Hockey Ultimate Team: NHL 18 HUT Thread (All HUT talk goes here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
This game is such poop. They killed this mode with the amount of special cards. They tried to model fifa and in turn killed the mode imo.

Not sure if this is frowned upon here but I play fifa and would rather have coins. I don't know exactly how much I have but I would imagine over 150k on nhl if anybody wants to swap. I can sell it all or trade the cards. Have ice Stamkos, ice Kucherov, ice Kopitar, ice Point, Messier, Boyle and other 5-10k cards throughout the lineup and about 15k sitting there. I've done it on here in the past with the guy who was a draisaitl fan. Went smooth. If anybody is interested and somebody can vouch for you, I would be interested in getting rid of the pucks for coins. I have no interest in this game anymore, might as well try to deal em away.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The TOTY Choice packs are actually pretty juiced. 75k for three rounds.

My first one gave me a legend (quick sold, I believe Koivu), and a Evo Skinner (who I might as well hold on to in case of some upgrade, although very very unlikely). The second one included TOTY Zetterberg in round 1 (wtf), two legends and an Evo Schneider.

I used to buy packs all the time, got some decent pulls (Evo Marchand, Gonchar) but mostly nothing. Then when I started realizing the potential in CS (aka free packs), I stopped buying packs. The only pack I bought since was the TDL Choice Packs, which gave me absolutely nothing and I was pissed. Decided to take another chance, and after the first one, something was telling me to open the second. Pretty much made all of my coins back with the TOTY Zetterberg

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
Yeah the packs are basically like scratch cards and pretty inefficient way to build a team. They are fun though and pretty addictive like most forms of gambling but the "right way" is to just look at them as extra rewards from CS and AI challenges. Have anybody tried the 99ovr Bishop? Planning to buy that next and activate all 5 team synergies with rest of my team being 90-95 overalls.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Yeah the packs are basically like scratch cards and pretty inefficient way to build a team. They are fun though and pretty addictive like most forms of gambling but the "right way" is to just look at them as extra rewards from CS and AI challenges. Have anybody tried the 99ovr Bishop? Planning to buy that next and activate all 5 team synergies with rest of my team being 90-95 overalls.
I haven't tried 99 Bishop but I pulled a 99 Rask and honestly he is not good whatsoever. Goalie cards are so stupid, he has really good synergies tho.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I haven't tried 99 Bishop but I pulled a 99 Rask and honestly he is not good whatsoever. Goalie cards are so stupid, he has really good synergies tho.

Goalies are such **** in this game, totally hit or miss. Tried a 96 Ovr Fluery as my last goalie, literally ran a 70% svp. I would outshoot teams by about 2:1 and lose every game. Pulled a legend hasek a few days ago, he’s been awesome for me, haven’t lost a game with him yet through about 10 games

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
I've had most luck with evo Rinne. Pretty much tried all the big goalies pre-toty and he's been in a league of his own. 96 Vasi was alright, but very up and down, some games he'd steal with ridiculous saves and some games he'd go all swiss cheese.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I find each goalie is pretty bad, but they're mostly all bad in different ways. You need to find what goalie works best with your playing style. I've had good games using Evo Dubnyk, only a 89 overall. Against Div 1/HUT Champions opponents.

I got IP Booted for the first time today. I was playing Game 1 in my HUT Champions season and this guy is just pulling his goalie and messing around. After the second period ended I got disconnected. I checked his recent games and it was littered with DNF wins, including some as late as the 58th minute of the game. I was able to go 7-1 after that, though, and finish in the top 500. Excited to pull another Evo which is basically a guaranteed 99 overall at this point.

Bluesgirl

Apr 2, 2013
hello there, I will probably now ask a stupid question but I can't seem to find an answer. What place do you have to finish in CS in order to get some rewards? And are you able to check where your opponent is in the standings just to get an idea who you played?

Also I would seriously like to know, are there any players that finish in top 100 or even top 300, that do not have a stacked team? Is it even possible to have a stacked team without using real money? It's too bad you can't check the other team in CS but in online season after I managed to get to Div 1 , everyone I played had team full of evos and nothing lower than 96.

My best card is 94 Ice Kucherov, my whole team is mainly Ice cards and everytime I play someone with "normal" team I can easily win. Is it even possible to beat someone that have like 10 synergies active and all players are 98,97,99 overall.

As I said my best card is 94 and it's quite hard to compete against people that are three times as fast. Maybe people will tell me here that I just suck and maybe I do, but how the hell am I supposed to do anything if my players can't get to the puck first since they are slower? I am able to play great D and don't get destroyed that much but I can't seem to create a chance, like seriously , I pass it to my winger and his players are onto me within a second even though they were deep in my zone. So basically I am battling one or two players from behind and one D. Even if I pull a deke you can't just get around 3 guys. and you can't even pass it, because they just pokecheck me or break the pass, they are everywhere.

I am just shaking my head when I see people posting their team and how they have like 10 synergies. I have barely 5 and I was happy to even have those, but that's nothing now with all those cards out there so how am I supposed to know if I just suck or I am pretty good just cant compete against a stacked team?

I don't think it's fair, I just wish they would make a HUT Mode where only base cards would be allowed so that I could really see for myself where would I finish.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
hello there, I will probably now ask a stupid question but I can't seem to find an answer. What place do you have to finish in CS in order to get some rewards? And are you able to check where your opponent is in the standings just to get an idea who you played?

Also I would seriously like to know, are there any players that finish in top 100 or even top 300, that do not have a stacked team? Is it even possible to have a stacked team without using real money? It's too bad you can't check the other team in CS but in online season after I managed to get to Div 1 , everyone I played had team full of evos and nothing lower than 96.

My best card is 94 Ice Kucherov, my whole team is mainly Ice cards and everytime I play someone with "normal" team I can easily win. Is it even possible to beat someone that have like 10 synergies active and all players are 98,97,99 overall.

As I said my best card is 94 and it's quite hard to compete against people that are three times as fast. Maybe people will tell me here that I just suck and maybe I do, but how the hell am I supposed to do anything if my players can't get to the puck first since they are slower? I am able to play great D and don't get destroyed that much but I can't seem to create a chance, like seriously , I pass it to my winger and his players are onto me within a second even though they were deep in my zone. So basically I am battling one or two players from behind and one D. Even if I pull a deke you can't just get around 3 guys. and you can't even pass it, because they just pokecheck me or break the pass, they are everywhere.

I am just shaking my head when I see people posting their team and how they have like 10 synergies. I have barely 5 and I was happy to even have those, but that's nothing now with all those cards out there so how am I supposed to know if I just suck or I am pretty good just cant compete against a stacked team?

I don't think it's fair, I just wish they would make a HUT Mode where only base cards would be allowed so that I could really see for myself where would I finish.

Pretty much wherever you finish in CS gives you a reward. If you can finish in the top 3000, you get a pretty good reward. Top 1000 you'll get a really nice reward. If you can even consistently place in the top 3000, you'll get 2-3 packs a week and then a ton at the end of the full season.

It is possible to get a good team without paying real money. I haven't spent anything this season, and I currently have four 97s and none of my lineup is under 92, plus I have 450,000 coins for TOTY cards coming out.

As for competing with the top players, you likely won't be able to. Not gonna lie, I lick my chops when I see a weak starting lineup because it's usually a pretty easy win. The only exception was when a relatively weak lineup beat my team, but the guy was some Twitch streamer who was pretty good. You're right, it's hard to compete with someone who is quicker, shoots better and virtually everything they can just do better if they understand the game.

If I were you, I'd research smart investments. I bought EVO Werenski for ~35k a month and a half ago. Now he has his TOTY upgrade and I got a 95 overall with RS for 35k coins. Flip collectibles at key times (Flashbacks when a good player is released, TOTY collectibles when the sets first come out). You can buy them back at a fraction of the cost.

Bluesgirl

Apr 2, 2013
Pretty much wherever you finish in CS gives you a reward. If you can finish in the top 3000, you get a pretty good reward. Top 1000 you'll get a really nice reward. If you can even consistently place in the top 3000, you'll get 2-3 packs a week and then a ton at the end of the full season.

It is possible to get a good team without paying real money. I haven't spent anything this season, and I currently have four 97s and none of my lineup is under 92, plus I have 450,000 coins for TOTY cards coming out.

As for competing with the top players, you likely won't be able to. Not gonna lie, I lick my chops when I see a weak starting lineup because it's usually a pretty easy win. The only exception was when a relatively weak lineup beat my team, but the guy was some Twitch streamer who was pretty good. You're right, it's hard to compete with someone who is quicker, shoots better and virtually everything they can just do better if they understand the game.

If I were you, I'd research smart investments. I bought EVO Werenski for ~35k a month and a half ago. Now he has his TOTY upgrade and I got a 95 overall with RS for 35k coins. Flip collectibles at key times (Flashbacks when a good player is released, TOTY collectibles when the sets first come out). You can buy them back at a fraction of the cost.

Thank you. God, how I wish I knew that before :D Honestly I didn't care at all about CS, I didn't know there are rewards and when I found out I thought it's only for like top 100 players. Maybe if I played before, my team would look better. I started playing CS only last week and at one point I was sitting at 584th place but then lost like 5 in a row :( it just matched me with ridiculous teams and I lost lots of points even though I am pretty sure those guys must have been higher in standings than me but whatever.

And btw, the packs you can get from CS, are those just gold packs plus or the special ones?

As for flipping collectibles, that's also quite hard for me, because I have no idea what most of those cards are and when are new cards released and how exactly it works, I earned some money by buying players low and selling high and at one point I had 150K which I never had before in previous HUTs but that's still nothing compared to others :D

I also don't play that often, I think in order to work with the market etc, you need to kinda invest your time on daily basis which I don't usually do.

Well, I can only hope I will be able to at least get some decent players when prices go down, to at least have a few 94's and 95's

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Thank you. God, how I wish I knew that before :D Honestly I didn't care at all about CS, I didn't know there are rewards and when I found out I thought it's only for like top 100 players. Maybe if I played before, my team would look better. I started playing CS only last week and at one point I was sitting at 584th place but then lost like 5 in a row :( it just matched me with ridiculous teams and I lost lots of points even though I am pretty sure those guys must have been higher in standings than me but whatever.

And btw, the packs you can get from CS, are those just gold packs plus or the special ones?

As for flipping collectibles, that's also quite hard for me, because I have no idea what most of those cards are and when are new cards released and how exactly it works, I earned some money by buying players low and selling high and at one point I had 150K which I never had before in previous HUTs but that's still nothing compared to others :D

I also don't play that often, I think in order to work with the market etc, you need to kinda invest your time on daily basis which I don't usually do.

Well, I can only hope I will be able to at least get some decent players when prices go down, to at least have a few 94's and 95's

You'll get a mix of packs. I believe the top 3000 in CS got a TOTY Big Pack, TOTY Pack, while the top 2000 got the same but also a Gold Plus added. If you finish lower, you probably just get a Gold Plus Pack or some coins or something. CS is a little tricky because you need to know when to stop, especially if you don't have the best team.

As for working the market, if you play often (even if you aren't always checking the Auction House), it'll come to you. A week ago I saw an Evolution Laine going for 200k coins so I bought it. He's first/second in the NHL in goals, so he'll for sure get TOTY and get boosted up to 99 overall. 200k for a 99 overall sounded good to me, so I made the decision.

Plus, the market this year is crazy because of how many good cards are up for grabs. You can get a 95 overall Flashback Heatley for 170k that has +2 TN, S, LL, AA. My 94 Lanny McDonald won't even sell for 50k. You can get a 92 Bourque with 99 shooting across the board for 35k. Even my TOTY 95 Zetterberg with crazy synergies sold for only around 125k.

Bluesgirl

Apr 2, 2013
You'll get a mix of packs. I believe the top 3000 in CS got a TOTY Big Pack, TOTY Pack, while the top 2000 got the same but also a Gold Plus added. If you finish lower, you probably just get a Gold Plus Pack or some coins or something. CS is a little tricky because you need to know when to stop, especially if you don't have the best team.

As for working the market, if you play often (even if you aren't always checking the Auction House), it'll come to you. A week ago I saw an Evolution Laine going for 200k coins so I bought it. He's first/second in the NHL in goals, so he'll for sure get TOTY and get boosted up to 99 overall. 200k for a 99 overall sounded good to me, so I made the decision.

Plus, the market this year is crazy because of how many good cards are up for grabs. You can get a 95 overall Flashback Heatley for 170k that has +2 TN, S, LL, AA. My 94 Lanny McDonald won't even sell for 50k. You can get a 92 Bourque with 99 shooting across the board for 35k. Even my TOTY 95 Zetterberg with crazy synergies sold for only around 125k.

yeah I wish I knew that. So basically when I was 584th, I should have stopped? Just so that I know for future. Jesus and I was still around 2500 something but I continued playing and now I am outside of 3000 :(

Well honestly I currently have 80K so most of those players are out of the questions but I do have Bourque with 99 shooting but he seems kinda slow and I scored only one or two goals with him so far :D

I am also not really sold on those synergies thing. There are actually some youtube videos showing how they don't do that much. I had only TN as a team synergy, now I also have S and they actually seemed slower after I got the S synergy as well. Also when you think of that, if you have someone with 96 speed already and the guy has TN and also RS, does he have 102 speed now? Cause that wouldn't really make sense.

I have Bure so considering he also has RS he should be really fast, but honestly he doesn't seem so. As I mentioned I always get outskated by the better team when theoretically the speed should be around the same if you have all those synergies active, isn't 99 speed the highest anyway?

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
yeah I wish I knew that. So basically when I was 584th, I should have stopped? Just so that I know for future. Jesus and I was still around 2500 something but I continued playing and now I am outside of 3000 :(

Well honestly I currently have 80K so most of those players are out of the questions but I do have Bourque with 99 shooting but he seems kinda slow and I scored only one or two goals with him so far :D

I am also not really sold on those synergies thing. There are actually some youtube videos showing how they don't do that much. I had only TN as a team synergy, now I also have S and they actually seemed slower after I got the S synergy as well. Also when you think of that, if you have someone with 96 speed already and the guy has TN and also RS, does he have 102 speed now? Cause that wouldn't really make sense.

I have Bure so considering he also has RS he should be really fast, but honestly he doesn't seem so. As I mentioned I always get outskated by the better team when theoretically the speed should be around the same if you have all those synergies active, isn't 99 speed the highest anyway?
RS is the most noticeable synergy for me.

I have 7 guys with it and they can fly, makes it much easier to collect loose pucks and track down guys on the backcheck.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

This is what I do, I don’t get how people say buying packs actually helps, unless you spend a lot of money, packs are rarely a good hit, I bet since December my best pull is worth maybe 5K on the market. And I do above mentioned, get to maybe top 1500 in CS and do that every round, by the end of the season usually have 10 packs. Lately I just quick sell every pack, good players on the market are cheap right now, I get ones that cater to my style, good speed and shot, practically all my d are OFD, picked up a 95 Eichel yesterday for like 30K, his offensive stats are very good

Bluesgirl

Apr 2, 2013
okay guys I need advise hopefully someone is here online. Do you get rewards also in qualifiers for HUT championships? Because that's the only thing available for me now and I am 861st so should I stop or this is only to qualify for the champs?

As for the packs, yes they are usually crap for me but there's lots of people buying coins with real money and then buying cards so that's what I was talking about.

I actually had EVO Eichel that my friend borrowed me to try :D , but he sucked for me, I didn't even notice him on the ice like seriously, no goals, nothing, so I do not have him in the lineup anymore and my team plays better.

I usually suck with righties, I am much better with left handers so maybe that's why he didn't really work for me

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
okay guys I need advise hopefully someone is here online. Do you get rewards also in qualifiers for HUT championships? Because that's the only thing available for me now and I am 861st so should I stop or this is only to qualify for the champs?

As for the packs, yes they are usually crap for me but there's lots of people buying coins with real money and then buying cards so that's what I was talking about.

I actually had EVO Eichel that my friend borrowed me to try :D , but he sucked for me, I didn't even notice him on the ice like seriously, no goals, nothing, so I do not have him in the lineup anymore and my team plays better.

I usually suck with righties, I am much better with left handers so maybe that's why he didn't really work for me
Yes, you get rewards. His "X" on the HUT Champs screen to see the rewards for each round and overall.

Competitive Seasons rewards are having issues.... YEEEEEEET they could put out new content to get people to buy packs. Typical EA :rolleyes:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
This is what I do, I don’t get how people say buying packs actually helps, unless you spend a lot of money, packs are rarely a good hit, I bet since December my best pull is worth maybe 5K on the market. And I do above mentioned, get to maybe top 1500 in CS and do that every round, by the end of the season usually have 10 packs. Lately I just quick sell every pack, good players on the market are cheap right now, I get ones that cater to my style, good speed and shot, practically all my d are OFD, picked up a 95 Eichel yesterday for like 30K, his offensive stats are very good

Yeah, I think the final round I'm usually around 10 packs as well since the season ended. Usually pull one roster player out of it, but who knows with the super high overalls now.

Don't play anymore games. The only reward for the Champions qualifier is top 1500 entry into the Champions season. You'll get in at 861.

Yes, you get rewards. His "X" on the HUT Champs screen to see the rewards for each round and overall.

Competitive Seasons rewards are having issues.... YEEEEEEET they could put out new content to get people to buy packs. Typical EA :rolleyes:

It's a little ridiculous at this point. This is, what, three times? I'm glad I haven't spent money other than buying this game.

HammerTime44

Flyers-Phillies-Packers-LH44
Feb 11, 2014
Philadelphia
I just had the best stretch of games I've ever played. I outscored my opponents 22-0 in my 3 HUT Champs qualifying games and was ranked in the top 100.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
oh well, I checked this morning and I dropped to like 1880 something, too bad, maybe next time :)

Oh, wow. You usually should be getting in, but I realize your post was at 7AM so I guess I didn't account for that.

You can probably get in with a 2-1 record in Round 2 (3-1 at most). It opens tomorrow at 5pm.

Bluesgirl

Apr 2, 2013
Oh, wow. You usually should be getting in, but I realize your post was at 7AM so I guess I didn't account for that.

You can probably get in with a 2-1 record in Round 2 (3-1 at most). It opens tomorrow at 5pm.

yeah, I was worried about it cause it was evening for me already last night and there were still 11 hours left. I had 3 - 1 record so I had hoped I would make it.

So those CS's in general are actually all worldwide and not divided by the regions? Cause I am in central Europe so by the time I finish playing each day, people in NA still have most of the day ahead, but maybe I am wrong, maybe it is divided by regions idk

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I've been hooked on Fornite lately so I haven't logged in, in a while. Did we get our ultimate pack for last CS yet? I should probably try to qualify again just to get the pack.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
yeah, I was worried about it cause it was evening for me already last night and there were still 11 hours left. I had 3 - 1 record so I had hoped I would make it.

So those CS's in general are actually all worldwide and not divided by the regions? Cause I am in central Europe so by the time I finish playing each day, people in NA still have most of the day ahead, but maybe I am wrong, maybe it is divided by regions idk

Yeah it’s worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad