NHL franchises up for sale in the near future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SedinFan*

It's all about attendance, the teams that possibly could be related due to poor attendance over the years are Buffalo, Washington, Carolina and Anaheim.

Pittsburgh is about to get a new arena, so I exclude them, Phoenix I believe should be included in that list, however its doubtfull they'd move.

The best solution for the NHL wouldn't be to relocate all of the teams, but contract a few, then relocate a couple to Portland and KC.

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
KC isnt gonna get a team. I really cant see that. Arent people in KC blues fans anyway? What is the plan for portland? That has been talked about for so long.

ExplosiveLEAFman

Jan 6, 2004
Didn't Phoenix just get a brand new arena last hockey season? Seems unlikey they would move. And Kansas City seems like a great location to me.

ExplosiveLEAFman

Jan 6, 2004
St. Louis doesn't really have anything to do with it. Kansas City just built an arena and I think they already have a group in place looking to land some type of sports franchise.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
explosivethinman said:
St. Louis doesn't really have anything to do with it. Kansas City just built an arena and I think they already have a group in place looking to land some type of sports franchise.

The arena is being built and will be done in 2007. There's a group here in Houston that has been trying to bring the NHL here for awhile now and all they needed before was a suffecient arena. The New Toyota center is Designed for the Hockey and Basketball. I think if the Preds continue to draw 12,000 people eventhough they are undefeated they will move either here or KC.

Buffalo Stylee

Apr 4, 2004
Buffalo/Niagara
Zack Attack said:
It's all about attendance, the teams that possibly could be related due to poor attendance over the years are Buffalo...

The Sabres are going nowhere. So nobody else needs to bring them up in this thread. They're locked to stay here til at least 2020.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
Fake Plastic Sabre said:
The Sabres are going nowhere. So nobody else needs to bring them up in this thread. They're locked to stay here til at least 2020.

I think it's safe to say that all original expansion teams are safe as well as the ones from the 70's, 80's and Early 90's.

Oil_slick9416*

CTBruins87 said:
Can anyone put any information in here regarding any teams going up for sale, and the possibilities of them moving? I was told this is the best place to put a thread like this.

a day late and a buck short my friend. :teach:

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
explosivethinman said:

Missouri doesn't have an NBA team, so I wouldn't mind seeing KC get a basketball team. That would fit well with their brand new arena and would generate the same kind, if not more revenue than a hockey team.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
Guy Legend said:
Missouri doesn't have an NBA team, so I wouldn't mind seeing KC get a basketball team. That would fit well with their brand new arena and would generate the same kind, if not more revenue than a hockey team.

KC is too into their College ball teams. The NBA would suffer.

Spooky371*

I listen Sens - Canes game at TV right now, and the arena are just vacuum, I think is the 1st team to considered for an eventual sale.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
CTBruins87 said:
Why is KC so great when St. louis is already there? I dont get that.

It's closer from Hartford to either New York or Boston than it is from Kansas City to St. Louis.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
Spooky371 said:
I listen Sens - Canes game at TV right now, and the arena are just vacuum, I think is the 1st team to considered for an eventual sale.

Yeah they'll move no doubt. Pro sports in North Carolina aren't supported well. College stuff is more there calling card.

Stinkin' Root Beer said:
San Diego would have been a viable option for the Pens if the new arena had fallen through. Any possibility that anyone could still end up there? Is it fertile ground for an NHL franchise?

Too many teams already in CA.

SedinFan*

Sotnos said:
Actually, it's all about the money. Attendance is secondary.

A fair amount of the revenues comes from attendance. If you continually get 11,000 per game, revenues go down.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
I would love it if either the Canes or Predators moved to Houston because unlike those two cities we are bigger and a better media market for the NHL. We also used to have a WHA team which was one of the more successful when the league was around. Houston will support any team that is winning and Dallas would be a great rivalry. We have a brand new arena so now it wont be a problem like it was in 97 and our prospal got shot down by the NHL. The brand new toyota center is NHL ready because the owner which owns the rockets always wanted to bring an NHL team here too. I'm just praying because I don't get along with Stars fans when I go to their home games I wear a houston Aeros jersey from the 70s and they always swear at me etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad