Player Discussion NHL Draft 2013 vs 2014

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
There was so much talk that the 2013 draft was the strongest one in about a decade, then the following draft year in 2014 was considered to be one of shallowest in some time. While that may still be true in regards to depth in later rounds (this we won't fully know for a while yet) the top ends in both drafts look to be pretty comparable at this point in time.

Looking at mostly 1st round picks, which draft do you think will end up as producing better players? Here are some of the key players drafted:

2013:

MacKinnon
Barkov
Drouin
Jones
Lindholm
Monahan
Nurse
Ristolainen
Horvat
Nichushkin
Domi
Wennberg
Rychel
Mantha
Poirier
Burakovsky
Shinkaruk
Theodore
Klimchuk

2014:

Ekblad
Reinhart
Draisaitl
Bennett
Dal Colle
Virtanen
Fleury
Nylander
Ehlers
Ritchie
Fiala
Perlini
Honka
Larkin
Milano
Sanhiem
Tuch
Fabbri
Kapanen
Bleackley
Pastrnak
Scherbak
Ho-Sang

I did not include every player, if I left someone significant off, I can add. Which draft class do you think will produce more impactful players?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
First round? 2014.

Overall 2013.

This upcoming draft is a lot like 2014. The top end of the draft is really good. But the late first and second round are pretty unspectacular from what I've seen. Not like last year where there was 45-50 first round calibre guys.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
2014 was suppose to be incredibly weak, but I think both classes are actually really good. Can't complain having two picks in the top 10 in both :laugh:

moon*

The top 4/5 look fairly comparable but looking at the 6-10 picks 2013 blows 2014 out of the water. Looking outside the top 10 I think they are fairly comparable.

Obviously it is way too early to make any definitive statements.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The high-end talent in 2014 - Bennett, Larkin, Ekblad, Draisaitl, and Ehlers along with Nylander, Reinhart, and Pastrnak, is making it hard to pick 2013.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The high-end talent in 2014 - Bennett, Larkin, Ekblad, Draisaitl, and Ehlers along with Nylander, Reinhart, and Pastrnak, is making it hard to pick 2013.

This is kind of how I'm feeling.

If Barkov, Drouin, Jones and Mack really break out, it could change things. But Bennett, Ekblad, Leon, Larkin and Pastrnak all look incredibly good. Should mention Domi looks like a huge stud too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->