NHL 18 Information/Discussion Thread | Part II

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Is fatigue real? I just played against a guy who used Pittsburgh (should have known) and he ran Crosby-Brassard-Malkin up front and Guentzel-Letang on D for an entire game and just ragged the puck the whole time. No noticeable difference in play from start to finish.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Is fatigue real? I just played against a guy who used Pittsburgh (should have known) and he ran Crosby-Brassard-Malkin up front and Guentzel-Letang on D for an entire game and just ragged the puck the whole time. No noticeable difference in play from start to finish.
For certain things sure. Fatigue effects pack handling and the skaters ability to corral loose pucks. Speed, I don’t think so. I’ve had guys out there with no energy and they still skate just as hard.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Said it before, and I'll say it again. Mind boggling decision to remove the ability to switch goalies at any point mid-game. Don't even see an option between periods. In Online Versus, at least. I dunno if there's gameplay designed around the need to switch to the backup (ie. the random systematic chance your starter plays like shit)... but Lehner gives up 3 questionable goals in the first period in almost as many shots, two games in a row, at the very least I need that goalie swap feature to reset and get my head back into the game.

If I recall, at one point you could swap goalies practically any time during a game, even mid-play. Then they made it between whistles, then between periods. Now I don't see the option at all. Looking forward to switching goalies being an amazing "new" feature in NHL 20.

Give EA credit, Lehner and the Sabres are as slow and stupid as their real life counterparts.

Last edited:

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I am thinking to buy console mainly for NHL 18 and future versions of course, so what I am interested in is there really big diffirence between NHL 18 on PRo and X1X ? And will there be diffirence in future ? Because if there is/will be big diffirence in graphics then I will buy X1X, if not, I will probably go with PRO.

Thanks !

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
Not sure how anyone finds playing against the CPU fun at all in any sport game.

i have a complete opposite opinion. every aspect of a simulation goes out of the window when u play pvp at any game. to some people simulation = fun. and if u like to go head to head, why choose a sports game when they are so many variables that forces players for example to pick the same team over and over or abusing the player ai... might as well play counter strike so everybody can buy the same weapons to equalize the chance of winning.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I am thinking to buy console mainly for NHL 18 and future versions of course, so what I am interested in is there really big diffirence between NHL 18 on PRo and X1X ? And will there be diffirence in future ? Because if there is/will be big diffirence in graphics then I will buy X1X, if not, I will probably go with PRO.

Thanks !
There's no significant difference between the two systems when it comes to gameplay or graphics in NHL 18.

Obviously, there's controller preference and online services (XBox Live vs. Playstation Plus). EA Access (subscription service) is available for XB1 but not PS4, which may influence your decision.

The biggest thing for most people is what system their friends are using.

Reactions: pukovnik

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Game is on sale for $30 at Gamestop traded in NHL 17 for it and also had some points got it for $25

2 games in as the Bruins and I seem to ALWAYS be on the PK. Game 1 vs the Preds not even 10 minutes into the game and they were on their 7th power play

Had to make the game 1/4 for penalties since it seems every poke check someone falls

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
No point in asking here. Everybody is negative and cynical towards every single part of this game.

Better to watch some BeAGM vlogs or watch some streams.

as u can see I got it now. One of the main things I hate which is already stated above is penalties.

Started on 3/4 and I had 8 PKs in game 1, period 1 without even 10 minutes in. All my poke checks the other team fell. But none of theirs my guys fell however u sneeze at my guys or touch em they give up the puck.

put it to 2/4 and penalties still uneven, even on 1/4 still too many PKs for me. Was averaging 2-3 Penalties a game

Now am on like 0/4 and there are no penalties. Its dumb cuz they should still have penalties for fighting but they just fight and keep playing. McQuaid broke his hand in a fight and was still playing no injury.

Would be nice if there was a realistic penalty option cuz this is ridiculous.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
EA really dropped the ball on not allowing custom rosters for the 32 team expansion mode. It is basically unplayable for me because of this. Hopefully fixed for NHL19.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The goalie thing is dumb, but being locked out of your team management window after you use your timeout is even dumber.

Like what if i want to change my line combos in between periods (which is a thing actual NHL coaches can do) or something? Apparently not.

If your goalie concedes 3 goals on 4 shots (which happens a lot) you basically concede the game.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Has anyone actually successfully been traded after requesting one in BaP? I've come to the conclusion that it's impossible. No point in having the feature in the game if I'm always either "not good enough to be traded" or "too valuable to be traded"

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
If they don’t get rid of this stupid one handed deke goal next year I’m definitely not buying it. Worst feature EA has added in years.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
My players constantly crash into the boards and lose the puck. I also ice the puck at least 15 times in a game when trying to make a pass from my defensive zone. Finally, I hardly ever get any power plays. I really haven't played all that much since I bought it (I basically got it when it launched.). Is this normal?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
My players constantly crash into the boards and lose the puck. I also ice the puck at least 15 times in a game when trying to make a pass from my defensive zone. Finally, I hardly ever get any power plays. I really haven't played all that much since I bought it (I basically got it when it launched.). Is this normal?

Same thing happens to me, too, when I play in All-Star difficulty. I just simulate in franchise modes nowadays.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
My friends and I call this game Pokecheck 2018. Just spam pokechecks and hope for the best. Passing, checking, pokecheking, change of possession 9000 times in a few seconds are all so damn random. You can outshoot and outplay someone but your player gets sneezed at and you fall on the ice and lose possession. Then when you try to check a player he loses possession amd gets it back right after. Sometimes I slap the puck towards the net with Dustin motherf***ing Byfuglien and the opp. defenseman just GRABS it in the air and starts a breakout right away LMAO. They want to make the game realistic and I get it but have these random shits happenning... at this point realistic is becoming unrealistic. Checking and pokechecking is so stupid in this game. You can never know what will happen. I used to win games in online versus like 9-3 in previous editions and now I just never know if Ill even be able to score one.

14-15 were my favorite editions and I miss them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbose7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->