News Article: NHL.com has Andreas Johnsson going 29th overall in a 2013 re-draft

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Great pick. Somewhat off-sets what we actually drafted at 21. For how great this draft was labelled (people through around best since 2003 at the time, although it was surpassed by 2015), it was pretty average.

Reactions: Trunz05

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Great pick. Somewhat off-sets what we actually drafted at 21. For how great this draft was labelled (people through around best since 2003 at the time, although it was surpassed by 2015), it was pretty average.
I was having this exact conversation with my friend. It's interesting too because 2014 was labelled as a 'weak' draft, but taking a look at the first round I easily take 2014 overall over 2013. Outside of MacK, Jones and Barkov there isn't really that much to write home about.

2014 NHL Entry Draft | Hockey-Reference.com
2013 NHL Entry Draft | Hockey-Reference.com

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I was having this exact conversation with my friend. It's interesting too because 2014 was labelled as a 'weak' draft, but taking a look at the first round I easily take 2014 overall over 2013. Outside of MacK, Jones and Barkov there isn't really that much to write home about.

2014 NHL Entry Draft | Hockey-Reference.com
2013 NHL Entry Draft | Hockey-Reference.com
Monahan is on-par with the best from 2014.

But, in general, a draft is defined by its top end talent, especially entering the draft.

Mack, Jones, and Barkov are so strong, it makes it easy to overlook a lot of things. Those are all 3 franchise cornerstone pieces you can build around as your best player. 2015 looks like the truly special class. 2016 will be interesting.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I wonder if Pierre Engvall manages a similar climb by this time next year. After all, if he can manage 16pts in 28 games with the Marlies this year playing in the bottom 6 most of the time, imagine what he could do in the top 6 next year.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Might as well imagine we picked Johnsson with our first rounder and Gauthier with our 7th one and the draft makes much more sense.
Unless you are picking top 5 (even 10), if you can score a Johnsson/Dermott every year I'll take it.
We do need some more quality depth between the Kadri level and Johnsson level moving forward though. Especially at C.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
NHL.com did a re-draft of the 2013 1st round and they have Andreas Johnsson moving up all the way into the 1st round at 29th overall. Not bad considering he was originally selected 202nd overall in the 7th round.

2013 Redraft: MacKinnon remains No. 1 pick of Avalanche

People say to win championships you have to get lucky in either the draft or lucky with other peoples assets (UFA/trade). Looks like we got lucky with AJ.

Didn't Detroit draft a few guys in the 200's that turned out to be steals?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
People say to win championships you have to get lucky in either the draft or lucky with other peoples assets (UFA/trade). Looks like we got lucky with AJ.

Depth is key. And it takes multiple picks, time and luck to do it.
Pittsburgh didn't win the Cup for 7 years and there were many questions.
Enter a ton of Pittsburgh depth in Sheary,Rust,Kuhnackle,Murray,Guentzel,etc.
The overall organizational depth of teams like Chicago and LA is decreasing. They've used and traded more picks than they have developed. Now of course it was in the name of the Cup wins so you'll take it but asset management always catches up with you.

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
We went to the leafs training camp in Halifax in 2015. I brought a picture to get signed of Johnsson from Frolunda, there was honestly no pictures of him in a leafs jersey, and when I asked him to sign it he looked at Dermott and was like, that's a picture... of me???? Kid had no idea how good he was going to be haha

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Some posters liked Burakovsky at 21. That would have been the best reasonable pick. Every year there are a couple of players drafted late who turn out to be stars. Getting them is mostly luck. For example, the Leafs got Kaberle in the ninth round, which no longer exists. That isn’t drafting brilliance. It’s sheer luck. But Burakovsky was rated in the Leafs’ vicinity at 21 and would have been a reasonable choice, even aside from hindsight

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Some posters liked Burakovsky at 21. That would have been the best reasonable pick. Every year there are a couple of players drafted late who turn out to be stars. Getting them is mostly luck. For example, the Leafs got Kaberle in the ninth round, which no longer exists. That isn’t drafting brilliance. It’s sheer luck. But Burakovsky was rated in the Leafs’ vicinity at 21 and would have been a reasonable choice, even aside from hindsight

Some amateur Draft Junkies with a keen eye for judging talent liked

11. Shea Theodore, D, Anaheim Ducks (26)
Theodore, 22, was traded to the Vegas Golden Knights on June 21 and got his most significant NHL time after splitting the previous two between the Ducks and the American Hockey League. He was third among Vegas defensemen with 29 points (six goals, 23 assists), and was second on the Golden Knights with an average ice time of 20:21 in 61 games. In the playoffs, he averaged 21:48 in 20 games to help them reach the Stanley Cup Final.

With the Leafs pick. :wg:

Johnsson at this point looks like a much better pick than Freddy the Goat however...

Reactions: hullsy47

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Yup, Datsyuk and Zetterberg were 6th and 7th rounders. Even Lidstrom was a 3rd rounder.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
To be successful in the NHL you have to have your amateur scouts unearth NHL talent with later round picks not just high picks.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No Zadorov? Seems wrong

Missing first-round picks: Samuel Morin, No. 11, Philadelphia Flyers; Nikita Zadorov, No. 16, Buffalo Sabres; Curtis Lazar, No. 17, Ottawa Senators; Mirco Mueller, No. 18, San Jose Sharks; Kerby Rychel, No. 19, Columbus Blue Jackets; Frederik Gauthier, No. 21, Toronto Maple Leafs; Emile Poirier, No. 22, Calgary Flames; Hunter Shinkaruk, No. 24, Vancouver Canucks; Michael McCarron, No. 25, Montreal Canadiens; Marko Dano, No. 27, Columbus Blue Jackets; Morgan Klimchuk, No. 28, Calgary Flames; Jason Dickinson, No. 29, Dallas Stars.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Missing first-round picks: Samuel Morin, No. 11, Philadelphia Flyers; Nikita Zadorov, No. 16, Buffalo Sabres; Curtis Lazar, No. 17, Ottawa Senators; Mirco Mueller, No. 18, San Jose Sharks; Kerby Rychel, No. 19, Columbus Blue Jackets; Frederik Gauthier, No. 21, Toronto Maple Leafs; Emile Poirier, No. 22, Calgary Flames; Hunter Shinkaruk, No. 24, Vancouver Canucks; Michael McCarron, No. 25, Montreal Canadiens; Marko Dano, No. 27, Columbus Blue Jackets; Morgan Klimchuk, No. 28, Calgary Flames; Jason Dickinson, No. 29, Dallas Stars.

Ya, I mean in the top 30. Come on, the guy played top pairing for a playoff team this year...

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
brian burke throw away pick, here bergman have the last pick burke wouldn't take a euro player in the 2nd half of the 1st round. They'd have to be elite sedin tpyes before he'd consider them
Burke was fired before the season.

Always liked Hartman, nice to see him climb here. I bet this list would have looked much different a season ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad