NHL considering cancelling 2005 draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
HockeyCritter said:
Make the draft age 19 (now and forever) ...... problem solved.
I agree, no reason not to do it. Didn't the NBA just do it, and they are the league that has the most 18 year olds.

As far as the NHL, who cares if they have to wait until 19? Maybe 1 or 2 players out of hundreds drafted each year actually go right to the NHL, so what's wrong with waiting until they are 19.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
sirkraut_82 said:
doubtless. but a fresh young player coming out of juniors with a statline to (almost) rival to lemieux and gretzky would be a great way to front a new campaign to bring people back. changes in the rules are fundamental and the most important part of the sport, but crosby's presence and marketability would be exciting and something to base a revival PR campaign.
Did it happen with Kolvachuk? Did it happen with Nash? Bouwmeester? LeCavalier?

With the exception of the team that “wins†the Crosby lottery and the buzz that he may or may not create, most fans are going to be more concerned with the on ice product. One kid isn’t going to make people excited about or interested in watching the game if it is slow, bogged down, and dull.

People need to focus on what's truly important ---- and Crosby ain't it.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
So ****ing silly. Just weigh it over the past three/four/five seasons or whatever. Do we need to watch a handful of teams purposefully tank to get more lottery balls? The lockout has at least offered us the opportunity to not watch teams deliberately suck to get him. Take advantage of it!

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
sirkraut_82 said:
but he can, especially in a major market like new york or LA. the NHL needs to market something, and such a player is almost perfect.

Then market Kovalchuk, because he's going to be a better player anyway, is already in the league, and already has somewhat of a fanbase in the USA (led the all-star game in votes).

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Balej's Dance said:
True but then there are gonna be those that intentionally tank the season to get a shot at him.

The team ending up last has lost the lottery 6 of the last 7 times. There is already a check on teams taking a dive on the season, that reality. Let some of these big market team fans suffer through a losing season, then I will be all for you having a top pick. This scenerio, delaying the draft, does not bother me in the least. Kinda tells you something about how fans really think their teams will do next year to see who is complaining about the idea of this move, doesn't it?

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
nyr7andcounting said:
I agree, no reason not to do it. Didn't the NBA just do it, and they are the league that has the most 18 year olds.
They only have 12 players per team. And maybe 7/8 get regular game time.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
Epsilon said:
Then market Kovalchuk, because he's going to be a better player anyway, is already in the league, and already has somewhat of a fanbase in the USA (led the all-star game in votes).

it's hard enough to market a hockey player, but russian ones are even tougher.

if you can't see why crosby is more appealing (marketing wise) than kovalchuk then there's no point.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
HockeyCritter said:
Make the draft age 19 (now and forever) ...... problem solved.

I Agree. The 18 Y.O. Draft is too soon for most prospects. Nash, Crosby and Ovechkin are the exception, however, the 19 y.o draft would help teams get younger and rebuild faster by one year. Furthermore a 19 y o draft would be easier to scout as that extra year of maturity will bring out some of the late bloomers.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
oildrop said:
Crosby can't join the AHL. Isn't there an agreement for players that play in the WHL, OHL, QMJHL, etc...that state that their players can't join the AHL until they are too old to play in the Junior Leagues?

There was such an agreement, but it expired last year and wasnt renewed because the NHL had greater problems. The deal between the NHL, AHL and CHL will undoubtably be reinstated quickly after the CBA is signed.

I'd say the chances are ridiculously slim that Crosby plays in the AHL next year. Sorry Toronto.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
An interesting idea from The Hockey News (print edition) from a few months ago.... Have the 4 teams with the worst records play a round-robin tourney at the same time as the first round of the playoffs. Winner gets the first pick. I imagine this would necessitate ditching the lottery.

I actually thought this was really cool - then you'd actually have to win something to get rewarded with #1, rather than losing something. It would also totally change the dynamic of dumping players at the trade deadline - you might actually see lame duck teams acquiring hired guns, to try and get the #1 pick in the tourney.

Thoughts?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
sirkraut_82 said:
it's hard enough to market a hockey player, but russian ones are even tougher.

if you can't see why crosby is more appealing (marketing wise) than kovalchuk then there's no point.

A lot of Europeans and Asians have been marketed more successfully in other sports than Canadians have. Dirk Nowitski, Yao Ming, Ichiro Suzuki, etc.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jaded-Fan said:
The team ending up last has lost the lottery 6 of the last 7 times. There is already a check on teams taking a dive on the season, that reality. ?
Some have to settle for Malkin when they didn't get Ovechkin for all their efforts .

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Messenger said:
Some have to settle for Malkin when they didn't get Ovechkin for all their efforts .

And some lost out on both for missing last by something like a game . . . meet Chicago Mr. Messanger. Oh, and the Pens had something like a top 3 or 4 record among all teams in the league for the last quarter of the season, almost missing out on being last by doing so. Explain how the Pen's tanked with that record at the end?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Resolute said:
There was such an agreement, but it expired last year and wasnt renewed because the NHL had greater problems. The deal between the NHL, AHL and CHL will undoubtably be reinstated quickly after the CBA is signed.

I'd say the chances are ridiculously slim that Crosby plays in the AHL next year. Sorry Toronto.
Fergy's request to have authorization to sign Crosby to play in the AHL gets commish's sign of approval and his Reebok deal could keep him in North America ..

Don't expect the wunderkind skipping to Russia. Sid's got a $2.5 million Reebok deal that isn't written in Russkie.

Meanwhile, AHL boss Dave Andrews says he has no problem with Leafs signing Crosby for their Marlies farm.

"Any player who has reached the age of 18 by Sept. 15 is eligible to play in our league if appropriately under contract," Andrews explains.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3635544

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jaded-Fan said:
And some lost out on both for missing last by something like a game . . . meet Chicago Mr. Messanger. Oh, and the Pens had something like a top 3 or 4 record among all teams in the league for the last quarter of the season, almost missing out on being last by doing so. Explain how the Pen's tanked with that record at the end?
You can only have one biggest loser in the end .. as long as you are in the bottom five you have a shot at #1 ..

No one said they tanked .. That was you .. You are preaching Doom and Gloom again this year for your Pens ..

I am suggesting after being at the bottom and picking in the TOP 5 the last 3 years .. Its probably a good idea to spend a little money, there are 300 UFA on the market after all and make a real effort to break out of that bottom dwellers group for the sake of the fans in Pittsburgh..

Put a little effort into the on ice product and not sit around holding out your hand and saying give us Crosby.

The new CBA for the sake of the Fans in these markets deserve better .After all the CBA has been built around them so they should start receiving fines and loss of draft picks if you have already had 3 straight bottom 5 finishes in the league and are sitting around waiting for more..

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
HockeyCritter said:
The league is a hell of a lot more than Crosby . . . . relaunch with rules designed to increase flow and speed . . . . . that more than anything else will ensure the survival of the sport/league.

hell, relaunch and just call the old rules the way they're intended to be called and it would help restore flow and speed. Anyway, back on topic...

The Crosby Factor has to be the most overrated component of this CBA/Offseason. It's one kid playing a sport no one south of Ontario cares about. He could come in and rack up 200 points and it wouldn't change a thing because

a. a whole two games will be broadcast on tv in the states
b. the US does not care. People simply don't get the fact that the NHL is the same to Americans as arena or canadian football.

So many people just want a cheap, easy fix in regards to the NHL's popularity instead of what it will more likely take to make up the popularity ground the NHL has lost over the past decade: a sustained high level product.

Oh, and cancelling the draft would be the best thing to do and the fair thing to do. but in another post someone asked if the league owed big market teams anything. Well, a chance to draft in the top ten in the first round is probably what they're getting.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Messenger said:
You can only have one biggest loser in the end .. as long as you are in the bottom five you have a shot at #1 ..

No one said they tanked .. That was you .. You are preaching Doom and Gloom again this year for your Pens ..

I am suggesting after being at the bottom and picking in the TOP 5 the last 3 years .. Its probably a good idea to spend a little money, there are 300 UFA on the market after all and make a real effort to break out of that bottom dwellers group for the sake of the fans in Pittsburgh..

Put a little effort into the on ice product and not sit around holding out your hand and saying give us Crosby.

The new CBA for the sake of the Fans in these markets deserve better .After all the CBA has been built around them so they should start receiving fines and loss of draft picks if you have already had 3 straight bottom 5 finishes in the league and are sitting around waiting for more..

Actually I think that my Pens will be better, will spend money. Under this scenerio they would likely have little if any chance at Crosby. So be it. What I have said is that they will not be competing for the Cup any time soon, I see them as a borderline playoff team at best though. What I do not like is some teams getting a shot at a top pick without going through the pain of watching a single losing season. If the draft is delayed, great, some teams and their fans will have earned their shot then and paid for it by having some suck-ass teams. My Pens could possibly be one of those teams, it is more likely with so much youth and so many holes to fill than them competing seriously for the cup. But more likely they will be somewhere in the middle, just missing the playoffs.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Winger98 said:
hell, relaunch and just call the old rules the way they're intended to be called and it would help restore flow and speed. Anyway, back on topic

<<< snipped >>>
I'd also move the goal lines back to ten-feet from the end boards, reinstated tag-uo offsides, and make the netural zone larger.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jaded-Fan said:
Actually I think that my Pens will be better, will spend money. Under this scenerio they would likely have little if any chance at Crosby. So be it. What I have said is that they will not be competing for the Cup any time soon, I see them as a borderline playoff team at best though. What I do not like is some teams getting a shot at a top pick without going through the pain of watching a single losing season. If the draft is delayed, great, some teams and their fans will have earned their shot then and paid for it by having some suck-ass teams. My Pens could possibly be one of those teams, it is more likely with so much youth and so many holes to fill than them competing seriously for the cup. But more likely they will be somewhere in the middle, just missing the playoffs.
That is great news and the way it should be ..

The have tons of cap room and lots of UFA to pick through .. No excuse under the new CBA to sit around and wait any longer .. No time like the present to put Bettmans parity CBA into effect ..

If teams at the Top of the league are to be fined in the form of money and draft picks for attempts to circumvent the Cap and win the CUP at all cost.. Then teams at the bottom should also be treated that way for their lack of effort in a attempt to improve the on ice product,and hang around waiting for cheap you stars as a reward for that failure ..

I guarantee you though that with Crosby the prize you will see team if the draft is cancelled make an effort to field a team that gives them a shot at Crosby when they know they have not shot at the cup.

Lets hope you Pens are not one of them .. Your outspoken player/owner Lemieux said the players should have taken that $42.5 FINAL OFFER .. Lets see if he puts his money where he mouth is and spends money under the new CBA then to show us all what he was talking about .. If he fields one of the smallest NHL payrolls next year we will all know what he was trying to feed us all then ..

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Jaded-Fan said:
Kinda tells you something about how fans really think their teams will do next year to see who is complaining about the idea of this move, doesn't it?

You make it seem like you know the standings for 2005-2006, right now. If you're trying to figure something out about me, keep guessing. I have no idea how my Rangers will do this upcoming year. They could float with Jagr, Nylander, Weekes or they can sink with the new fresh rookie faces. And neither do you.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Messenger said:
That is great news and the way it should be ..

The have tons of cap room and lots of UFA to pick through .. No excuse under the new CBA to sit around and wait any longer .. No time like the present to put Bettmans parity CBA into effect ..

If teams at the Top of the league are to be fined in the form of money and draft picks for attempts to circumvent the Cap and win the CUP at all cost.. Then teams at the bottom should also be treated that way for their lack of effort in a attempt to improve the on ice product,and hang around waiting for cheap you stars as a reward for that failure ..

I guarantee you though that with Crosby the prize you will see team if the draft is cancelled make an effort to field a team that gives them a shot at Crosby when they know they have not shot at the cup.

Lets hope you Pens are not one of them .. Your outspoken player/owner Lemieux said the players should have taken that $42.5 FINAL OFFER .. Lets see if he puts his money where he mouth is and spends money under the new CBA then to show us all what he was talking about .. If he fields one of the smallest NHL payrolls next year we will all know what he was trying to feed us all then ..

Mario has said that they will make several major FA signings, saying specifically that they would 'add several upper-tier free agents' . . . and the predictions are for the Pens to be in the middle of spending, around $30 million, payroll, with the new owner spending money.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=128715&hubName=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->