NHL 16 Be a Pro thread!

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
I got 60 exp to my speed attribute during the game. Anyone else noticed that beating an icing call gets you exp on speed? Didn't know it was possible.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
It's annoying that I get lowered discipline rating for not fighting a guy after a big hit. The game gives us both a minor and I get dinged.

My discipline rating is so low I now take elbowing penalties at least once a game and I HAVE to fight to try to keep my rating up.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Despite of what people say about this game and this game mode I've clocked countless hours playing this mode and I'm still having fun with it. Can't remember when was the last time I was still so engaged with a NHL game in March. Yes, there are bugs and glitches some of which are very annoying but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the game.

Also 2bc complaining is bs. He just never learned the current-gen version of NHL, doesn't play it in his free time and still he acts like he knows the game. All he does is complain. It's not like old gen didn't have problems but people worked around those problems as did he.

He really is an idiot. He acts like he's so great at the game and that he has so much knowledge about hockey but he isn't and he doesn't. He really does think he's god. It's pretty pathetic.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
He really is an idiot. He acts like he's so great at the game and that he has so much knowledge about hockey but he isn't and he doesn't. He really does think he's god. It's pretty pathetic.

In this case, his complaint is valid.

Be a pro is unplayable for myself, and countless others.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
In this case, his complaint is valid.

Be a pro is unplayable for myself, and countless others.

Yes, it's very sad, this used to be my favorite mode in any game

The nail in the coffin for me was the new broken progression system, it makes no logical sense and makes the game a chore to play

Video games are supposed to be fun, this game no longer is

ZEKE TRU

Mar 23, 2016
I gotta vent about the Be a Pro.

3 games before the all star break, Playing on the kings 1st line and I'm leading the league by 20 goals etc...

I get dropped to the AHL................From the First line straight to the AHL.

I was simulating 2 of the 3 periods and then jumping into the third because I don't have time to play all 82 games in full. Its probably why this happened but the fact I didn't have any warnings, just straight down from the top to the bottom.

Irritating.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Play in a junior league my second season, as a 17 year old. McDavid is still there as a 91 overall, 20 year old.

The next season after being drafted by Vancouver I go on an absolute tear in the pre-season - but is still sent down to yet another year in the juniors...

How ****ing hard is it to have a realistic be a pro?

Also, how ****ing hard is it to get the AI to make realistic decisions with and without the puck?

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
I'm not sure how I feel about the progression system. In old gen I could boost my player with speed boosts and I always had 90 something for speed even at the start of my career. Not sure I liked that.

Then again it's hard to get balanced stats now with the new system. I always have high passing and wrist shot accuracy even though I mainly try to score with one-timers and deflections. Still as every backhand and garbage goals gets me xp for my wrister accuracy that stat is usually higher than anything else. The problem with this that I don't want to have 99 wrist shot as 80 overall because that seems unrealistic. Though I've gotta admit that it was fun to see my 80 overall player score 50 in his rookie year by simulating the whole season.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I just realized there aren't any player expectations, request trades or retirements.

What in the ****ing ****. They better fix this **** next game. LTL became my favourite mode in previous gen and easily could have been in this game with how ****** GM mode is.

sark76

Oct 9, 2011
Pripyat Marshes
After 4 years (one CHL, three NHL) my BAP on pro setting. lol my discipline is a 56! Every time I hit someone I get a penalty!:handclap:

7035029d-5f83-4907-9813-a24_zpslzmgqozy.jpg

d3cc171e-0964-40f9-9829-4a9a7ed6a726_zpsnek9y6w6.jpg

38e6668f-bbca-45af-82ea-adb_zpsxai26tbr.jpg

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Wtf is wrong with this game. I'm an 89 overall sniper who just won the conn smythe, art ross, lady byng, and Hart memorial and hit free agency. I get 4 contract offers. None for more than 6 million. Is it cause I'm RFA? No negotiation option either. With no trade option it makes me wish I didn't do the draft :/

Last edited:

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Wtf is wrong with this game. I'm an 89 overall sniper who just won the conn smythe, art ross, lady byng, and Hart memorial and hit free agency. I get 4 contract offers. None for more than 6 million. Is it cause I'm RFA? No negotiation option either. With no trade option it makes me wish I didn't do the draft :/

This might be too late, but what you can do is save a few days before free agency hits, and then if you don't like the teams that offer to you, just leave BAP and reload your save and repeat till you get offered a contract you like.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Does the contract even matter? You can't use it for anything, can you? I'd rather just take league minimum so I get good players to play with.

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
Does the contract even matter? You can't use it for anything, can you? I'd rather just take league minimum so I get good players to play with.

Contract means nothing. Money means nothing.

You also can't sign for league minimum because you can't even negotiate your own contract :(

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
EA Sports is so bad. I didn't buy NHL 16 out of frustration. Tried playing BAP on NHL 15 but can't get through a whole season without freezing. Currently playing NHL 14. :laugh:

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
I'm in the AHL. I'm a power forward center, 71 overall. I've met all my AHL season "expectations" already ....

My preseason stats were pretty good - I had like 17 goals and 10 assists and 27 points in like 6 NHL preseason games, yet they send me down to start in the AHL?

AHL statistics.

Games: 9
Goals: 27
Assists: 13
PIM: 84 lol
+/- 40
S% 25.71
FO: 82.28
Hits: 72

Those are some pretty good numbers so when will I be recalled by the my NHL team? don't tell me I have to play the entire season in the AHL?

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
I think I'm going to score 200 goals and 100 assists this season and then sim the rest until playoffs (or sim until I get called up to the NHL). My goal is to get it done in under 40 AHL games.

I want to hit some of those achievements.

I know I will hit a good bulk of them over the next 31 more games (I have 40 points in 9) but a lot of those achievements are almost impossible....

5 goals in 5 different ways is absolutely impossible to achieve in this game...... I would love to know if any of you guys have done it?

Of course playing 20 seasons and being top 5 in scoring is a difficult one. Yea, I'll probably get that one sometime a year from now (if ever lol)....

flash46201

Jul 18, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Welcome To Hell

First off, playing on the hardest possible settings, so that may explain some of my 'issues'.

Be A Pro
15 year old
Ottawa 67's
Centre/Sniper
Custom Style
Hardcore Simulation
Superstar Skill
Fighting Medium
Icing/Offsides/Penalties all authentic

Here are my beefs:
1. Teammates are idiots. I do ALL the work, with almost NO benefit. A six foot pass is an adventure...both giving and receiving. I can't believe the stupidity of the passing. I call for an obvious pass, the D takes it BEHIND the net, passes it into the back of the net, and I get a 'bad call for pass'. WTF
2. See #1. Goalies are the worst. I take 10-15 shots per game, at least 5 excellent ones, and the opposing goalie looks like Tretiak/Dryden/Roy/Brodeur all rolled into one. (this is OHL after all) My goalie? Can't stop a 20 foot backhand. And rebounds? It's like my goalies' pads are made of super balls and the opposing goalies' are made of velcro. And guess who pays with the 'bad line defense'? You guessed it.
3. Never have I played a game where even when I do well I feel like I have failed. Many times (I have played at least 200 full games of BAP) I have gotten 3-4 points, yet have finished with a +/- of zero or less, and a lousy defensive grade. The last game I played I had 3 assists and was +3 after the first period. I said to myself 'this ain't gonna last'. Sure enough, the computer scores BS goals toward the end of the game, and I finish even (surprisingly).
4. Unrealistic offensive expectations. Why does EVERY game need to be 6-5??? If we WIN the game 1-0, why am I punished for lousy offensive stats??? Pathetic.
5. There must be a 'rub' button I am missing. It is virtually impossible to take the puck off the other team, but a Dman can simply brush against me, and I lose the puck. Oooops, that's a -5 for offensive turnover. I can be standing directly on top of the puck, yet the other team can always swoop in and scoop it up.
6.Short shifts. Yes, I get it that it's junior and you don't want to tire the poor kids out. But 3 second shifts? Seriously? Win the faceoff, someone throws a creampuff at the goalie, end of shift. My shortest shift was less than a second. My skates hit the ice, the whistle blew, and I was back on the bench. Thanks coach.
Even if I am the first line centre, I have checked my ice time, and am generally getting 4th line time at best...sometimes the least ice time on the entire team. Really? The only reason it's that high is sometimes I take long shifts (do I really want to go to the bench when we are peppering the goalie with shots??? Apparently the coach wants that)
7. Faceoffs. What's the point of winning them? I win at least 50% of them on the hardest difficulty, even at a level 53, yet my defencemen can never handle the puck, or take a shot from the point. Part of what I loved about NHL14 was when I learned to stand in front of the net and deflect shots for goals. Now I win the faceoff, head to the front of the net and wait for the shot, only to have the Dman Fup, and the other team usually scores. -10 line defence for me. Thanks EA Sports.
8. Defenders can skate as fast going backwards as I can at full speed going forwards. Have the developers ever seen a hockey game??? I can get a pass at my blue line going full speed, and I can NEVER outskate a Dman. It's ridiculous. In about 200 games I think I have had 3 breakaways, and at least 1 of those was coming out of the penalty box. (don't get me started on penalties)
9. Back to faceoffs. How ridiculous is it that you are penalised for not being as good as the other guy??? To LOSE XP because of 'inferior skill' is simply ludicrous. It's like saying 'you SUCK...now we're going to KICK you too!'. I like the fact there are so many new ways to win faceoffs, but the reward/fail system needs to change.
10. Defensive poke check. 8 foot arms with 10 foot sticks with military precision. I try to poke check? Tripping/hooking/high sticking penalty.
11. Playing defense is impossible. I mean, impossible. Once I counted 15 tape to tape perfect passes by the other team until they scored. I was doing my all to try to intercept/deflect ONE of them while my 'team mates' all stood and stared like zombies until the inevitable goal was scored. There comes a time (like one other poster noted) that you accept the inevitable...the other team will score and your efforts are for nothing. It's really a hopeless feeling, and it truly sucks. In my own mind (and I say it out loud quite often) I say the 'BS' meter is filling, so I know I'm about to be scored upon. 90% of the time, it's true.
12. Coaches' Expectations. My favourite is 'careless deking'. Whoa! Don't try to deke the other guy, it might be careless!!! The other is 'careless aim'. I am pretty sure that 99.9% of coaches in the world will say 'no shot on goal is a bad one'...and that '100% of shots that miss the net don't score'.

I could go on and on and on...and might just do that in another post. EA Sports could have had a good thing, but instead they got a bunch of people who program tennis to make a hockey game. Fail.

flash46201

Jul 18, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I have more...surprised???
1. Passing. The AI (at least for the OTHER team) is god like in it's passing. I mean, behind the back, no look, 100 foot backhand passes that usually end up as goals. My team? Keystone Kops. The usual formula: I win the faceoff, the Dman takes the puck behind the net, I stand at the blue line tapping my stick (with nobody within 20 feet of me), the Dman will stutter step back and forth, either throw it around the boards to someone on the other team, or into the back of the net...either usually resulting in a goal. The other team? It's like watching the Russian Red Army back in 1975. The puck is out of their zone before I can turn around and start skating. I will sometimes laugh at the screen at the display of passing...mind boggling. Why can't my FKN team do that???? I usually yell 'holy F**k, my team made a pass!' when we get out of our zone in less than 30 seconds, if at all.
YES, I know it's junior, but ALL the kids are junior, right? Why does it feel like a team of Pee Wees playing the 1979 Canadiens???
2. The faceoff shot. It seems very important that I learn this. But in all my 45 years or so of watching hockey, I seriously can't recall ever seeing this being done. And to top it off, I am given NO instruction on how to do this...among all the other things I'm meant to learn (there are apparently little blue hints displayed while the play is going on, but I am too concentrated on actually PLAYING hockey that I'm not looking at the little blue hints...silly me???) If there was a way to learn these things outside games, wouldn't that be a WHOLE lot better???
I keep asking myself...'why do I keep playing this steaming turd???'

flash46201

Jul 18, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Worst Game Ever...

I have just experienced the WORST ever moment in Be A Pro. As a Sniper, I'm not expected to play awesome defence, but I get very annoyed when the other team scores (and always seems to score when I am on the ice...never any other time!) but this one takes the cake, and the icing!
I was shadowing the other centre from the point into the slot. He was on his backhand, so I thought 'if he goes to forehand, I will pokecheck or lift his stick, and I will be off in the other direction. The result: he floats a BACKHAND from between the hash marks, and it floats through the goalie! I mean, really??? He wasn't screened, it wasn't deflected, he just stood there like a great big ol' piece of swiss cheese, and watched it go past. THIS is the SH!T that annoys me! I can take a slap shot from 20 feet out, and be rewarded with a circus save from the other goalie and a 'well aimed shot +20' but they can take a backhand from the same distance and score??? I call BULLSH!T!
And I am still so impressed that EVERY time I win the faceoff in my zone, the defenceman is compelled to skate behind his own net. I have just gotten into the habit of calling for the pass, which only works about 80% of the time...the rest I get nailed for 'bad call for pass'.
Don't know if anyone else is following the release of NHL17 but we will be blessed with the Bautista Bat Flip. Hoo Fkn Hooray! They make an unplayable game, yet can give us fluff like that. Thanks again EA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad