NHL 18 Franchise Mode :Expansion Edition

RandyBobandi

Apr 16, 2012
Saskatchewan
Really? There is someone in the roster thread saying the new CHL rosters do not apply to expansion mode. I’ll give it a try

Yeah that was me I tried a 31 team expansion draft started the new season went to scout the OHL see if Svechnikov was there and he wasn’t sinned ahead and checked the 2019 draft to see if those prospects were in and they weren’t so it didn’t work for me. But maybe I’m the only one with that issue.

Also on my game Kieffer Bellows is with the Rangers not the Islanders lol

Reactions: ThorNton Apologist

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
My 32nd team Milwaukee Wolves, has 2 prospects i created on it.

Didn't realize they were there until I was at the draft following Expansion. Had to trade up to get a 2nd 1st round pick to get them both.

Oddly i swear when i created them, I assigned them to Dallas for Traditional Franchise mode, but there they were in the draft

Last edited:
Reactions: ThorNton Apologist

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Made up the Seattle Spartans, using the old Senators logo, & black/gold color scheme.
Swapped them with Vegas to be in the Pacific divsion.
Have stunk it up for the first few years, but scooped up my first franchise forward in the 2019 draft
Ranked 79 overall at the draft, American Warren Sereda. He scored 31 goals & 61 points in the first year, and got me into the playoffs.
I had traded for a 2020 1st rounder from Vegas after the expansion draft, and they finished 4th from the bottom, so I have a shot at another franchise guy this year too!

Reactions: Nugget910

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Started a franchise mode with a 32nd NHL team - the Jacksonville Jackals. So far I've missed the playoffs three years in a row and haven't had much success. My best players are Mattias Janmark, Gabriel Vilardi, Martin Hanzal and Patrick Berglund. They aren't scoring much at all.

I'm engaged in a full-on rebuild using the draft. Here's hoping I can get competitive in a few years.

Reactions: Nugget910

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I didn't know where to put this.

Franchise mode is a f***ing joke . Why ? Because one of my top players or goalies ALWAYS gets injured at the most inconvenient of times in every single season I've played sofar (4 years ).

Otherwise it's a great mode but it's pathetic how the games only way of preventing you of winning a cup is by cheating and injuring your players long term . Bull shit.

Greaves

Jul 27, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
By the end of the 4th year. I said **** drafting because it makes no sense that they don't progress in any real manner.
Miro Heiskanen is 78oa, 3rd pairing Defenseman

I got Heiskanen on my team fresh out of the draft and he jumped to 84 by the end of the first year. By game 50-55 of his second year he’s 86. He’s probably gonna rob me when I have to re-sign him this offseason with a contract extension. Mind you I play every game and I immediately put him on my top pairing and started playing a 1-4 trap by the time the playoffs started. I found that every game turned into a goal fest. So I started trapping to keep the puck out of my own net. So his +/- is quite good now as is his point totals. I think he has 8 goals and maybe 15-20 assists in 50 games.

Greaves

Jul 27, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hey everyone,

So I traded for Anthony Mantha (Elite, Low) near the trade deadline from the Red Wings in year 1. He was 81 or 82 overall and had just signed a 1 year extension with the Wings. So on January 1, 2019 (year 2), he indicated he was willing to sign an extension with VGK (my team). Originally he wanted a 2 year deal worth $6.2M (way too high for a current 85 overall IMO). A 4 year deal was $6.9M per year. If I wanted an 8 year deal, he wanted over $8.625M. So crazy money. My team chemistry at this point was 77 or 78 and his morale was dark green smiley face (so high morale). I won a couple more games (I play every game by the way) and team chemistry jumped to 79. I checked Mantha’s contract demands and he now wanted 3 years at $6.2M. For an 8 year deal he wanted $7.3M or so. So when team chemistry went up, his contract demands dropped. Has anyone else noticed this?

Also seems the longer you hold out, the cheaper it is to sign guys. I signed Zucker (medium top 6 winger, an unsigned RFA in the offseason) to a one year deal worth 1.5M and he now wants $4.5M for an extension. Needless to say I traded him as he’s not worth $4.5M.

Any feedback on contract extensions and team chemistry would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Hey everyone,

So I traded for Anthony Mantha (Elite, Low) near the trade deadline from the Red Wings in year 1. He was 81 or 82 overall and had just signed a 1 year extension with the Wings. So on January 1, 2019 (year 2), he indicated he was willing to sign an extension with VGK (my team). Originally he wanted a 2 year deal worth $6.2M (way too high for a current 85 overall IMO). A 4 year deal was $6.9M per year. If I wanted an 8 year deal, he wanted over $8.625M. So crazy money. My team chemistry at this point was 77 or 78 and his morale was dark green smiley face (so high morale). I won a couple more games (I play every game by the way) and team chemistry jumped to 79. I checked Mantha’s contract demands and he now wanted 3 years at $6.2M. For an 8 year deal he wanted $7.3M or so. So when team chemistry went up, his contract demands dropped. Has anyone else noticed this?

Also seems the longer you hold out, the cheaper it is to sign guys. I signed Zucker (medium top 6 winger, an unsigned RFA in the offseason) to a one year deal worth 1.5M and he now wants $4.5M for an extension. Needless to say I traded him as he’s not worth $4.5M.

Any feedback on contract extensions and team chemistry would be greatly appreciated.

I never noticed about the chemistry thing. Interesting. I'll check that out.

On contract extensions in general? It is absurd. There is no reason a player should want 2 million for one year but 8 million for 8 years. IRL, if you extend a player for a long time at a young age, it is a risk but your rewards is a low cap hit. Here, it penalizes you.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
After much deliberation between NHL GMs, we have decided it is the perfect time to bring back the Hartford Whalers.

Anaheim - Vatanen
Arizona - Burmistrov
Boston - Hayes
Buffalo - Bogosian
Calgary - Stone
Carolina - Guseppe
Chicago - Jurco
Colorado - Nieto
Columbus - Anderson
Dallas - Johns
Detroit - Howard
Edmonton - Brossoit
Florida - Reimer
LA- Martinez
Minnesota - Brodin
Montreal - Danault
NSH- Ekholm
NJ- Smith-pelly
NYI - pulock
Nyr - grabner
Ottawa - Dzingel
Philly- Laughton
Pitt- dumolin
SJ- Tierney
Stl- jaskin
Tb- dotchin
Toronto - brown
Vancouver - Gaunce
Washington - Shattenkirk
Winnipeg - Myers

Went pretty heavy on the Dmen in the expansion draft with the expectation of trading a good chunk of them away for picks and build from the draft.

Now its time to turn those dmen into assets.

Edit 1 simmed to far so I can't get the exacts, but I traded ekholm, Myers and Bogosian in separate deals for picks and RNH.

Picked Patrick Nolan 2nd overall and I now have 4 2018 1st round picks next season and 3 2nd round picks.

Last edited:

Greaves

Jul 27, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Update on the contract renewals, with team chemistry having an impact. It doesn’t. Shortly after my last post, I won a couple more games and Anthony Mantha’s contract terms went up. Back to $6.2M per year for 2 years. So team chemistry doesn’t affect contract demands. I still can’t figure why contract demands move around. Anyway I’ve decided to leave him as an unsigned RFA through the offseason and see if his demands come down. And if they don’t, move him out for picks. $6.2M for a second line player lol, you’re real funny Mantha.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Update on the contract renewals, with team chemistry having an impact. It doesn’t. Shortly after my last post, I won a couple more games and Anthony Mantha’s contract terms went up. Back to $6.2M per year for 2 years. So team chemistry doesn’t affect contract demands. I still can’t figure why contract demands move around. Anyway I’ve decided to leave him as an unsigned RFA through the offseason and see if his demands come down. And if they don’t, move him out for picks. $6.2M for a second line player lol, you’re real funny Mantha.
The deeper you go into the mode, the more outrageous the contract demands become when viewed with an IRL outlook. The cap goes up a lot every year in game. I'm in my 5th year I think, and the cap limit is something like 102.5M. You'll need to be signing 2nd liners for 6m per just to get to the floor soon.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
HELP PLEASE IF YOU CAN

I recently got the game, started a Franchise Mode, made the 32nd team. Just finished my second season, so its time to sign the prospects that I drafted my first year (that will now be UFA's).

For some reason any time I try to sign a rookie to an ELC it says "we would like to join but your roster is full", except my roster isn't even close to full. I can sign some random pending UFA on my team no problem, as well as RFA's. Apparently its just pending UFA rookies on their first contract.

I have tried several different things, like releasing all pending UFAs besides the ones I need to sign, and no luck. My only thought was maybe I glitched the game because I traded a few goalies during the draft, so maybe it won't let me sign anyone because I have only one goalie on contract? But that doesn't make sense really since I can sign random older UFA's

No idea what to do, it sucks. I'm going to have to restart to my last autosave and lose like 4 hours of work, or let 3 elite potential rookies walk free.

The weirdest part is I have done some searching and haven't seen anyone else with this problem.

Please let me know if you have any ideas

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You won't lose your rookies if you don't sign them, you own their rights for a few seasons, so you should be able to advance and sign them later.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
You won't lose your rookies if you don't sign them, you own their rights for a few seasons, so you should be able to advance and sign them later.

This is like 3 years after I drafted them, so under the current contract status it says UFA. One time when I was trying and couldn't sign them the week that you get to sign them ended and they became UFAs and everyone was interested in them

Greaves

Jul 27, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
FYI guys & I’ve never seen this before but in my franchise mode as VGK in year two (game 65 mark), William Karlsson’s potential changed from Top 9 to Top 6. He got probably 45 points in 82 games in year one, 50 points so far in year 2. Anyone else notice potential going up for your players?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
FYI guys & I’ve never seen this before but in my franchise mode as VGK in year two (game 65 mark), William Karlsson’s potential changed from Top 9 to Top 6. He got probably 45 points in 82 games in year one, 50 points so far in year 2. Anyone else notice potential going up for your players?

Overalls and potentials are a lot more flexible this year.

One year my starter got hurt for a while, so I acquired Reimer from Florida. Reimer went on a tear, got boosted from an 82 or something to a 89 overall.

I traded him that off-season for a boatload (because his trade value was super high) and by the next deadline he was back down to an 83

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad