that one up, but you know it would have been anticlamactic after the Summit of '72 anyhow.

Jazz

shawn_kemp said:

Please, 1 week.
I agree, I have posted my views on this in about 3 or 4 threads on this very topic already this week (that it would be short-sighted and narrow-minded for the NHL to pull out of the Olympics).....

Let's wait until Sunday to discuss this, or simply continue one of the many threads already on this.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
jtuzzi said:
I would be happy with the NHL and the Olympics parting ways... while it is great to watch, the games come at such a critical point in the NHL regular season, its too risky for some players. And how about rewarding the Canadians that play in Europe out of love for the game, and get to play in the Olympics?

Ok, now first of all, who are these Canadiens who are playing in Europe out of the love of the game? I know they are better paid than most of the other players.

Second, what about those NHLers, who want to participate in the olympics? Should we discriminate them on the basis that we can reward Canadiens playing in Europe?

Canada doesn't have to take the NHLers, if you wish to "reward" the players playing in Europe. Who says you have to take your best team to the olympics? :dunno:

millions

Feb 8, 2006
Jazz said:
I agree, I have posted my views on this in about 3 or 4 threads on this very topic already this week (that it would be short-sighted and narrow-minded for the NHL to pull out of the Olympics).....

Let's wait until Sunday to discuss this, or simply continue one of the many threads already on this.

Yes, I humbly agree, it is in bad taste to carry on...Go Canada
(Damnit Smyth, score)

millions

Feb 8, 2006
Oh, the sarcasm, but great point. As others have mentioned, it really is not the time to dabate this (reminds me of when I mentioned when my girlfriend was once thinner - we all know how that ended).

As a total sidetrack (I know you watch other Olymipic crap as well), what about that Dale Begg-Smith (Mogul guy). Individual sport...personally thought the Canadian system sucked for him...moved to a better system (flexible), and yet maintained and grew a $40-50 million business...and yet won the gold (priceless).

Annoying yet extremely impessive guy.

Same example, the US speedskater Shani Davis...really has nothing to do with the US speed skating program. Best in the world.

Not sure of my point other than to get off topic and show how easy it is for one rebel to win one medal in a minute and a half.

Hockey: 22 x 60 x 8 = by FAR the hardest medal to win

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
millions said:
Have heard rumblings that some NHL owners and GM's are considering not allowing players to participate in the next Olympics and such. With injuries to Jagr, Hasek, and Sakic, there are obvious concerns as they are all key to their respective NHL teams playoff races.

So they're willing to break the new CBA already, just because of a couple injuries? What happens after 2010 I don't know, but they have mutually agreed on sending the NHL players to Vancouver in 2010. If they withdraw from that, I guess the CBA doesn't mean nada anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad