NHL 19: Wish List

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
-The ability to go in an make custom jerseys for actual NHL teams instead of making you create a custom team.

-Adding alot more into a create a team. More arena templates, more scoreboard templates, more logos, more customization. Allow players to make new AHL teams if they choose too.

-Importing actual AHL arena's into the game or at least having 5-10 different templates so every arena doesnt look the same.

-Hire/fire coaches.

-Make computer general managers smarter in terms of RFA's and cap space. I see too many great players hit free agency, which is nice sometimes but other times is stupid ridiculous. Also would like to see computer general managers be smarter in who theyre signing. If you need centers why would you overpay for defensmen that you dont need.

-Having certain players, specifically centers, be able to play either center or wing. All the time ill see computers set up theyre lineup with higher overall centers playing the third or fourth line just cause they are centers.

-Bring back the outdoor games and make players actually bid for the games. If you win the Cup or rank higher in popularity it should be easier for you to get the game.

Jadenb

May 20, 2017
-The ability to go in an make custom jerseys for actual NHL teams instead of making you create a custom team.

-Adding alot more into a create a team. More arena templates, more scoreboard templates, more logos, more customization. Allow players to make new AHL teams if they choose too.

-Importing actual AHL arena's into the game or at least having 5-10 different templates so every arena doesnt look the same.

-Hire/fire coaches.

-Make computer general managers smarter in terms of RFA's and cap space. I see too many great players hit free agency, which is nice sometimes but other times is stupid ridiculous. Also would like to see computer general managers be smarter in who theyre signing. If you need centers why would you overpay for defensmen that you dont need.

-Having certain players, specifically centers, be able to play either center or wing. All the time ill see computers set up theyre lineup with higher overall centers playing the third or fourth line just cause they are centers.

-Bring back the outdoor games and make players actually bid for the games. If you win the Cup or rank higher in popularity it should be easier for you to get the game.
Great ideas brought up, honestly if I was going to suggest anything, those would be my points along with making the CPU not trade their best players at the deadline when they’re in the playoff race.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
For years I thought it would be awesome if NHL took the idea of the FIFA loading screen. In FIFA you can dribble the ball and take shots on the goalie while the game loads and when it is ready the field changes from a practice field to you shooting in the stadium.

NHL should do the same and have you take part in the warm up drills or just something simple like shootout mode while you wait.

My favorite mode is Be A GM/Franchise mode and there is a lot I would like to change.

1) I would love to be able to fire my coach and hire a new one that has a different strategy rather than just changing your team's strategies by hand. Maybe the coaches can have different attributes like one boosts G, others boost D or F, other ones help young players grow quicker, others give you better scouting.

2) Better AI, like always. If I am down by a goal in the last minute and put all my teams strategies to the most aggressive level, if I lose the puck I want the computer defensemen or whoever is there be aggressive and pinch on the puck carrier or body him up, not just skate backwards and giving the other team center ice and an easy empty netter.

3) Better presentation. Make the mode a production, I used to love the Draft in Madden because they made it feel like a big event. Even now Madden has Adam Schefter and Trey Wingo voicing over the draft and when certain players are taken they tell stories about them, whether it be highlights from big games or going to their house for an interview. Same thing goes for the Trade Deadline and Free Agency.

4) More intricate scouting. unless you do it every single week, it is impossible to scout every region and every position in those regions, so might as well make it more interesting. Give us scouting points and we can just use then to select certain players to see a something that gives a hint towards the players potential without giving it away.

5) Players overall after they're drafted and player progession should be accelerated. First rounders should be 70-80 overall at the draft and should be arguable to make the team a year after. In real life it is said that NHL forwards prime is 23-26 and by 23 they would be in their 3-5 season. In NHL18 a lot of first rounders dont progress enough to make the team until they are 22.

6) Smarter Team AI in terms of GM's trades and signings. A team will be 14-31-4 and when Im looking to trade my rentals it says they are interested, really? Also, signings are stupid as well. Just by signings in one of my GM modes the Dallas Stars had their already expensive guys: Benn, Seguin, Radulov, Spezza, and Klingberg. But they also signed: Panarin, Lee, and Carlson. Nobody has that many big signings.

7) In Madden a few years ago they had a weekly show on Franchise Mode called "The Extra Point." From the main franchise hub you could press "Y" (on Xbox) and they had a 3-4 minute show with real NFL Network people talking about the games from the week before, current NFL standings, upcoming primetime games that week, and the AFC/NFC Offensive/Defensive Players of the Week. It would be amazing for NHL gams to do that. Have the NBC guys or TSN guys to do a fake weekly panel about standings or power rankings and talk about players who are on hot streaks. Maybe near the Trade Deadline have Dreger, LeBrun, or Mckenzie do a small insider trading show that names players from team trade blocks.

When I started typing this I only had a couple ideas, but as I wrote I remembered a bunch of old things I thought were really cool. So Im sure I have more and I will post them when I remember.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
EASHL -

Bring back attribute allocation.

The NHL is filled with different players. Why can't we all have the same resource pool and allocate our points how we want?

If you're not going to do that, then at least have all cross-classes available.

For example, add:
Two-Way Sniper
Dangling Sniper
I like the idea of improving as you do specific in game things. It's like, why does nailing tons of slappers from the point improve my skating speed to 99? But I can certainly get on board with at least a small separate pool of attributes you can spend where you'd like. Best of all worlds.

It'd be awesome if great production got you in-season sponsorships/awards and you could use that money to buy training for yourself.

Congrats! For hitting a few of these milestones for the past 15 games, Stan's Shoes is paying you a sponsorship deal for x money. It's not much, spend it well! (Then you hire a personal trainer to enhance a specific attribute/attributes. Better sponsorships = more money for more training and attributes. You can go for lower tier training or keep saving up until you can afford the best training

EA would of COURSE microtransaction the hell out of it. (5 bucks = $200 sponsorship) But if you keep the MT's away OR at least make the progression fair then I would love the idea.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Adding real money would destroy EASHL. Attribute allocation would just turn out the same way it did last time it was in the game. Tiny guys who are super speedy and can snipe, and absolutely massive guys who injure people every hit they make.

I’d rather keep the pre sets but just make a few more as someone mentioned “2way sniper, sniper dangler” etc

Reactions: FierceFalcon

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
Go to frostbite
more realistic gameplay
more in depth commentary
more songs/announcers
just change a lot of functions to stuff like in other games
the game is trash go back to a game more like legacy mode
GM CONNECTED BUT NOT AS SLOW

Franchise mode Hut & be a pro mode i play.

Be a pro mode:
Make it more live the life but make more sponsorship's.
Revamp the entire thing. its dull and boring but i still play anyways
make more options for my pro like USHL NCAA & other leagues.

HUT:
NO ICE TILT
Evo's come directly between TOTY and MOV
Movembers come out like they were and they grow
quit upping pack odds for youtubers or people that spend thousands of dollars on the game a year
better matchups with your skill level
more types of cards

Franchise mode (my favorite mode):
Be able to use the echl, no point of having them in the game if i can't use them
Coaches
hiring scouts
smarter gm's
less elite prospect goalies not getting drafted (somehow) & going into fa

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
As a Franchise Mode player mine's aren't very big but here goes...

• More realistic game faces for players
  • When new generated prospects are coming to the game, they should at least use their in-game faces as their player bio pic. It's kinda dull when there's so many full black photos
  • I might fantasize for more commentating options. Hilarious that Doc and Eddie are commentating all my games no matter when and where my team is. Guess my team is special.
  • Add ECHL.

2K would more than welcome to the competition. They made a bucnh of great NHL games!

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
-More than like 8 songs so they aren't burned into my head by the end of the year
-Online seasons/challenges with bronze/silver players so they aren't useless
-More in depth commentary it's getting really old
-Update Be a Pro with some kind of actual narrative. It's the most bland and boring mode by far and it could actually be fun if they put any kind of effort in. If not just take it out.
-Better/more precise attribute allocation (if no roster sharing) some of them are really bad and I question if these people even watch hockey at all.
-Adding coaches and/or systems into GM mode would be cool but probably difficult to implement
-Ability to Be a GM in leagues outside the NHL (CHL, SHL, etc) would love this feature!
-Change the same generic cup celebration they've had forever in GM. If you win the cup it should be a big moment but instead you get the same garbage 2 min animation every time.
-Bring back legends teams

Agreeing on these. I also kinda like in Be a Pro where you got to choose NHL legend as your player and have a go with him. In NHL 2K you were able to celebrate SC manually even though it wasn't really that special but it beat EA's generic celebration.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
A very small thing but I remember on older gen GM Modes you could see way more information. Stuff like all the cup winners, career numbers for each player, power rankings, etc. All of that in combination with what they already have would be nice

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Oh man there is a lot of improvements i can think of but let's start with the single most important and biggest improvement EA could do with NHL and every other sports game for that matter.

First do not release NHL 19 at all, instead make a game just called NHL from scratch with a new engine, make it as simple as possibke with only vs & very simple season mode and and fine tune the animations, graphics & gameplay until there isn't any glitches, freezes or any other gimmicks that has haunted these games for years now.

Now instead of making a new rushed and broken NHL games every year you only release updates & dlc's for the game with a steady pace adding new rosters, game modes, leagues, teams, tournaments and settings for the game some for free and some would cost obviously.

This way you can easily fix glitches over time even if new ones are found or accidentally created ny the updates. It would also be better financically for both EA and the customers since EA wouldn't need as much staff to create a new NHL game every year instead they only need a small team to keep creating content for the game and every now and then hire a bit more people temporarily if they have bigger project (like adding a new league).

It's also better for customers since you only need to buy the base game for 60$ and it also gives you the rosters of the year you bought the game in and after that a license for a season would be around what? 20$ Much cheaper than buying a new game every single year.

Ea could also keep all the rosters available for customers to purchase so this way EA could make a little more money with people who want to play with rosters from the past, heck they could even make historic DLC's of original six teams, Soviet national team etc. So much opportunities to make money and please fans! Or you could just keep making those HUT cards which will make money for you but make customers hate you even more lol.

This would be much better format for sports games than the current system so much potential.

Obviously the first few years the game would be pretty dull but within 5, 10+ years it would be incredible. And i honestly think EA would maje more money this way...

There is so much i would like to include here but it's already pretty long post so i just end it here and maybe later give my hopes how to fix specific game modes more well more specificly.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
As a Franchise Mode player mine's aren't very big but here goes...

• More realistic game faces for players
  • When new generated prospects are coming to the game, they should at least use their in-game faces as their player bio pic. It's kinda dull when there's so many full black photos
  • I might fantasize for more commentating options. Hilarious that Doc and Eddie are commentating all my games no matter when and where my team is. Guess my team is special.
  • Add ECHL.

2K would more than welcome to the competition. They made a bucnh of great NHL games!
ECHL is already in the game.

I think it's a testament though how terrible EA has been at integrating other leagues into the game. Everyone wants new leagues but EA never does anything with them. They really should play more of a role in BAP or franchise.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
ECHL is already in the game.

I think it's a testament though how terrible EA has been at integrating other leagues into the game. Everyone wants new leagues but EA never does anything with them. They really should play more of a role in BAP or franchise.
Yeah I actually wrote that badly. I meant that ECHL should be integrated to Franchise Mode. And as a result of this, I agree with you about their way to bring new leagues. You do nothing with then, they are there just to bring more stuff to HUT.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
I play mainly EASHL these days, and it annoys the shit out of me constantly. The momentum swings are TOTALLY unfair. Can’t tell you how many times my team was dominating statistically and every shot the opponent takes is a goal. I get why EA wants to make it even by doing that, but some of us who are serious gamers get really f***ing pissed off when BS like that happens. There are also times where my skater (hitting sniper) is slower than even an enforcer, and none of my shots hit the net yet the enforcer can do ridiculous dangles and score at will. That shit isn’t right. Puck reception has been an issue since last year and maybe even before. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve skated right past/over the puck. Something needs to be done about the pokecheck/pass block because I’ve blocked SO MANY one-timers that phased literally right through my stick or body and it makes me wanna scream because it’s always a goal. Another thing is when the other team spams the pokecheck yet NEVER takes penalties, and the VERY SECOND you TOUCH R1 they get tripped. I’m also incredibly tired of the opponents’ AI defense engaging me on the rush, yet the AI on my side just straight up back off even when set to full pressure.

I swear to god the creators of this game don’t f***ing play this game. If they did they’d be utterly ashamed of it. Too bad there’s no other companies competing, that’s the problem. They have no inscentive at all to make it better. People buy the shit anyway. Why should they even try?

Bartacus

Dec 26, 2015
I only play franchise mode, have for years. I love hockey, but then I played NBA2K and saw what could be. 2K is almost too much though. Alot of requests in this thread seem like really big reaches - I think tweaking the existing system could yield a better product, and realistic, simple changes could make NHL 19 eminently better:

1) When my GM contract runs out, let me choose the length of new contract I want! This used to be in the game and is now gone - why? I don't get it - I love taking bottom dwellers to champs, but I don't need 5 years to do it. Since I can't specify length I have to reload a bunch to find a contract I like. That's lame. Also, no more 2 yes contracts? Why not?

1A Another things that is gone - let me specify the stats I want to see in a trade (eg position, 85 off awareness, 80 poise, under 23, etc) using the trading block, then bring up a list of all the players in the league that match. Again, this used to be in the game a few yrs back, but now I have to scan each individual team to find what I want. Why remove this feature?

2) So when you have the AI edit lines - let me set a 'preferred roster', IE so the AI coaches don't cycle my elite 18yo 56 Euro players in the AHL to the bench all the time. Or let us specify to the AI coach who we want to see getting solid playing time/never riding the bench. If they sit on the bench all year, they never develop. The alt is to have ECHL, but that's tons more complicated, and still won't guarantee those players play.

3) Morale - this is where 2K kills EA. Let me talk to whichever player I want, whenever I want. To light a fire, or ask what's up, or intentionally aggravate them - I constantly have sad players and have no way to understand why, or deal with it. Have followups/multiquestion sitdowns - not just one question with 4 answers, where demanding seems to always yield the best outcome, and being nice always fasils in group morale. Have a meter or something, with multiple statements to make it seem less like total randomness. Chemistry would also be nice.

4) Players get benched one game even when recovering from injury, so you play them and they get injured again. Also, one single game benching often leads to a players atts to drop for months? and they are so angry they demand trades? Huh?

5) Training, with consequences for overworking players etc. See 2K. I can't make my players focus on their weaknesses, so they just develop randomly (or not at all unless I meticulously manually manage my lines -see #2). Itd be nice to hire coaches to help.

6) Beverage and ticket management is really shallow. I just autoselect prices when I bother to check them. None of it seems to matter. Take me to ticket price screen at playoffs so I can hike them without forgetting.

7) More GM firing. I never get fired, and sometimes I hit zero of my targets. No consequences seems weird, no? There should be owner meetings and check ins (like with a screen with the owner talking, a la 2K, not just a narrative list of wants that in the end they don't seem to care about) and real consequences for not following their directives (here you could have budget teams, owners recommending you shed certain contracts, etc).

8) Scouting. Introduce multiple scouts, again see 2K, or some kind of points system. Let us hire and pay scouts, affecting bottom line.

9) Staff. There's no front end or scouting/training staff management, but I can change the price of a Coke. Game > asset management.

10) Reduce the arena deterioration speeds, and make it less expensive to repair. Honestly I plug every penny into arena maintenance, never advertising or promotions, because there is literally zero incentive to do so. Also with full arena mgt assigned, I still don't have nearly enough money to keep everything repaired.

Most of these are very doable EA. I hope you check in on this stuff, because you've lost a couple of great features and I don't know why. Remember free for all mode, 3 hotseat players vs one goalie? Man that was fun, and wouldn't take much to include. Good luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->