Prospect Info: NHL 2017 Entry Draft - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think there's very little chance Matteos is drafted before Rasmussen. In fact the team that picks Rasmussen could probably pick Matteos in the second round if they want to. There's bound to be a goalie run early in the 2nd round pushing guys like Matteo's down the board.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think there's very little chance Matteos is drafted before Rasmussen. In fact the team that picks Rasmussen could probably pick Matteos in the second round if they want to. There's bound to be a goalie run early in the 2nd round pushing guys like Matteo's down the board.

Absolutely these are my personal rankings though not a mock draft or any ranking of where I think guys will go. Morand is an interesting ranking of mine because I would never take him with #13 but I feel he is a high end talent but I think he could be an option in the 2nd and a very high value option. Rasmussen doesn't tickle my fancy in any way.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Absolutely but what he's doing at the level he's at pretty damn good. Don't you think?

Yes, but I'm not sure I'd put him that high. He's one of the older players in the draft... almost a year older than Suzuki and Brannstrom.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Absolutely these are my personal rankings though not a mock draft or any ranking of where I think guys will go. Morand is an interesting ranking of mine because I would never take him with #13 but I feel he is a high end talent but I think he could be an option in the 2nd and a very high value option. Rasmussen doesn't tickle my fancy in any way.

I'd be extatic if we got Morand in the second. This kid has vision that you don't see very often.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yes, but I'm not sure I'd put him that high. He's one of the older players in the draft... almost a year older than Suzuki and Brannstrom.

You put a lot of stock in age. It's definitely something to look at but it's not something I'd bank on. Talent is talent even if it's 9 months apart.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Are these undersized but high scorers similar to Petan?

I think Yamamoto is miles better personally. Kid is extremely versatile and has more of a scoring touch. Isn't afraid to get physical with his frame either. Petan was always very timid physically in the WHL. Yamamoto goes hard in the corners and is a much better skater.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
A kid I would really like to fall to us in the second round (unlikely but possible).

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/06/03/nation-network-2017-prospect-profiles-32-urho-vaakanainen/

Nice review by Garret.

It would be a huge coup if we snatched him with our 2nd. I was even thinking that there's an outside chance that he might be claimed by the Jets with the #13 pick, would be a reach but the kind of reach many can get behind. He was being hyped by some finnish posters on HF as the Finnish Lidstrom prior to his draft year so the upside is huge.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You put a lot of stock in age. It's definitely something to look at but it's not something I'd bank on. Talent is talent even if it's 9 months apart.

Sure, but production really depends a lot on age and development at that stage. I do think that age is an important factor in assessing production. Yamamoto is a great talent, but he's also almost a full year older than Brannstrom and Suzuki. This was his third full season in the WHL.

Suzuki is almost a full year younger, and in his second OHL season he blew away Yamamoto's production in his second year in the WHL (at about the same age).

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sure, but production really depends a lot on age and development at that stage. I do think that age is an important factor in assessing production. Yamamoto is a great talent, but he's also almost a full year older than Brannstrom and Suzuki. This was his third full season in the WHL.

Suzuki is almost a full year younger, and in his second OHL season he blew away Yamamoto's production in his second year in the WHL (at about the same age).

I wouldn't say blew away. They are about 6 points apart in projected production comparing those two seasons. With the goal edge to Suzuki and the assists edge to Yamamoto.
Just watch the kid the talent is evident.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It would be a huge coup if we snatched him with our 2nd. I was even thinking that there's an outside chance that he might be claimed by the Jets with the #13 pick, would be a reach but the kind of reach many can get behind. He was being hyped by some finnish posters on HF as the Finnish Lidstrom prior to his draft year so the upside is huge.

If he turns into the Finnish Lidstrom I'd be pretty surprised. He's good but not even close IMO.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wouldn't say blew away. They are about 6 points apart in projected production comparing those two seasons. With the goal edge to Suzuki and the assists edge to Yamamoto.
Just watch the kid the talent is evident.

Actually, a pro-rated 16 point edge to Suzuki (1.48 vs. 1.25 points/game), with a big edge in goals.

I really like Yamamoto and his skill is outstanding, but I just don't see him as a top-10 talent. But he's a player that could certainly prove me and others wrong.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Actually, a pro-rated 16 point edge to Suzuki (1.48 vs. 1.25 points/game), with a big edge in goals.

I really like Yamamoto and his skill is outstanding, but I just don't see him as a top-10 talent. But he's a player that could certainly prove me and others wrong.

Everyone agreed he was a solid talent until his height and weight came out, now the reverse is happening. He's being massively underrated. Kid is probably the best pure athlete of this draft class and will be the new poster boy for small forwards. He's better than Gaudreau in so many ways.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Everyone agreed he was a solid talent until his height and weight came out, now the reverse is happening. He's being massively underrated. Kid is probably the best pure athlete of this draft class and will be the new poster boy for small forwards. He's better than Gaudreau in so many ways.

I still think he's a solid talent, and I don't think his height and weight moves the needle much for me. I never thought he was a top-10 prospect for this draft, but he could surprise.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I still think he's a solid talent, and I don't think his height and weight moves the needle much for me. I never thought he was a top-10 prospect for this draft, but he could surprise.

He's probably got more pure skill in his left hand than most kids in this class. Easily one of the best skaters of this class. Hischier is probably faster.

Last edited:

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Great article.

Anyone know how Niku's Corsi stats looked in the Liiga this past season?

This is all I could find.

http://liiga.fi/tilastot/2016-2017/...&player_stats=enhanced&sort=PDO#stats-wrapper

L = Shot
HPA = Off. zone starts
PPA = Def. zone starts

Note that even a missed or a blocked shot, well basically anything you throw in the general direction, counts as a shot..

This is just his team's D-men,
you can choose all teams from Joukkue: kaikki (the 1st option)
And all positions from Pelaajat: kaikki pelaajat(1st option)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This is all I could find.

http://liiga.fi/tilastot/2016-2017/...&player_stats=enhanced&sort=PDO#stats-wrapper

L = Shot
HPA = Off. zone starts
PPA = Def. zone starts

Note that even a missed or a blocked shot, well basically anything you throw in the general direction, counts as a shot..

This is just his team's D-men,
you can choose all teams from Joukkue: kaikki (the 1st option)
And all positions from Pelaajat: kaikki pelaajat(1st option)

Thanks.

So Niku with a nice positive close CF% (>53%), though he did get a push into the O zone in terms of usage.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Was just looking at the wingspans over the last few combines - back to 2009.

Stanley has the 3nd longest overall, and 2nd longest for a skater with 82.75". Tops was Daniel Vladar (a goalie with 84.0"), and Dylan McIlrath with a 83.0" wingspan.

So he's big... :sarcasm:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
So what's Montreal got up their sleeves? The other two teams make sense.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-...y-before-stanley-cup-final-game-4/c-289787964

Patrick said he'll next travel to meet with the Montreal Canadiens, New Jersey Devils and Philadelphia Flyers before he goes home to Winnipeg later this week. He'll be examined by each team's medical staff during the visits. A sports hernia limited him to 33 games this season, but he was cleared by doctors to participate in all the fitness testing at the combine.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So what's Montreal got up their sleeves? The other two teams make sense.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-...y-before-stanley-cup-final-game-4/c-289787964

Patrick said he'll next travel to meet with the Montreal Canadiens, New Jersey Devils and Philadelphia Flyers before he goes home to Winnipeg later this week. He'll be examined by each team's medical staff during the visits. A sports hernia limited him to 33 games this season, but he was cleared by doctors to participate in all the fitness testing at the combine.

Wonder if the Habs are making a move for the 3rd overall pick? They've been after a 1C for awhile now. Seriously doubt Patrick falls that far though. Or maybe the Habs are thinking about going into a rebuild and have some sort of big trade worked out with NJ or Philly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad