NHL draft may STILL be held on TV . . . at the Corel Centre in Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ottawa Mayor Bob Chiarelli has written a letter to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman indicating the city is ready to hold the entry draft on short notice this year. While sources say the NHL would rather hold the draft by telephone once a collective bargaining agreement is finally in place, Bettman has indicated there's still interest in holding some version of the event at the Corel Centre. According to Sidney Crosby's agent Pat Brisson, that could involve bringing the top prospects here for a first round that would be shown on TV in Canada and the U.S.
-- Ottawa Sun

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/06/23/truth.rumors/

Roots73

TMLTP- ITS IN THE GAME!
May 10, 2004
There shouldn't be a problem. There are 3 large hotels within the Kanata area just begging for business, not to mention all the rest in downtown Ottawa that should have some rooms available.

Why Ottawa would pass up an opportunity to host the draft would be utter stupidity. If Crosby is there, they must put on a show and at least attempt to put the NHL back in the public eye for a few moments.

Get'er done!!

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Here is what I don't understand...

How can they know which prospects to bring in?

Sometimes a first rounder can drop and drop...

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The only round broadcast is the first one anyway.

It will end up on the tube somehow. The league desperately needs the exposure.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
slats432 said:
Here is what I don't understand...

How can they know which prospects to bring in?

Sometimes a first rounder can drop and drop...

Everyone has a list t bettman of the players they want.. and based on that.. they bring in the 30 that are going to be selected...

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
joepeps said:
Everyone has a list t bettman of the players they want.. and based on that.. they bring in the 30 that are going to be selected...

I don't think teams would go for that. They might have a "secret sleeper" who they want to pick but don't want others to know about. If those guys show up at the draft and some other GM eyeing them notices, they could jump the gun. So you may as well just invite them based on some draft power ranking from a publication like THN since no teams are going to name names except for the obvious guys.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
joepeps said:
That wouldn't work

Those 30 list could have 60 or more players that are different on them .. Who would you bring in ..

What if a team had a sleeper player in the group and he was brought in .. Wouldn't you be disclosing your hand ?

You would for the most part have to do it on CSB or independant list IMO ..

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Just bring in the top 8 or 10 guys listed by CSS. A small select number, so that (hopefully) they all go in the first round.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
sveiglar said:
Just bring in the top 8 or 10 guys listed by CSS. A small select number, so that (hopefully) they all go in the first round.
Exactly. Do it similar to how ESPN does the NFL draft. Get the top 8-10 prospects there, and the next 5 to 10 live via camera at their homes and show them when they are drafted. It can't be that damned hard to do.

coppernblue

Apr 5, 2005
sveiglar said:

exactly throw em in the green room ala NFL style
and if they slip down the draft and cry big deal ur still gonna get near a million bucks a year

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
coppernblue said:
exactly throw em in the green room ala NFL style
and if they slip down the draft and cry big deal ur still gonna get near a million bucks a year

Your avatar is inappropriate..BUT since your putting out the fire.. it's a good thing I suppose... :dunno:

coppernblue

Apr 5, 2005
joepeps said:
Your avatar is inappropriate..BUT since your putting out the fire.. it's a good thing I suppose... :dunno:

inappropriate?
man have i had enough of flames fans and there cup run
all i got to say is 5 cups in 7 years...

Tra La La

Feb 13, 2003
Buffalo, New York
A Big wheel of Fortune with Each Teams Logo on it. Spin the Wheel Make a Pick. With Each teams pick there Logo comes off. Till the First Round is Done .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->