NHL can expect fight on rule change proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
In a separate memo to the GMs, Campbell said that the rule changes were considered after, "we analyzed player, coaches and fan polls."
Has anyone hear every been interviewed for a poll by the NHL regarding rules? I've participated in a few polls, and none of them had anything to do with the rules save one question about fighting.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Weary said:
Has anyone hear every been interviewed for a poll by the NHL regarding rules? I've participated in a few polls, and none of them had anything to do with the rules save one question about fighting.
I have, several times over the past year or so. There were lots of questions about rules and how I thought the game could be improved.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
i hope they give a point for an ot/or shootout loss...its BS to get nothing because u lost in a breakaway competition that shouldn't be there in the first place...but all i have to say is...CBA *****!!!!!!!

MacDaddy TLC*

There was an article a little back that GMS had their panties in a bunch because before the rules committee was 30 GMs. They have been reduced to 2-4 positions with involvement from players and other people involved in the game.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
Taking out the redline will slow the game down further. The trap zone will become wider, hence even more defensive hockey.

Tra La La

Feb 13, 2003
Buffalo, New York
Well I want The trap KILLED! :madfire: ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. Fix The Game or Don't Come Back. I don"t want to see that same Crap, I've seen for the Last 5 years. IT BORES ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
EventHorizon said:
And the removal of the redline and the shootout won't do it.

Removal of the redline would. I have watched enough college hockey games to know the impact that can have.

The shootout might not, but I think it was a bad idea to ever give teams a point for losing in OT. That was a bad result of switching to 4-on-4, which is just as much a sham as a shootout would ever be. If you're going to have 4-on-4 novelty overtimes, you might as well have a shootout if no one scores in it. If you want integrity in the game, you should scrap that 4-on-4 disgrace too.

Tra La La

Feb 13, 2003
Buffalo, New York
Jacobv2 said:
What do you mean "back"? None of these rules were ever in place in the NHL in my lifetime.

Skating and Transition play is Gone. And It has to be Gotten Back. I want To see what I saw in 70's,80's and first few years of the 90's. If The NHL is'nt going to offer that. Then damn them to hell.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Tekneek said:
Removal of the redline would. I have watched enough college hockey games to know the impact that can have.

The shootout might not, but I think it was a bad idea to ever give teams a point for losing in OT. That was a bad result of switching to 4-on-4, which is just as much a sham as a shootout would ever be. If you're going to have 4-on-4 novelty overtimes, you might as well have a shootout if no one scores in it. If you want integrity in the game, you should scrap that 4-on-4 disgrace too.

Oh, it works in college hockey, so it will work in a professional league?

I hate to keep bringing this up, but anytime this kind of logic shows up, I have to:

"If you're one of those fans who'd like to see the NHL remove the red line, you might want to think twice. The Finnish Elite League, which has played without the red line for several seasons, plans to restore the center stripe next season. The league feels the game has become a series of misguided long passes, which, combined with the automatic icing rule, lead to an inordinate number of stoppages for icing. Finnish officials would like to restore the red line in all levels of hockey throughout the country."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=hradek_ej&id=1700394

IIRC, the Czech league would like to, as well.

It's not as simple as "it works in the league I like, it will work in the NHL." That's Buccigross thinking.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
the easy fix for this is to not allow the offending team to make player changes after an icing. Lets see a tired line face the other teams' top line. That is punishment enough to avoid the long break-away pass very often.

bhawk24bob

Jan 25, 2005
AH said:
Taking out the redline will slow the game down further. The trap zone will become wider, hence even more defensive hockey.

why do people keep ignoring this?

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
AH said:

People keep saying this but I haven't seen this affect in NCAA hockey or Olympic hockey.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
HockeyCritter said:
I have, several times over the past year or so. There were lots of questions about rules and how I thought the game could be improved.
Yeah, but you're an insider with inside access to the Caps' GM. I'm more interested in the experiences of average fans.

Tra La La

Feb 13, 2003
Buffalo, New York
Marshall said:
Neither applies. Olympic hockey, you have the best of the best.

College hockey isn't coached or talented to the level of the NHL.

Apples and oranges.

The Wider The area the trap is spread over, the Bigger the Gaps.

The NHL really has no choice. All the Fans who walked away from the game, do to Boredom. Won't Come back twice, if they see the Same old same old. They Have to come Back and See end to end action. Or the Visit will be shortlived.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Marshall said:
Neither applies. Olympic hockey, you have the best of the best.

College hockey isn't coached or talented to the level of the NHL.

Apples and oranges.

Perhaps you're right. I certainly wouldn't want them making any hasty rule changes and if there's a chance that this could slow down the game and they haven't thoroughly considered it, it's hasty.

What they really need to do is change the way the game is officiated. Put electric shock collars on the refs and zap them everytime they swallow their whistles or something.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
bhawk24bob said:
why do people keep ignoring this?
It's not people ignoring it, it's the NHL. The rules changes that would be most positive for the league are moving the blue lines three feet towards the ends, moving the goal line three feet towards then ends, and using tag-up offsides. The problem is, they are the ones who made those changes. If those were the only rules they modified, they'd be admitting to screwing up the game.

Now they are looking for all sorts of other rules to change so they people forget their failures in the past. I guess instead of admitting to screwing up the game in the past, it's easier to screw it up even more for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad