NHL 18 for $20, should I get it?

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Okay, let me preface by saying that I haven't bought NHL since NHL 15.

I'm a super casual xbox1 gamer. I don't care about PC master race vs. consoles.
I also don't really care about online gaming at all, I just either like playing campaigns/story modes or 1v1 with my 9 year old.

So, during my break I was just goofing around on xbox and noticed that there is a bundle offer for FIFA18/NHL18 and/or NBA18 for $40.

FIFA18 I play, I do the campaign and also play career/be a pro mode when I'm done with it.. so I know I won't regret spending 20 bucks.

Now with NHL18 I don't know; I started reading up and saw some things that I really liked but also some negatives that make me question as to whether I'll continue having fun playing NHL18. The biggest problem I have is the lack of a true story mode as it exists in FIFA.

My question is now whether I should just go ahead and buy the NHL bundle or go for the NBA bundle (which is actually 8 bucks cheaper I think).
I don't play basketball in the real world and also don't follow the NBA at all. I know the teams and the most of the franchise players, but that aside I do actually enjoy playing basketball video games for whatever reason.

I know it sounds odd to ask "basketball or hockey" on a hockey forum but I figured I'd ask those who have actually played the game and can give some input after having played it for a while.

Right now I'm leaning towards the NBA bundle and then just get NHL19 hoping they would have added a story mode.

What's your guys' hot take?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I'd do it but be ready to edit every players overall/potential if you want it realistic
It's a shitty game but if I didn't have 18 I'd buy it for $20

Jadenb

May 20, 2017
Honestly, I’ve played be a pro minimally. I’d say that it’s not worth it to pay 20$ just to customize your mouthguard in or out of your mouth. AI is a little better, nothing spectacular. I mostly play franchise mode and I will say I play with all the features on except meetings. Franchise mode is good at best and the new expansion is a nice option. I’d recommend NBA though as I’ve heard good things about it, never played it myself though.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
For that price its not bad but the main complaint I have with NHL18 is that players skate over the puck constantly after you hit the opposing puck carrier, usually leading to a goal against.

Reactions: Pay Carl

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015
No EA game (Fifa maybe the only exception since they pour ) is worth $20 so no. Garbage tier developer, for serious. They take fun things and then squeeze them for money.

Reactions: Nickmo82

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Thanks for the input guys. seems like I'll probably hold out for NHL19 to see if they have something for offline/single players that doesn't bore them to death after a week.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
For twenty dollars it's a good price as long as you download the updates. The computers AI is terrific and will give you lots of fun if you like playing off line. The full simulation mode rocks.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Are you on XBOX??

If so, get EA Access in about a month. NHL will be on there and so will FIFA and others (including Madden). It's $25 for a year and you get full access to the games.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
If you're playing NHL 15 for XB1/PS4, it's definitely worth $20 for the gameplay upgrade (though BAP hasn't seen any real improvement).

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Okay, let me preface by saying that I haven't bought NHL since NHL 15.

I'm a super casual xbox1 gamer. I don't care about PC master race vs. consoles.
I also don't really care about online gaming at all, I just either like playing campaigns/story modes or 1v1 with my 9 year old.

So, during my break I was just goofing around on xbox and noticed that there is a bundle offer for FIFA18/NHL18 and/or NBA18 for $40.

FIFA18 I play, I do the campaign and also play career/be a pro mode when I'm done with it.. so I know I won't regret spending 20 bucks.

Now with NHL18 I don't know; I started reading up and saw some things that I really liked but also some negatives that make me question as to whether I'll continue having fun playing NHL18. The biggest problem I have is the lack of a true story mode as it exists in FIFA.

My question is now whether I should just go ahead and buy the NHL bundle or go for the NBA bundle (which is actually 8 bucks cheaper I think).
I don't play basketball in the real world and also don't follow the NBA at all. I know the teams and the most of the franchise players, but that aside I do actually enjoy playing basketball video games for whatever reason.

I know it sounds odd to ask "basketball or hockey" on a hockey forum but I figured I'd ask those who have actually played the game and can give some input after having played it for a while.

Right now I'm leaning towards the NBA bundle and then just get NHL19 hoping they would have added a story mode.

What's your guys' hot take?

Just found NHL 16 for 6 bucks after tax (so really about $4.83). First one I'm getting since 13

Still will probably regret my purchase

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I’d say no. If you’re just into offline game modes, stick with NHL17. NHL’s offline game modes are very bland and boring.

Dylonus brought up the best point. If you purchase EA Access, you’ll get them both in the $25 price tag soon, and get to try 19 for free before it comes out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->