Not open for further replies.

Vic Rattlehead*

This is great for Americans.

Sadly in Canada, all I have to watch is the damn Sens, Leafs, and Habs. :cry:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tekneek said:
Leafs and Sens is way more interesting than Rangers and Flyers!

You know what Toronto and Ottawa would draw in America on opening night?

Home shopping network would get more ratings.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
SensGuy said:
I can't experience it because I don't get the channel. I guess I'll have to go with this online streaming thing.

Yea, how does it work? And how much does it cost?

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Canadians vs. Bruins
Thrashers vs. Panthers
Penguins vs. Devils
Senators vs. Maple Leafs

...all more exciting than New York vs. Philadelphia.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
go kim johnsson 514 said:
You know what Toronto and Ottawa would draw in America on opening night?

Home shopping network would get more ratings.

Why? Either you are a) masquerading local coverage of 2 teams as a national broadcast, or b) trying to draw Hockey fans to watch the game. The aproach by ESPN (and now seemingly followed by OLN) is a). b) combined with local coverage of games (so that Philly-NYR is shown in Philly and NY, and the BEST games are shown nationaly to attract neutrals) is the way to maximize viewership. More neutral hockey fans would watch Ottawa-Toronto than Philly - NYR. Philly-NYR would get higher ratings, but NYR-Philly showed locally with Ottawa-Toronto nationaly would get higher overall viewership than showing Philly-NYR nationaly.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Tekneek said:
Leafs and Sens is way more interesting than Rangers and Flyers!
Not if youre a Flyer fan, I got the schedule changed once to the Flyers, Im going to have to try again (even though the Leafs-Sens will be great) but I think HNIC takes precident over other games. :cry:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Egil said:
Why? Either you are a) masquerading local coverage of 2 teams as a national broadcast, or b) trying to draw Hockey fans to watch the game. The aproach by ESPN (and now seemingly followed by OLN) is a). b) combined with local coverage of games (so that Philly-NYR is shown in Philly and NY, and the BEST games are shown nationaly to attract neutrals) is the way to maximize viewership. More neutral hockey fans would watch Ottawa-Toronto than Philly - NYR. Philly-NYR would get higher ratings, but NYR-Philly showed locally with Ottawa-Toronto nationaly would get higher overall viewership than showing Philly-NYR nationaly.

I really think Ottawa/Toronto is the best on the schedule, I was talking about games involving American teams. if you think 2 Canadian teams in a neutral hockey market in the midwest or south (where there isn't a lot of hockey), you're wrong. Most of those people probably couldn't tell you where Ottawa is. You want the game that brings in the most fanfare and the Flyers and Rangers do it on opening night. Not many avid American fans (i.e. people who don't come to this board) could careless about Ottawa or Toronto unless they were playing their team, escpially when Americans are never exposed to Ontatio rivalry (in my opinion the best in hockey).

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
OLN is the cable home of the National Hockey League and best-in-class events like The Tour de France, The America’s Cup, Professional Bull Riders (PBR), the Boston Marathon and USSA Skiing. The network offers unique programming in four primary areas: Action Sports, Field Sports, Bulls & Rodeo and Awe-Inspiring Series, and is the exclusive home of Survivor in syndication[/QUOTE

I want OLN to go now with a slogan " WE ARE THE ONLY REAL SPORTS NETWORK IN AMERICA" and drop the bull and horse sh it riding with rodeo and other crap. And include the most awsome sport as hockey(now college hockey), some basketball, track and field, swimming, volleyball, skiing, wrestling, european football(english, italian and spanish leagues) and other goodies. Which are real outdoor sports. Put to grave ESPN and other golf, american rules rugby and baseball not so super stations..

ResidentAlien*

For the first time in a long time I'm glad I moved down here! I think this sounds awesome, the Library footage in VOD?? Very cool.
If they do what they say I think this will be very very good for the game down here.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
go kim johnsson 514 said:
I really think Ottawa/Toronto is the best on the schedule, I was talking about games involving American teams. if you think 2 Canadian teams in a neutral hockey market in the midwest or south (where there isn't a lot of hockey), you're wrong. Most of those people probably couldn't tell you where Ottawa is. You want the game that brings in the most fanfare and the Flyers and Rangers do it on opening night. Not many avid American fans (i.e. people who don't come to this board) could careless about Ottawa or Toronto unless they were playing their team, escpially when Americans are never exposed to Ontatio rivalry (in my opinion the best in hockey).

The only fans who would watch a Philly-NYR game ahead of a Ottawa-Toronto game are fans of the NYR and Philidelphia Flyers. Any fan that follows the NHL knows Ottawa-Toronto is a good matchup, unlike NYR-Flyers (which is ok at best due to the suckiness of the NYR). Any fan that doesn't follow the NHL isn't going to watch anyways, so ignore them. The best way to get them to watch is to get the Hockey fans to get their buddies to watch, not by hoping that some guy who never watched it before is going to watch a game. The best way to gets fans who follow the NHL to get their buddies to watch is to show the most heated games from the most intense rivalries. Ottawa-Toronto is a must. NJ-Philly is a must. NYR-NYI is a must. Calgary-Edmonton is a must. Vancouver - Colorado is a must.

Now, if the goal of the TV contract is to maximize short term ratings at the expense of long term fan growth, then by all means, show the Flyers and the NYR. All the Flyer and NYR fans across the US will watch, and nobody else will. Show Ottawa-Toronto, and fans of other teams may watch due to the heated nature of the rivalry. We show games involving 2 US teams in Canada, and they get good ratings (Detroit-Colorado would be HYPED if shown on TSN for example). Give hockey fans the best games, not what games leech the most viewers from a local broadcast, which is the current strategy.
In essence, which of the following 2 combinations would produce the best OVERALL ratings for the NHL:

NYR-Philly shown nationaly.
NYR-Philly shown locally, Ottawa-Toronto shown nationaly.

Judge Smails

How 'bout a Fresca?
Jan 20, 2004
Bushwood CC
SENATOR said:
OLN is the cable home of the National Hockey League and best-in-class events like The Tour de France, The America’s Cup, Professional Bull Riders (PBR), the Boston Marathon and USSA Skiing. The network offers unique programming in four primary areas: Action Sports, Field Sports, Bulls & Rodeo and Awe-Inspiring Series, and is the exclusive home of Survivor in syndication[/QUOTE

I want OLN to go now with a slogan " WE ARE THE ONLY REAL SPORTS NETWORK IN AMERICA" and drop the bull and horse sh it riding with rodeo and other crap. And include the most awsome sport as hockey(now college hockey), some basketball, track and field, swimming, volleyball, skiing, wrestling, european football(english, italian and spanish leagues) and other goodies. Which are real outdoor sports. Put to grave ESPN and other golf, american rules rugby and baseball not so super stations..

Yeah, I can't understand why ESPN hasn't dropped baseball, golf, and "american rules rugby" for skiing, wrestling, and "european football." That would make them a ratings powerhouse! :shakehead

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
TSN's US team vs US team regular season games generally have measurably lower ratings that any game involving a Canadian team on TSN.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
SENATOR said:

For Comcast to become a rival to ESPN they need atleast one of US Football or Baseball.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
I love how some of the fans here find something negative in everything and then whine incessently about it for hours.

Super!

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
Garbs said:
Thrashers vs. Panthers
Penguins vs. Devils

Hmm. No. Neither of those are better national choices than Flyers-Rangers.

If it were Crosby's first game at HOME, then you'd have a case. But I'm sure the dozens of fans at the CAA will understand.

Oh yeah, I just mocked Devils fans. Bring it on!! :D

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Judge Smails said:
Yeah, I can't understand why ESPN hasn't dropped baseball, golf, and "american rules rugby" for skiing, wrestling, and "european football." That would make them a ratings powerhouse! :shakehead

Well. It is time for americans to get educated about sports. Track and field has 4 thousand years old proud history, and not to love this sport, which the corner stone of Olympics is to be a redneck moron. Swimming goes to the same category, so is skiing. Track and field sometimes called "the queen or mother of all sports" how many track and field events ESPN broadcasts. Probably zero. This is not a sports network, but some x game, WWE outlet. The same goes to TSN. Outside hockey, there is nothing on that channel worth seeing. What a waste?

Judge Smails

How 'bout a Fresca?
Jan 20, 2004
Bushwood CC
SENATOR said:
Well. It is time for americans to get educated about sports. Track and field has 4 thousand years old proud history, and not to love this sport, which the corner stone of Olympics is to be a redneck moron. Swimming goes to the same category, so is skiing. Track and field sometimes called "the queen or mother of all sports" how many track and field events ESPN broadcasts. Probably zero. This is not a sports network, but some x game, WWE outlet. The same goes to TSN. Outside hockey, there is nothing on that channel worth seeing. What a waste?

The point I'm making is that these networks are primarily in business to make money. By not showing fans what they want to see, but rather what some perceive as "superior" sporting events, is sure fire way to doom your network.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
SENATOR said:
Well. It is time for americans to get educated about sports. Track and field has 4 thousand years old proud history, and not to love this sport, which the corner stone of Olympics is to be a redneck moron.

Well, that's a trifle elitest.

Speaking in absolutes isn't always a good thing. There's a reason traffic lights have an amber light...

Americans do love track and field during the olympics, with they deem to mean something. They make heros out of their track stars like Joyner...

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Trizent said:
TSN's US team vs US team regular season games generally have measurably lower ratings that any game involving a Canadian team on TSN.

TSN's US team vs US team do indeed have lower ratings than games involving a Canadian team. But that isn't my point.

If Ottawa is playing Florida, and Philly was playing NJ on the same night, Ottawa-Florida would get higher ratings on TSN than Philly-NJ. But, if TSN showed Philly-NJ, and Sportsnet showed Ottawa-Florida in the Ottawa region, THAT would get higher combined ratings. The goal of the NHL should be to maximize OVERALL ratings (because at the end of the day that is ALL revenue to the NHL).

The national TV deal (even at $65 million) is PEANUTS compared to the local deals. If the national TV deal is just a national presentation of local games, you are taking money away from the local team and giving it to the national TV deal. If the idea is to maximize the NATIONAL TV deal, then follow the current path. If the idea is to maximize overall TV revenue (and, by extension, viewership), then don't.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
Steve L said:
Youre wrong there, you could make a case for the 1st and last games but not the other 2 for sure.
Pardon!

Sidney Crosby making his NHL debut against Martin Brodeur and the Devils. Mario and Mogilny will also be there. That's really a worse matchup than the Flyers taking on a team that hasn't made the playoffs since spring 1997 and is weaker going into the season than they have been in a period longer than that.

PitkanenPower said:
If it were Crosby's first game at HOME, then you'd have a case.
No, it's only his NHL debut. That's not an important game.

PitkanenPower said:
But I'm sure the dozens of fans at the CAA will understand.

Oh yeah, I just mocked Devils fans. Bring it on!!
The Devils always sellout opening night. Thought it is usually the occassion of a banner raising. You wouldn't know anything about that in Philadelphia unless your an oldtimer listening to Led Zepplin remember the glorious times over 30 years ago!

Also, I hope Joannie keeps his head up this. I wouldn't want his career to go the way of Lindros in the 2000 ECF.

skk_82 said:
that said, what's getting televised nationally on opening night?

rangers v. philly

:shakehead
I currently do not have OLN in my cable lineup. I hope they don't add it until October 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->