NHL Board of Governors approves sale of Coyotes and relocation to Salt Lake City (Mod warning post #157)

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Super sad that one of the Avalanche's finalists from 1995 isn't in the mix for the name:

1714156837194.png

(Just kidding - "Rocky Mountain Extreme" sounds like a WalMart branded energy drink.)

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
If the mascot of a college found in the deep south can be the Rebels (Ole Miss), then a team in Utah can be the rebels.

We have a team in the NHL already whose name is directly taken from the Civil War, granted the other side.
No it can't. There's a college team named the Banana Slugs and that doesn't work for an NHL team either.

You can argue whether it's right or wrong, but it just won't happen in the NHL.

Outlaws would be a pretty sweet name, but realize the logo will be nerfed. No revolver and no cigarette. Would probably just be a cowboy silhouette, purple and black

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
Teams are moving away from being named after criminals, rebels can't work because of the civil war
I mean, you're probably right, but it's 2024, I feel like the word "rebels" is more associated with Star Wars than the civil war... :help:

Besides, like I said, the logo/branding doesn't have to be a bandana wearing guy with a cigarette and guns, it could just be a train rolling through a canyon, the connection is there, I think. Ah well, not my call, obviously... :laugh:

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
I love the name Outlaws... but not for Utah.

Just say it out loud. 'Utah Outlaws'. It does not flow smoothly phonetically.

Utah Blizzard and especially Utah Ice actually have a nice flow to them being spoken out loud.

Utah Ice would match the style of 'Utah Jazz' as well.

D34DLYB1RDS

Feb 1, 2024
Just for branding purposes best to use something unique. Those other nicknames have been around 2 decades plus.

Plus any bee themed nickname, be careful with color scheme as the hornets are teal and purple. Heard jazz owner likes keeping something similar to jazz colors which if it’s the updated ones from Malone and Stockton ear that was purple and light blue it may be too close to the hornets colors.

Seems some people mock up a double purple color scheme. That could work. Just do not want both colors to be the same as charlotte.
Anything Bee related, Utah Swarm... Black, Yellow and white colors uniforms.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Anything Bee related, Utah Swarm... Black, Yellow and white colors uniforms.
Owner said earlier he'd like to have the colors match or be close to the Jazz. That's my only concern with going with a bee nickname. Just don't be too close a match to the colors of the Hornets.
Jazz do wear that yellow, with red, orange and black jersey (like the Canucks skate jersey colors).

Purple/Yellow would be fine as well. Just not a purple/light blue which is basically a swap of the Hornets colors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad