NHL Agent Don Meehan: We have what we've built

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It certainly gives you a greater appreciation about what an agent has to deal with in their day to day dealings with their clients. Jagr wanting a free car, free apartment...I guess he thought he was still in Europe.

Meehan does bring up a good point about this upcoming meeting with Goodenow. If the agents aren't being asked for their input by the NHLPA, why are they having a meeting?

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
They're having a meeting to tell the agents to not get involved and to keep them informed of the process. It would be a disaster for the NHLPA if the agents rebelled against them, the players would soon follow.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
From what I read, Meehan will respect the negotiation process, only in so far as accountability. He might get involved if the players, his clients, feel that Goodenow is not representing their best interests. He stepped in to help the refs and could step in here. He has a strong relationship with both the players and management.

He represents a fair number of players and Goodenow knows that Meehan could easily wrestle away control of the NHLPA. The agents' meeting might be to tell the agents not to get involved. But for how long? Is Bob Goodenow on the clock?

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
chara said:
Is Bob Goodenow on the clock?

Absolutely not.

Say what you will about Goodenow but this guy delivered the goods to the players. He swung the pendelum from one extreme that lasted the life of the NHL to the other extreme in just 10 years. From a player standpoint there would be absolutely no reason to get antsy about Goodenow....unless they grew a concience.... but that is pie in the sky wishful thinking.....

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
...and the agents come out of the meeting hand in hand with flowers in their hair...'make love not war' and all that. :)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=104924

Funny comparing Meehan's words:

Today:

"I really thought it was beneficial so all of us could get a better understanding of the process at hand and have an opportunity at conveying thoughts and issues. All in all, I would say it was a very productive meeting.''

Last friday:

"I think the PA feels, and I've only heard this secondhand, they'd prefer to have no involvement by the agents nor are they seeking involvement. So, really if that's the way they feel I have to respect that. Which might beg one to say, "Well, what are you having a meeting for?" You'll have to ask Goodenow about that."

"I think the more substantial people would feel that if they have any submissions for consideration they would probably feel there's a better environment to discuss those issues with Bob, because anything that's mentioned in that hearing will be outside the door in 10 minutes. So I think the substantial people realize that if they're asked they'll gladly give their help. So if we're not asked, and we're not being asked, then I think an individual would have to make a decision whether they feel they want to talk to Bob privately about some concepts, some ideas, some considerations. And then, of course, there's the other group of people who may only want to hear themselves talk and have no clue about the process. And unfortunately those people will take most of the time."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad