NHL and WWII

Status
Not open for further replies.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Ive heard alot recently about how neither World Wars prevented the Stanley Cup from being rewarded, and I saw that during the war, the Red Wings won 2 Cups. But, were any Americans playing during the war? I know a lot of celebrities enlisted as there was a draft at the time. So how did the war affect the league?

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
theBob said:
Ive heard alot recently about how neither World Wars prevented the Stanley Cup from being rewarded, and I saw that during the war, the Red Wings won 2 Cups. But, were any Americans playing during the war? I know a lot of celebrities enlisted as there was a draft at the time. So how did the war affect the league?

One effect of world war II was due to train shortages, regular season overtime was abolished, and games ending after 60 minutes were called ties. We didn't see return overtime until the five minute sudden death format emerged about 40 years later. What is interesting is that 60 years ago our forefathers weren't dumb enough to come to the solution of the shootout. They new that a tie was a hell of a lot better than a win decided by that mockery of the game of hockey.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
Bring Back Bucky said:
One effect of world war II was due to train shortages, regular season overtime was abolished, and games ending after 60 minutes were called ties. We didn't see return overtime until the five minute sudden death format emerged about 40 years later. What is interesting is that 60 years ago our forefathers weren't dumb enough to come to the solution of the shootout. They new that a tie was a hell of a lot better than a win decided by that mockery of the game of hockey.

I was going to argue with you about shootouts and them being a "mockery of the game," but then I saw your avatar and user title and almost fell out of my chair laughing. Very nice job.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Vicious Vic said:
I was going to argue with you about shootouts and them being a "mockery of the game," but then I saw your avatar and user title and almost fell out of my chair laughing. Very nice job.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Allright, Vicious Vic, what's so funny about a special fantastic poodle going without her special treats, pampering, ribbons, bows, etc.????? Have a heart, feed a doggie in need.

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
theBob said:

According to this site, between 1939 and 1942, 90 NHL players were either drafted or enlisted for service during WW2 and the quality of the league suffered. The site doesn't say whether or not they joined the American or Canadian armed forces. I would note that the bulk of the Red Wings players (and the NHL) were Canadian and I don't think Canada ever had a draft. I'm pretty sure Canada has always prided itself on its strictly volunteer armed forces.

In the OP you mentioned Detroit won two cups during WW2. The US participated in the war from 1941 to 1945 and Detroit only won one Cup during that period (1942-1943). I checked the roster for that team at hockeydb.com and didn't see a single American born player.

Hope this helps....

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Icer said:
According to this site, between 1939 and 1942, 90 NHL players were either drafted or enlisted for service during WW2 and the quality of the league suffered. The site doesn't say whether or not they joined the American or Canadian armed forces. I would note that the bulk of the Red Wings players (and the NHL) were Canadian and I don't think Canada ever had a draft. I'm pretty sure Canada has always prided itself on its strictly volunteer armed forces.

In the OP you mentioned Detroit won two cups during WW2. The US participated in the war from 1941 to 1945 and Detroit only won one Cup during that period (1942-1943). I checked the roster for that team at hockeydb.com and didn't see a single American born player.

Hope this helps....

canada did have a draft for both world wars. however, in WWII, it wasn't until the end of the war that the conscripted men were sent oversees.

http://warmuseum.ca/cwm/newspapers/canadawar/conscription_e.html

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
theBob said:
were any Americans playing during the war?
I came across this 1970 & 2004 comparison today, and I thought you might be interested in these statistics.

1970: 98% of the NHL players were Canadians
2004: 53% of the NHL players are Canadians

Here's a link to the page at the Hockey Hall of Fame's site.

- - - - - -​
Also, here's a little story about the famous Boston Bruins line of Milt Schmidt, Woody Dumart and Bobby Bauer, they were given a nickname that related to their German ancestry by Providence Reds coach Albert Leduc.

The three linemates enlisted in Royal Canadian Air Force at the same time, and played their last game against the Montreal Canadiens on January 10, 1942 before going of to the service. At the conclusion of the game, the three men were carried off the ice on the shoulders of players from both teams as the crowd gave a standing ovation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad