NHL and NHLPA to meet on Wednesday and Thursday in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanny MacDonald*

The Messenger said:
Yup .. Thursday should do it ..

After the US long weekend, everyone comes back well rested and in no time at all the two sides should agree on a new CBA.

Thats the way I see it to .. ;)

They got most of the Big Issues out of the way .. Now they are only left with deciding if they are going to go with $50 Mil cap the NHLPA wants or the $30 mil the NHL wants .. How long could that take to resolve realistically ??

Really? I thought poked your head out of your hole, saw your shadow, and predicted another 18 months before a resolution was reached?

:sarcasm:

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Werent they going to meet Wednesday & Thursday....guess they just cancelled the Wednesday meeting.

Huh?

And upon looking at the TSN website, you're right.

5/29/2005 9:00:47 PM

TORONTO (CP) - Talks will resume Thursday in Toronto between the NHL and the NHL Players' Association.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=126432

Interesting. I seem to recall reading somewhere Goodenow and Bettman weren't scheduled to be at the Wednesday meeting anyway and that it was to be another financial review session. If that's been cancelled, that could be percieved as negative (don't want to talk, don't think they're close) or positive (have settled the accounting issues they've been debating).

Will be interesting to see what happens...

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
It just seems to me that if they were really serious, they'd be meeting more than twice a week.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Seachd said:
It just seems to me that if they were really serious, they'd be meeting more than twice a week.

there's got to be a lot of planning and reporting back to constituents that probably occurs between meetings. i think both sides are anxious to see each other as often as possible.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The Iconoclast said:
Really? I thought poked your head out of your hole, saw your shadow, and predicted another 18 months before a resolution was reached?

:sarcasm:

Why would he be hiding? You're quick to forget that this entire CBA is EXACTLY how Goodenow planned it. Kinda like the black knight in Monty Python... after his arms and legs have been cut off, "All right... we'll call it a draw!"

So, Messenger is holding his head up high, not hiding at all, because of the genius and firm leadership of Bob Goodenow; whose wisdom is freeing the slaves we call NHL players!

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
King'sPawn said:
So, Messenger is holding his head up high, not hiding at all, because of the genius and firm leadership of Bob Goodenow; whose wisdom is freeing the slaves we call NHL players!

Remember, they're not slaves; they're auto workers (Todd Marchant notwithstanding).

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Werent they going to meet Wednesday & Thursday....guess they just cancelled the Wednesday meeting.

The Wednesday meeting is/was going to be another small group meeting going over each team's finances.When they finished their last meeting last Thursday,Daly indicated they were almost finished going over the finances but they needed one more meeting to complete the process.Maybe they didn't need to meet in person and finished those talks over the phone

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
eddywatson said:
well why didnt that do that from the start

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Because the 'PA wasn't willing to talk cap until February, and wasn't willing to talk linkage until very recently. The League had to starve them out in order to reach this stage.

The meetings back in the Fall and Winter went something like this:

NHL: "You guys willing to play under a cap?"

'PA: "No."

NHL: (pause)..."OK, how about now?"

'PA: "No."

NHL: "OK, when should we meet again?"

'PA: "When you guys stop talking cap."

...and on it went. One side had to cave, and it ended up being the players. Thus, we are where we are.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Crazy_Ike said:
Bob Goodenow.

keep your dumb comments to yourself........ :shakehead

just because you hate the guy for your own personally reasons.. doesn't mean you were there and hear and seen what happend

how can you accuse a guy when you don't know..

I can easily say... it was because of Gary Bettman...

Grow up..... :dunno:

kingbrath

Jul 15, 2002
Calgary, AB
Visit site
joepeps said:
keep your dumb comments to yourself........ :shakehead

just because you hate the guy for your own personally reasons.. doesn't mean you were there and hear and seen what happend

how can you accuse a guy when you don't know..

I can easily say... it was because of Gary Bettman...

Grow up..... :dunno:

wow, lets try to calm down a bit now
:cry:

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Whoa WHOA

There is far too much animosity in here.

lets keep it civil.

if you need to lash out just direct it towards me instead, I'll take one for the team and be the verbal punching bag.

direct all insults, slander, and other rude comments to me.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
SSJTOM said:
Whoa WHOA

There is far too much animosity in here.

lets keep it civil.

if you need to lash out just direct it towards me instead, I'll take one for the team and be the verbal punching bag.

direct all insults, slander, and other rude comments to me.
Your in box is full SSJ ..

You need to address those cards and letters quicker .. Maybe put a Hard Cap limit on the number of big market fans that can send in comments, to give the smaller markets a chance, basically creating a little in-box parity if you prefer ..:)

mooseOAK*

DR said:
if only they did, we would be watching the playoffs

dr

If the owners stuck to their budgets and were putting a lot of money in their pockets under the old CBA then we would be looking at a strike now instead of a lockout.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
mooseOAK said:
If the owners stuck to their budgets and were putting a lot of money in their pockets under the old CBA then we would be looking at a strike now instead of a lockout.
Or we would be talking about the Maple Leafs and MLSE.

Both of those are possiblities if the talk is about budgets, can't rule either out.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
The Messenger said:
Your in box is full SSJ ..

You need to address those cards and letters quicker .. Maybe put a Hard Cap limit on the number of big market fans that can send in comments, to give the smaller markets a chance, basically creating a little in-box parity if you prefer ..:)

Inbox contains 15 messages.
You have 23 messages stored, of a total 99 allowed.

:dunno:

Maybee it's you Mes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad