NHL Advanced Stats Websites

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
puckiq, even though it's horrible to use

I'll check it out.

This is honestly the perfect time for someone to release their website, they could gain users very fast. I would try to if I weren't so lazy and it wasn't so time consuming.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Now that war on ice, corsica, puckalytics, and stats.hockeyanalysis are down, what are people using for advanced stats?

Also curious if anyone knows what happened??

corsica taken down for off season improvements

lots of these other sites including stats.hockeyanalysis were run by guys who got hired by teams forcing them to shut their sites down to public

major major

Feb 18, 2013
We desperately need a stats.hockeyanalysis replacement. That site had almost everything.

All the WOWYs, scoring rates by strength, etc.. Is there another place where I can find those?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
We desperately need a stats.hockeyanalysis replacement. That site had almost everything.

All the WOWYs, scoring rates by strength, etc.. Is there another place where I can find those?

this, this was arguably the best site. the WOWYs were HUGE.

what a loss for the community.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Is hockeystats.ca not working for anyone else? I feel like this is the Dark Ages for advanced stats sites.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Does anyone else have trouble with Corsica tables timing out and refusing to load? Any known solution?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I never thought stats.hockeyanalysis would go anywhere ...

Oh well. Repeating the question but what's everyones go to site now? (Excluding Corsica, that's my #1 and probably only one when it gets running again along with naturalstattrick)
hockeyanalysis.com was my go to site too.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Does anyone else have trouble with Corsica tables timing out and refusing to load? Any known solution?

You just have to keep refereshing.

A few ways to avoid the the problems:

1. Once a page/table starts to load don't change any options and just wait for it to load. If you change an option when it's loading you will almost always get the "Data Table" error.

2. Once the table loads you can only interact with it for a minute or so. Any attempt to interact with a table after a 40-60 seconds of inactivity (like sorting by a different column) will give you the "Data Table" error.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You just have to keep refereshing.

A few ways to avoid the the problems:

1. Once a page/table starts to load don't change any options and just wait for it to load. If you change an option when it's loading you will almost always get the "Data Table" error.

2. Once the table loads you can only interact with it for a minute or so. Any attempt to interact with a table after a 40-60 seconds of inactivity (like sorting by a different column) will give you the "Data Table" error.

Yea I've picked up on those tips as well. Its just super obnoxious that its such a great data set but is so funky to work with.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
man, every site in that OP is dead now. lol.

stats.hockeyanalysis. was the best with their wowy stuff. where can I retreive WOWY stats for this season? Corsica's WOWY section redirects me to a YouTube video, looks like it's under construction/development

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I haven't seen HockeyViz mentioned yet.

HockeyViz

It's all per-genterated rather than free form searches and some stuff like historical data is paid access only but it's still the best site out there for things like WoWY and is good for shot charts as well

lowryad93

lowryad93

lowryad93

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Once again,

All the sites you discuss are products of my base theories.
Corsica uses my HD shot theory.
He breaks down my theory into low med high danger shots.
Which is a gross mistake.
I advised him to look at the line in the sand we’re teams are willing to modify offensive and defensive approach defined by reward.
HD shots that average 17.5% success
LD (Perimeter) shots avg 3.5% success.

Thier are 2 forms of analysis.
Analytical is a binary driven mechanism.
Looking for a single solution. Relying on regression to a norm.

Empirical is a goal to seek the peripheries of the norm.
The best 40 and worst 40 at any skill. Tied to video and repeatable base performance. What gm,s look for. + ve and negative difference makers.

Puck IQ was created by Woodguy and Gmoney
Late comers to Alan Mitchels blog site.
When I sought out the 40 worst and best relative to HD analysis.
Fenwick to shots 85-87%
Corsi to shots 78-82%
Misses to shots 66%
Corsi to fenwick 47%
Puck IQ is based on Dangerous Fenwick which is the worse way to define what GM,s needs.

But everyone is excited by using regression.

Magnus Carlson said that he can visualize 100 moves ahead when permutations exceeds 1 billion after 4 moves.

As a high functioning Autistic I could visualize 128000 pieces of data in up to 10 axis array graph.
From 08 to 12 my wife referred to it as the rainman, beautiful mind time from 10pm to 2-4pm. She did not see 05-08 when I was a single dad.

It bothered me that many did not understand my explanation of the ,mechanisms of my theories.
Not understanding most people do not have identical memory or an ability to visualize 10 array graphing.

Rob volman did understand this. He created a 2 axis version of my player 512 group situational usage 3D matrix based on comp, team, zone start excluding all ZS data based on a coaches decision to bench change a player on with or without pocession.
Ron volman,s 2 axis versions is 33% inaccurate and 80%+ inaccurate in empirical terms.

This is why I call out the individuals improperly using my theories.
You will find a request by me ( on HF boards and Alan Mitchell,s blog) to credit me with the use of my work, and not to profit on it.

A practice not Followed.
I am in the process of developing a web site, of all my proprietary theories.
That will include videos from individuals I had Discussions with about the theory to be presented.
Brayden Mcnabb’s mom “High danger shot theory”
Dallas stars former goalie coach. “Binary shot designation.”
A top 2 scout with WHL team “False eye affect- single event analysis”
“Belichek & me - baseline performance repeatability”

Yet to here from a strong & insightful blogger (Ron from Red Deer) who posted for first 2 years 05-06 & 06-07 on Alan Mitchell’s blog site.

Last edited:

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Is hockeystats.ca not working for anyone else? I feel like this is the Dark Ages for advanced stats sites.

My wife an editor/reporter for Postmedia& formerly SunMedia
Indicated that not crediting me in thier databases ( not actual analytics) is unethical.

I have been advising media outlets of the lack of crediting my work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad