NHL Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
1. NHL doesn't have money

2. No one would want to play in a minor league for a distant possibility of being able to go to NHL for free.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Maybe not in the near future, perhaps not for 20+ years - but I see some form of this idea as inevitable. With increasing globalization and the increasing relationship between sport and business - you can bet the people running the NHL will look to expand it's business ventures at some point in the future. Whether it is a development league or a full fledged NHL division/conference in Europe - it will happen eventually.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Le Golie said:
Whether it is a development league or a full fledged NHL division/conference in Europe - it will happen eventually.

This makes me wish the lockout had killed off the NHL for good.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
Le Golie said:
Maybe not in the near future, perhaps not for 20+ years - but I see some form of this idea as inevitable. With increasing globalization and the increasing relationship between sport and business - you can bet the people running the NHL will look to expand it's business ventures at some point in the future. Whether it is a development league or a full fledged NHL division/conference in Europe - it will happen eventually.

Who would a development league develop? NA-style players with European citizenships? The beauty of the current system is the difference in schools and methodologies.

A European NHL conference doesn't seems too realistic neither. One of many reasons -- too far and expensive to travel to NA.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Vladiator said:
Who would a development league develop? NA-style players with European citizenships? The beauty of the current system is the difference in schools and methodologies.

A European NHL conference doesn't seems too realistic neither. One of many reasons -- too far and expensive to travel to NA.

If a team came over to NA once per season and played, say 15 games in a month and then flew home to play inter division/conference games for the rest of the season, their travel costs would probably be less than the Los Angeles Kings under the old schedule format.

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
Vladiator said:

It would be all European people, it would just be an NHL run league. It would have teams with NHL affiliates, I would see it as replacing the ECHL, with the NHL properties from there playing in Europe along side any Euro not in his respective super-league. I think it would help a lot for non-traditional country prospects, or guys stuck with little ice-time.

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
Plager05 said:
It would be all European people, it would just be an NHL run league. It would have teams with NHL affiliates, I would see it as replacing the ECHL, with the NHL properties from there playing in Europe along side any Euro not in his respective super-league. I think it would help a lot for non-traditional country prospects, or guys stuck with little ice-time.

Yes, maybe it would help some player to get some ice time. But I really really don't think it's worth the money. Hockey is no business in Europe, and that league would cost a lot to run. There would be no real benefits for any NHL owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->