NHL buyout offer gets second wind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Bidders might offer separate bids for teams

A multibillion-dollar proposal by Boston financiers to buy the National Hockey League may still be alive.
The controlling partner of the New Jersey Devils is urging his fellow hockey team owners to give a fair hearing to the $3.5 billion league buyout offer from Bain Capital and sports dealmaker GamePlan LLC.
And GamePlan's Robert Caporale said unnamed team owners have sought out his group to quietly offer encouragement.

They're prepared to up their $3.5 million offer and negotiate with teams individually.

MacDaddy TLC*

This is cool. This is what we discussed in the previous thread. What if they manage to buy 22-24 teams?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
This is cool. This is what we discussed in the previous thread. What if they manage to buy 22-24 teams?

Toronto becomes a small market team. Just like the Rangers, Flyers, Wings and anyone else who doesn't sell there team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think that is a bit high Mac .. I could see 8 maybe as many as 10 ..

As business people its all about money .. Take Anaheim .. The were just purchased as were the Canucks ... If you could make a quick 10 -15 mil flipping them .. It would be tempting considering there is no attachment yet ..

Pittsburgh should really consider it .. I bet that if Bain got a hold of them the City of Pittsburgh and a new arena would be right around the corner ..

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
Toronto becomes a small market team. Just like the Rangers, Flyers, Wings and anyone else who doesn't sell there team.

The Leafs, Rangers, Flyers, Wings and every other big market team will still be a big market team. Why you think that they would suddenly become a small market teams baffles me. The "market" they are in doesn't change, only the ownership picture.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
There would be a lot of benefits to having 1 centralized ownership. It could really help competitive balance, and remove the instance where a couple of big money owners can throw everything out of whack. Wouldn't really need a salary cap to keep things controlled because they could basically get away with what was before collusion. There's not telling how they might run things though. Would they continue to let the big market teams spend away, and the small markets struggling to hold onto star players? And the big thing, with the current uncertainty already existing because of the lockout, who knows what effect bring in another huge uknown could do.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
RandV said:
There would be a lot of benefits to having 1 centralized ownership. It could really help competitive balance, and remove the instance where a couple of big money owners can throw everything out of whack. Wouldn't really need a salary cap to keep things controlled because they could basically get away with what was before collusion. There's not telling how they might run things though. Would they continue to let the big market teams spend away, and the small markets struggling to hold onto star players? And the big thing, with the current uncertainty already existing because of the lockout, who knows what effect bring in another huge uknown could do.

It doesn't matter really.. there are many teams that won't sell.. period

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
shakes said:
The Leafs, Rangers, Flyers, Wings and every other big market team will still be a big market team. Why you think that they would suddenly become a small market teams baffles me. The "market" they are in doesn't change, only the ownership picture.

because everyone else has more money?

It was a guess

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005

They can't. League rules don't allow anyone to have controlling interest in more than one at a time, and quite possibly you're not allowed to own ANY piece of more than one team at a time, though I'm not 100% sure of that far.

They can buy all the teams by buying the entire league, with all 30 teams accepting the offer, or they can buy one team, or they can buy zero teams. That's their options.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005

Nothing. This an all or nothing offer folks. Their business model only works (and is only legal - gets around all that nasty anti trust stuff) with a centralized (MLS model) ownership of all 30 teams.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
if impasse doesn't work for the NHL owners...this plan B option becomes a viable scenario. many owners would want out of the NHL if they can't get their way. BUT!!!!!! But, the large market owners will take some big time convincing to sell their team. should thus occur (FAT chance IMO), the NHLPA better fear for their lives. i would think such centralized ownership would allow for cost certainty of any value to be used.

yet, as far as buying individual teams go...see above post!

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
mr gib said:
i'd get rid of bettman in a flash but did you note the dig at the players - smells fishy - although go for it but go back 12 years and leave it alone - oi - beckham rools

What dig at the players was there in that article?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
The Messenger said:
I think that is a bit high Mac .. I could see 8 maybe as many as 10 ..

As business people its all about money .. Take Anaheim .. The were just purchased as were the Canucks ... If you could make a quick 10 -15 mil flipping them .. It would be tempting considering there is no attachment yet ..

Pittsburgh should really consider it .. I bet that if Bain got a hold of them the City of Pittsburgh and a new arena would be right around the corner ..

I don't know about that. The new Ducks owner is a billionaire who is really excited to own a team. I don't think he got into it to make 10 million off re-selling.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I'm not a legal expert yet but, what if Bain Capital agreed to finance the teams under the the NHL's control. There have been many times when the NHL has been in control of certain teams, so why not officially have the NHL control these X amount of teams, but have Bain Capital finance them.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
I will say this... if one Equity firm is going to buy the NHL, be happy that its Bain taking about it.

They are top of the line and are involved in the $11 billion SunGuard deal recently announced.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
LPHabsFan said:
I'm not a legal expert yet but, what if Bain Capital agreed to finance the teams under the the NHL's control. There have been many times when the NHL has been in control of certain teams, so why not officially have the NHL control these X amount of teams, but have Bain Capital finance them.

I can see how this would work. Bain would basically be providing a loan to the NHL for operating capital and instead of a fixed annual payment, they have a fixed return of profit.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:
I can see how this would work. Bain would basically be providing a loan to the NHL for operating capital and instead of a fixed annual payment, they have a fixed return of profit.

Yup. And it's not illegal since no one person/group is in control of the teams. The NHL is the official team operator. The owners that want out can get out. And the owners that still want in can stay. The NHL gets the money they need to stay alive and prosper, and Bain Capital gets whatever they want from this deal.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Is this stupid issue still being discussed?I'm sure the big market NHL teams will want to sell their clubs when the league is on the cusp of getting a terrific CBA which will increase the franchise values and profits. :shakehead

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
One thing not being discussed with all of this is Bain Capital could very well prove to be the financers for a "rogue league"

They were willing to take a $3.5 billion risk for the NHL... they might be willing to take a $1 bill risk for the "NHL2" (figure cap of $35, an additional $15 earmarked for for operating expenses and 24 teams).

If they can get a committment out of the NHLPA and a majority of its members, it could happen and leave the NHL owners with a COMPLETELY worthless corporation.

This NHL2 likely wouldn't have to play 2 games before NHL owners say, "let's deal" especially if they see legit teams set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad