NHL GameCentre in TO?

craiggerz

Oct 8, 2008
I'm considering NHL GameCentre as I don't have cable tv, but I came across this link:

http://thereckoner.com/?p=198

Now I'm concerned, could anyone tell me if his complaints are true? I should get most of the Sens games in TO right since they are blacked out? What about CBC Sens games on Saturday nights when local CBC carries the Leaf games?

Thanks in advance.

DG

Sep 19, 2006
Toronto
Completely accurate.

In Toronto, you're not likely to get about a third of the Sens' games. Anything on CBC or TSN is definitely blacked out.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
CBC streams the out of market games for you, and if you want to check out what's blacked out, you can go to the gamecentre website and type in your postal code, and it will tell you what teams are blacked out.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
You just need a VPN service.
I'm also in TO - I use unblock-us.com which is an extra $5/month. Super easy to set up and it makes you seem like you are in the states so nothing is blocked out.

Without it every game locally available through TSN, TSN2, CBC or Sportsnet is blacked out

Bazel5

Apr 4, 2011
I'm in the same boat as the OP (Ottawa fan in Toronto). National CBC games are streamed so that blackout for those games won't be an issue for me.

But does anyone know how often TSN (in Toronto) broadcasts Ottawa games? Does this ever happens? Or does the blackout apply for all TSN Ottawa broadcasted games in Ontario?

craiggerz

Oct 8, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

I'm also in TO - I use unblock-us.com which is an extra $5/month. Super easy to set up and it makes you seem like you are in the states so nothing is blocked out.

Without it every game locally available through TSN, TSN2, CBC or Sportsnet is blacked out

Do you know if HotSpotShield works? I'm able to get that on my phone so it would be handy.

So CBC/TSN games are not blacked out if I'm VPNing from the States? If so it seems like this would work out perfectly.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I'm in the same boat as the OP (Ottawa fan in Toronto). National CBC games are streamed so that blackout for those games won't be an issue for me.

But does anyone know how often TSN (in Toronto) broadcasts Ottawa games? Does this ever happens? Or does the blackout apply for all TSN Ottawa broadcasted games in Ontario?

We should be able to get roughly 34 games for Ottawa via GCL (as that's how many Sportsnet has rights for). The only thing I'm not sure on is the overlaps between SNET, RDS and CBC in some instances.

Basically if its listed as having TSN or CBC or RDS as a rightsholder, don't expect to get it on GCL.

DG

Sep 19, 2006
Toronto
Thanks for the replies.

Do you know if HotSpotShield works? I'm able to get that on my phone so it would be handy.

So CBC/TSN games are not blacked out if I'm VPNing from the States? If so it seems like this would work out perfectly.

I didn't think it works, but I haven't tried for a couple of years, so worth another try?

You are correct about VPN's from the US though. I use unblock-us as well, and that works great.

Bazel5

Apr 4, 2011
We should be able to get roughly 34 games for Ottawa via GCL (as that's how many Sportsnet has rights for). The only thing I'm not sure on is the overlaps between SNET, RDS and CBC in some instances.

Basically if its listed as having TSN or CBC or RDS as a rightsholder, don't expect to get it on GCL.

ok thanks for the reply. I was just doubtful that there would be any Ottawa games being broadcasted in Leafs nation besides on CBC.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I posted this on the main board, but sadly no responses.. Maybe someone here might know.

Here is my dilemma. Im a Senators fan living in Sudbury, and Im so confused about the whole blackout situation and how it exactly works.

For the last 3 years, maybe more, I've had eastlink cable (or persona or whatever it was before) and purchase the center ice package/super sports pack. I watch every single Sens game.

BUT, here is the kicker. The Sens games are never listed on the digital guide, I actually have to flip through all of the center ice channels until I find it. Ive called and asked about this, and they tell me the sens are/should be blacked out here?

Every single game is available on an unlisted channel. Usually the same one. Never in HD though on the HD center ice channels, even though the game is being broadcast in HD elsewhere.

Is this A) a cool employee making sure us Sudbury sens fans get the game, B) a terrible customer service rep who mislead me, or C) a terrible cable company who cant fix their mistake, year after year??

And the big question is, if I get game center, will there be any hassle at all with me watching the Senators in Sudbury?? Im sick of not watching the games in HD, and gamecenter might be the answer.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I posted this on the main board, but sadly no responses.. Maybe someone here might know.

Here is my dilemma. Im a Senators fan living in Sudbury, and Im so confused about the whole blackout situation and how it exactly works.

For the last 3 years, maybe more, I've had eastlink cable (or persona or whatever it was before) and purchase the center ice package/super sports pack. I watch every single Sens game.

BUT, here is the kicker. The Sens games are never listed on the digital guide, I actually have to flip through all of the center ice channels until I find it. Ive called and asked about this, and they tell me the sens are/should be blacked out here?

Every single game is available on an unlisted channel. Usually the same one. Never in HD though on the HD center ice channels, even though the game is being broadcast in HD elsewhere.

Is this A) a cool employee making sure us Sudbury sens fans get the game, B) a terrible customer service rep who mislead me, or C) a terrible cable company who cant fix their mistake, year after year??

And the big question is, if I get game center, will there be any hassle at all with me watching the Senators in Sudbury?? Im sick of not watching the games in HD, and gamecenter might be the answer.

Thats all really random.

But the same thing goes for everywhere - if you get GCL + VPN you will have no problemo, assuming your internet can handle it. I used GCL through apple tv and its awesome quality.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Thanks for the replies.

I honestly don't know about that hotspotshield question. I didn't have time to look into all the options but I always recommend unblock-us because its so easy to set up and really cheap. I also use it for US Netflix

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Thats all really random.

But the same thing goes for everywhere - if you get GCL + VPN you will have no problemo, assuming your internet can handle it. I used GCL through apple tv and its awesome quality.

Random doesnt even begin to describe it. ****ING strange/aggravating is a better way to put it. Even though I know it will come on, I get a little bit scared every single time when its 1 minute past and I cant find it. Its pretty funny because I dont even know one other Sens fan up here (who buys the center ice pack) to confirm whether or not its just me, or everyone.

But thanks, I think Im going to try this VPN with gamecenter and see if I cant start breathing a little more easily before games.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010

Will that site help me get an American Netflix as well?

Can you use it through a PS3?

Thanks!

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Will that site help me get an American Netflix as well?

Can you use it through a PS3?

Thanks!

Yeah American netflix is why I got it. It's super easy.

And yes you can use ps3 - there's specfic set up instructions for all kinds of items on that site.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad