NHL Audiences (Canada)

bayrider

Jun 4, 2006
Montreal
NHL audiences

With 11 days left in the regular season, the National Hockey League's TV audiences in Canada are down on the CBC, TSN and most of the regional broadcasts.

The exception is Réseau des Sports, the French-language rights holder that airs Montreal Canadiens games. RDS is averaging 688,000 viewers a game, up 25 per cent from last year.

The CBC's first-game audiences on Saturdays are down 1 per cent (1.381 million). Second-game audiences have dropped 20 per cent (748,000), a steep decrease that's partly attributable to a small number of Vancouver Canucks games aired early in the season. The decrease has narrowed since November, when the gap was 40 per cent.

TSN's national telecasts (418,000) are down 12 per cent.

However, comparisons with last year are somewhat anomalous because TSN and CBC enjoyed extraordinary audience spikes in 2005-06 due to interest generated by the NHL's return after a season-long lockout. If this season's audiences are measured against the prelockout 2003-04 season, CBC's audiences for the first game are up 9 per cent and the decrease for the second game shrinks to 2 per cent. For TSN, its national audiences are up 30 per cent from 2003-04.

Regional audiences, with one exception, have dropped:

Toronto Maple Leafs: down 6 per cent on TSN (471,000 average) and 20 per cent on Sportsnet (416,000).

Vancouver Canucks: down 6 per cent on Sportsnet (324,000).

Calgary Flames: down 7 per cent on Sportsnet (127,000).

Ottawa Senators: down 51 per cent on Sportsnet (83,000). The possibility of a Nielsen measurement irregularity is being looked into.

Edmonton Oilers are bucking a trend. Despite a poor season, their audiences on Sportsnet (157,000) are up 19 per cent.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070328.wspttruth28/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

Although part of a broader article, I think those numbers are very interesting to say the least. RDS is not in every home like the CBC is, nor do they have as large an audience (French speaking) like the rest: TSN, CBC, RSN.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Although part of a broader article, I think those numbers are very interesting to say the least. RDS is not in every home like the CBC is, nor do they have as large an audience (French speaking) like the rest: TSN, CBC, RSN.

I can maybe see as far as the Leafs, if fans are tiring of barely making or not making the playoffs(but they're very much in the hunt in a close race, so even that's curious)but the Canucks are making serious noise going into the post season and Calgary is all but there-why not higher ratings out west? Edmonton is interesting that they're losing but gaining viewership? Maybe a lot are tuning in to see the Oil's future players?

Namso

Aug 25, 2005
hmm...canadiens get better ratings than the leafs and every other canadian city. interesting...

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
The numbers are down after a spike after the Lockout; this was as predicted according to an earlier article by Houston.

What I find most interesting is what appears to be the relatively poor audience for the Leafs given the size of Sportsnet Ontario's market -- are the broadcasts excluded from the Ottawa area? Even if that's the case, it doesn't fully explain the difference. For Sportsnet, the Canucks are not that far off with 324,000 vs the Leafs at 416,000. Yet Sportsnet Pacific only broadcasts in British Columbia with a total population base of 4.3 million people (versus Ontario at 12.5 million). Edmonton's and Calgary's audiences, although much lower, appear much better on a per capita basis, with both franchises sharing the Sportsnet West region, and having a much smaller potential audience than the Leafs.

GHOST

Dar

Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
hmm...canadiens get better ratings than the leafs and every other canadian city. interesting...

Only if you want to ignore the fact that Toronto plays Saturdays. Factor in the CBC feeds and the Leafs draw close to 760,000 on average per game.

TSN and Sportsnet only air weekday games which common knowledge would suggest draw lower ratings than weekends.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Only if you want to ignore the fact that Toronto plays Saturdays. Factor in the CBC feeds and the Leafs draw close to 760,000 on average per game.

TSN and Sportsnet only air weekday games which common knowledge would suggest draw lower ratings than weekends.

You're right. It would impossible to compair the 2, as there are other factors in play as well (CBC Saturday games being a national broadcast, RDS being available nationally, RDS being in French). I think if you were able to get somewhat compairable #'s, then they would be close. What I think it would show is how much the 2 teams still dominate the Canadian NHL market, which would come as no surprise to anyone.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
What I find most interesting is what appears to be the relatively poor audience for the Leafs given the size of Sportsnet Ontario's market -- are the broadcasts excluded from the Ottawa area?
GHOST
Yes, they are - thankfully ;)

Ottawa's TV area is Kingston to the Quebec border, which is around 1.5M people, I believe. Don't know how many TV households that is, though.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
This isn't about ratings, but I'll ask it anyway...TSN is showing Tampa vs. Carolina tonight, and I can't figure out why since Ottawa-Montreal is at the same time. Is this due to some rights agreement or something? It seems an odd choice for a lot of reasons.

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
This isn't about ratings, but I'll ask it anyway...TSN is showing Tampa vs. Carolina tonight, and I can't figure out why since Ottawa-Montreal is at the same time. Is this due to some rights agreement or something? It seems an odd choice for a lot of reasons.

The Ottawa vs. Montreal game is a regional game. You can see it if you live in Ottawa's regional coverage area on Sportsnet.

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
Thanks! Here's another (probably stupid) question - are all Sportsnet games regional? Do they only show Canadian teams? Canadian TV coverage confuses me a bit, obviously.

Sportsnet focuses on Canadian teams. Here's how it's broken down between the four Sportsnet Channels.

Sportsnet Pacific
Vancouver Canucks: can be seen in British Columbia and the Yukon.

Sportsnet West
Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers: can be seen in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.

Sportsnet Ontario
Toronto Maple Leafs: can be seen in Ontario, west of a line drawn from Pembroke in the north, and Belleville in the south.

Sportsnet East
Ottawa Senators: can be seen in the Maritimes, Quebec and Ontario, east of a line drawn from Pembroke in the north, and Belleville in the south.

Those are the regions that can see the games. So if you're an Edmonton Oilers fan living in Ontario and you tune into Sportsnet West to watch the game it'll be blacked out in your area.

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
Doc-Snet doesn't cover Montreal games? I'd assume RDS does. What about English-speaking Canadien fans? Where do they watch games?
I'm surprised there isn't a Sportsnet Quebec.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
I can maybe see as far as the Leafs, if fans are tiring of barely making or not making the playoffs(but they're very much in the hunt in a close race, so even that's curious)but the Canucks are making serious noise going into the post season and Calgary is all but there-why not higher ratings out west? Edmonton is interesting that they're losing but gaining viewership? Maybe a lot are tuning in to see the Oil's future players?

In the case of the Oilers, an early season spike is almost certantly the reason for the increase in averave viewership. Defending WC champs, and playing fairly well early on. I would bet their viewership plummetted in the last month or so. However, the average is good news for the Oilers, as they are in a contract year.

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
Doc-Snet doesn't cover Montreal games? I'd assume RDS does. What about English-speaking Canadien fans? Where do they watch games?
I'm surprised there isn't a Sportsnet Quebec.

I checked it out and the Canadiens are listed as part of Sportsnet's schedule but I think they only show games on it if they're playing Ottawa. The Canadiens do have the contract with RDS so as for seeing the games in English you have to catch the National games covered by the CBC or TSN so your options are limited.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
In the case of the Oilers, an early season spike is almost certantly the reason for the increase in averave viewership. Defending WC champs, and playing fairly well early on. I would bet their viewership plummetted in the last month or so. However, the average is good news for the Oilers, as they are in a contract year.

Do you have any idea (link if possible) of the terms (length and amount of dollars) the Oiler are asking for/expecting to obtain with Sportsnet on a new contract? Is there any chance the TV rights could be bid on by an alternative network?

Thanks,

GHOST

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.

TSN obtained the rights to show certain American vs. American-based teams' games. They sometimes use the Versus or RSN feeds. They actually get very decent ratings (see the thread "NHL TV ratings and revenues").

GHOST

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Do you have any idea (link if possible) of the terms (length and amount of dollars) the Oiler are asking for/expecting to obtain with Sportsnet on a new contract? Is there any chance the TV rights could be bid on by an alternative network?

Thanks,

GHOST

The only possible alternative network would be TSN, which would probably create nothing but headaches given the local blackouts that would be necessitated if Sportsnet and TSN were to broadcast a Flames and Oilers game on the same night, respectively.

Realistically, Sportsnet is the only option. In the past, the Oilers have actually simply purchased air time on Sportsnet, then sold the advertising themselves. Its one of the reasons why Quinn and Ferraro are so bloody biassed - they work for the Oilers, not Sportsnet.

While I suspect that the Oilers would look for a similar arrangement into the future, one has to wonder if they might decide if it is smarter to simply sell the rights to Sportsnet for a set fee, as the Flames do, given the probability they are about to enter a bit of a rebuilding phase, and a likely downturn in TV interest as a result.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
The only possible alternative network would be TSN, which would probably create nothing but headaches given the local blackouts that would be necessitated if Sportsnet and TSN were to broadcast a Flames and Oilers game on the same night, respectively.

Realistically, Sportsnet is the only option. In the past, the Oilers have actually simply purchased air time on Sportsnet, then sold the advertising themselves. Its one of the reasons why Quinn and Ferraro are so bloody biassed - they work for the Oilers, not Sportsnet.

While I suspect that the Oilers would look for a similar arrangement into the future, one has to wonder if they might decide if it is smarter to simply sell the rights to Sportsnet for a set fee, as the Flames do, given the probability they are about to enter a bit of a rebuilding phase, and a likely downturn in TV interest as a result.

Hrm, Millions also receives paychecks from the Flames. Harry Neale and Joe Bowen direct from the Leafs.

Current SNET/Oilers deal expires at the end of 07-08

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Hmm, I was under the impression that it was after this season. Potentially bad news then for the Oilers, given that their viewership will very likely be lower.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Trizent, what do you do that makes you so knowledgable about TV contracts and the like? Is it just a hobby or are you in the industry?

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Those are the regions that can see the games. So if you're an Edmonton Oilers fan living in Ontario and you tune into Sportsnet West to watch the game it'll be blacked out in your area.
Thank you for the info. :) I don't catch a whole lot of games on Sportsnet, wasn't sure if they ever showed games nationally, but it looks like they don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad