NHL announces 2018 Global Series. Oilers/Devils Sweden, Panthers/Jets Finland

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Disappointed to hear the Canes declined but I am looking forward to the Jets going to Finland. It will be the 1st time since September 15, 1977 that a Winnipeg Jets team played a game in Finland. On that day, the Jets and IFK Helsinki played to a 6-6 tie. Winnipeg had gone to Finland and Sweden for a series of exhibition games (9 in total) against club teams in both countries. The Jets finished with a 5-3-1 record.

:jets

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It's one thing to have end of camp and preseason game+season opener in Europe, it's another to go to Europe after a month.

(Jet lag is ~3 days either side of travel to/from Europe)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Huge untapped commercial potential for the league and the sport in general in these two countries.

sacr6_2737.jpg

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
Hopefully Olli Jokinen can make a special appearance as the Panthers mascot for the game in Finland.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Would be cool if the NHL were to start looking at other countries besides Scandinavia like Germany or the UK.

The oilers will play an exhibition in Cologne before their game vs the Devils in Sweden (who themselves have a game in I think Bern or Zurich).

Also, the NHL has played games in London before.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This is much better than the Stadium Series.

Maybe one Heritage Classic/Winter Classic a season along with this and the NHL is doing everything right.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
It would never happen but it would be freaking awsome to have a Champions League Tournament in the summer.
Winners of the Stanley Cup, KHL, Swedish, Finnish, Swiss, German Elite Leagues playing in one epic champion of the world tournament.
I would enjoy that way more than a World Cup essentially run by the NHL

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Sounds like tickets sold pretty quick for these games.

Guess all that Olympic exposure has really helped the league market itself internationally. ;)

IamherefortheFinn

ObsessedWithTheLion
May 24, 2015
Trio Areena
Sounds like tickets sold pretty quick for these games.

Almost all of the "cheap" upper bowl tickets for the Finnish games went in two minutes. They were 139 euros (long sides), 99 euros (curves) and 89 euros (end).

Almost all of the lower bowl was reserved in 10 minutes and basically sold out in an half on hour. They went for 235 euros (long sides) and 199 euros.

Some tickets came back for sale from the reserved ones and i was able to get for the friday game two seats next to eachother from the top of the curve in the lower bowl. 200 euros (250 usd) for a single seat in a hockey game. I have never paid that much previously :-/

I would venture a guess that they make something in the ballpark of 5-7 million usd revenue from the tickets of the two games in Finland. Thats including the value added tax. Hope that it covers the costs so that we can get the NHL to visit more often.

Guess all that Olympic exposure has really helped the league market itself internationally. ;)

Patrik Laine
Sasha Barkov
Joel Armia, The Jets and The Panthers

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Hartwall Arena, NHL Global Series, press-center, KHL´s Avtomobilist vs Jokerit :D

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

Check out the attendance for the open training session.

Seems fairly solid for a practice in a foreign country, or is this not good?

If VGK practiced in T-Mobile that's about what I'd expect, and the Knights got a lot of hype for having to turn people away from practices.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It is considering the tickets cost 20 euros.
Then it's insanely good. They're actually charging to see practice?

Sometimes the stuff this league does makes no sense. Get people in there for free, practices stink. 20 Euro to watch guys skate around and do drills for 45 minutes?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Disappointed to hear the Canes declined but I am looking forward to the Jets going to Finland. It will be the 1st time since September 15, 1977 that a Winnipeg Jets team played a game in Finland. On that day, the Jets and IFK Helsinki played to a 6-6 tie. Winnipeg had gone to Finland and Sweden for a series of exhibition games (9 in total) against club teams in both countries. The Jets finished with a 5-3-1 record.

A little late with this but that's not correct. Jets played in Finland before the 94-95 lockout. They played against Tappara on September 9th and HIFK on the 11th.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
A little late with this but that's not correct. Jets played in Finland before the 94-95 lockout. They played against Tappara on September 9th and HIFK on the 11th.

Glad to be corrected on that one Jussi. It was hard to locate data for those 2 games. I was able to find some video of the game against HIFK in which the Jets won 5-3. It was on the European size ice surface which made it an extra challenge for the Jets. The highlight was a goal by Teemu Selänne on back and forth passing between him and Keith Tkachuk following a pass at center by HIFK that was intercepted by Tkachuk and the Jets broke in on a three on none with Alexei Zhamnov trailing Selänne and Tkachuk. The goal put the Jets up 4-2 at that point. Another interesting observation about the game was that the Jets were wearing their white uniforms but with their blue helmets. It actually looked pretty good with the red pants. If you were able to find the score of the Jets game against Tappara, let me know what the final result was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->