NHL 18 Information/Discussion Thread | Part II

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Yeah I switched to overhead full time after a few games trying it out, you're totally right it's definitely the best camera view while playing D.

Try Zone, it's the old Custom 3 Camera. It's not quite as high as overhead but you can still see the whole ice East West, and its set back a bit so you can see further up ice on the breakout passes than you can on overhead. I played Overhead exclusively from 09-17 and made the switch halfway through last season. Now I couldn't imagine going back. I also primarily play D.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Compared the ratings from October to December ... not sure why the Sedins, on pace for 58 and 53 points respectively, had their already low ratings dropped even further.

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
mantha39 said:
To the games credit, it's impossible to know exactly what you want to do in any given situation so it'll never be perfect... but still.

I guess, but I swear I never had this problem while playing Blades of Steel!

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Is it just me or does this game have a lot of input lag lately? The menus, the cuts screens, and now I can’t even deke or make passes normally. I’m on PS4 btw. Wired connection and 111 mbps download.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Ok so I’m finally playing be a Gm mode. My views

Taylor Hall won rookie of the year. What?

Attributes finally matter which is cool.

Ratings are stupid because it feels like there are simply different levels of first line players and then everyone else is still shoved between 76/77-84

Penalties are just absolutely out of control. Every little thing is a penalty even with sliders turned way down.

A pass through a bunch of sticks is now automatically picked off or deflected despite that not being the case in real life.

Player AI is still vastly less intelligent then the CPU

Player AI defenders still do not react properly to the rush and skate forward or flat footed until it’s too late.

This ones kind of weird but, sometimes it just doesn’t look real playing it.

Mouth guards hanging out of mouths are literally the worst. They are permanent and look absolutely ridiculous.

I have to say the player presentation is pretty awesome. The players do look like themselves during a game.

Pretty awesome in my first draft to find a low elite level potential in the 4th round a a high potential top 6 in the 6th.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
The gum shield thing really annoyed me too. I thought they’d at least you know, be in their mouth occasionally but apparently not!

Its a Trap

I don’t understand: in a hockey game when you send a pass through the middle of the ice through sticks and skates, sure it deflects and sometimes is picked up by the defenders and other times by the attacking players. But in no game that I’ve ever seen has every puck that passed through a group of players been deflected or immediately collected by the defending team.

Another fine example of EA finally listening to fans who complained about sticks and pucks floating through other sticks and pucks and turned it into a joke. Carrying the puck within 2/3 feet of an opposing CPU player is akin to just handing the puck to the other team because they will always deflect it or knock it off your stick to take possession and rush the other way. Passing anywhere other then around the perimeter is pointless.

And I continue to be amazed by how out of control penalties are.

Reactions: Jbose7 and Uemoda

Readytostart

Feb 19, 2016
Can you start a Franchise mode at the entry draft? I want to play Classic Mode, after the expansion draft to make it true to life, but I want to start at the 2017 entry draft like on old-gen consoles. Is that possible?

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
How do I get my players to step up at the blue line, force turnovers, pick up loose pucks and hold onto the puck through the slightest bump or stick check because my guys can't hold onto anything.

I feel like I'm playing at a disadvantage.

Its a Trap

How do I get my players to step up at the blue line, force turnovers, pick up loose pucks and hold onto the puck through the slightest bump or stick check because my guys can't hold onto anything.

I feel like I'm playing at a disadvantage.
You can’t do anything about the first two things. Defenseman AI is unchanged from previous years which is why you see your own defensemen skating out of the zone while the AI rushes in creating a 2-on-1 or some other odd man rush

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Going to copy a post that I made on HFNYR.

Might be a strange place to see 31 thoughts, but the 1st two are very interesting:

1. There is a Board of Governors meeting scheduled for All-Star Weekend and I’m curious to see if the eSports NHL tournament will be officially unveiled. According to several sources, the league wanted to open registration in February and begin the online event in March. I’m not sure how the competition is going to work, but the most intriguing thing I heard was the “World Champion” would be recognized at the 2018 NHL Awards. That is a fantastic idea. This is the most excited I’ve been about video games since a university roommate bought a Game Boy with Tetris.

2. Before he ended up in Anaheim, I asked JT Brown his thoughts on this foray. Brown, the NHL’s foremost gamer, said, “Don’t launch it until you know it works properly.” Good advice.

The NBA has already opened their qualifications for the 2kNBA E-League.

If the NHL doesn't want to miss out on it, they could actively launch something in the time frame mentioned above.

There is only one NHL game out there, so there is really no choice where this would be done on.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I enjoy this game being hard but I f***ing hate feeling cheated. In 11 games so far I have 10 PPs and 44 PKs, even with the slider for penalties against me and turned up for computer. I hate how every time there is a loose puck they're coming away with it 95% of the time. My computer plays like a damn moron half the time, there will be a potential two on one and then he stops at the blue line leaving me with no one to pass to, they don't chase the puck and are rarely in position. The computer for them is in amazing position every single time. They block my passes almost all of the time but I can't get in between their passes.

I really want to enjoy this game but it's becoming too frustrating and that includes EASHL as well, which I loved playing. I can't seem to enjoy this game anymore without feeling cheated half the time.

Reactions: Jbose7

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I only play this game in Online Versus really... but I can't STAND the amount of "human error" they program into this game. I've played a lot of games in my life, but this is easily the most annoying thing I've seen. It's really a shame it happens to be in one of my favorite series/franchises.

Imagine this... I'm a defenseman attempting to pass the puck out of my zone. I have two wingers rushing ahead on their respective wings, wide open to receive a pass. The other teams forwards converging around the center of the neutral zone. I press towards the winger to my right, hold and release the pass button... aaaaaand... it sends the puck DIRECTLY down the middle of the ice. :rolleyes: Right to the other team. As such, my players are in no position to defend that sort of obscene blunder... and the other guy gets a free opportunity, and if he's any good (or even luckier than he already was), probably a free goal. These sorts of shenanigans will go on coincidentally (suspiciously) until the next whistle, when by some miracle my brain stem reconnects and I'm once again in control of my own actions.

I don't think the game has ice tilt... in the sense that it tries to compensate for players who aren't very good. I think the game has very sloppy and random systematic "human error" to try and recreate/force upon you the unpredictability of hockey. Which can make for a miserable experience that you just don't see in other games... because most other developers aren't that f***ing stupid.

Last edited:

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
Jeez online feels much worse than offline, everything online seems to happen with a tiny delay, which is just very f***ing annoying.

Didn't have this problem with lastgen.

Reactions: Kip Drordy

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I only play this game in Online Versus really... but I can't STAND the amount of "human error" they program into this game. I've played a lot of games in my life, but this is easily the most annoying thing I've seen. It's really a shame it happens to be in one of my favorite series/franchises.

Imagine this... I'm a defenseman attempting to pass the puck out of my zone. I have two wingers rushing ahead on their respective wings, wide open to receive a pass. The other teams forwards converging around the center of the neutral zone. I press towards the winger to my right, hold and release the pass button... aaaaaand... it sends the puck DIRECTLY down the middle of the ice. :rolleyes: Right to the other team. As such, my players are in no position to defend that sort of obscene blunder... and the other guy gets a free opportunity, and if he's any good (or even luckier than he already was), probably a free goal. These sorts of shenanigans will go on coincidentally (suspiciously) until the next whistle, when by some miracle my brain stem reconnects and I'm once again in control of my own actions.

I don't think the game has ice tilt... in the sense that it tries to compensate for players who aren't very good. I think the game has very sloppy and random systematic "human error" to try and recreate/force upon you the unpredictability of hockey. Which can make for a miserable experience that you just don't see in other games... because most other developers aren't that ****ing stupid.

I hear ya. Starting to get really f***ing sick and tired of this game. I'm playing franchise mode on All-Star - because Pro is too easy - but the CPU is too perfect. It's ridiculous. My team is 2-9-0 to start the season and I get blown out for the most part, which is silly because not only am I pretty good at this but I put a lot of effort in too. It's not like I coast through the games and don't care.

It really is a miserable experience, as you say. I'm having no fun and just getting angry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad