Rosters and Ratings: NHL 14, manually editing for accurate prospect potentials using Hockey's Future.

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
When ever i start a new gm mode, i always edit the teams prospects because ea usually misses or messes up potentials of some players.
Here's how i use Hockey's Future to aid me in fixing potentials.

Hockey's Future uses a "Traditional Realistic Potential Rating (1-10) and "Realistic Probability Rating (A-F) [they 99% of the time only use B,C,D]"

EA uses 0.5 star to 5 star potential rating and red low, yellow medium, and green high probability rating.

This is how i combine the two rating systems to make it as accurate as possible.

9.0 C , 8.5 B = 4.5 Star green potential rating.

9.0 D, 8.5 C, 8.0 B = 4.5 star yellow potential rating.

8.5 D = 4.5 star red potential rating

8.0 C, 7.5 B = 4 Star green potential rating.

8.0 D, 7.5 C, 7.0 B = 4 Star yellow potential rating.

7.5 D = 4 star red potential rating.

7.0 C = 3.5 Star green potential rating. If drafted top 15.

7.0 C , 6.5 B = 3.5 Star yellow potential rating.

7.0 D = 3.5 Star red potential rating

6.5 C = 3.5 Star red potential rating (if drafted in the 1st round)

6.5 C, 6.0 B = 3 Star yellow potential rating.

6.5 D = 3 star red potential rating.

6.0 C = 3 star red potential rating.

There can be some exceptions to this system depending recent play of a certain player. Lets say i don't agree with Trouba being 7.5 C (4 star yellow) rating) because he dominated in the WJC-20, then you can change him to 4.5 yellow, what ever you feel like he deserves.

Well that's all i have to share, thank you for reading and let me know if you change player potentials to your liking all the time.

Last edited:

ScottStevens

Jun 20, 2013
Using this for my PHX Be a GM in 14 thanks! ( Of course had to up Samuellson, Domi, Burke, and Miele) :D

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
What about not using any prospect gradings and doing it on what you've heard. When I make my rosters, I go with my instincts and what I've heard on a player.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Why not just let B = green, C = yellow, D = red and the numbers translate to stars?

That would be nice, but player growth in the game doesn't translate that way. A 7B projects as a solid third or fourth-liner, but a 3.5 green will get you to around 83 or 84.

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Why not just let B = green, C = yellow, D = red and the numbers translate to stars?
Well there's issues with doing it that way for example, what star potential is 9.0C, 8.5C. You can't call 9.0C and 8.5C both 4.5 star yellow players. 9.0C is the better prospect.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Well there's issues with doing it that way for example, what star potential is 9.0C, 8.5C. You can't call 9.0C and 8.5C both 4.5 star yellow players. 9.0C is the better prospect.

Have you done it with nhl 13? does it play out well?

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Yes it does, for the prospects only, for young rosters players i wouldn't touch it.

so guys like naz or gardiner it wouldn't work, but guys like Rielly it will? Thanks man, i will deff be trying this. thanks for sharing

Ilya Bryzastor

May 13, 2013
Philadelphia
I remember when Mackinnon was in the 5th round , was 56 overall and 2.5 yellow stars , what a joke lol. Hopefully NHL 14 they fix prospect ratings , not only for the real prospects but for later years because once you get to a certain point sometimes the first overall is like 50 overall with 3 star potential.

matt1396

Jul 28, 2012
Toronto
What about not using any prospect gradings and doing it on what you've heard. When I make my rosters, I go with my instincts and what I've heard on a player.

this. I edited my rosters to what I think would accurately portray what I think the player will become and how he will be during his 1st season. for example I have Drouin as an 82 overall and Mackinnon as an 84, Mac might be a bit high but when I had him as an 83 the stupid game made central scouting have Drouin and Barkov ahead of Mackinnon.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
That would be nice, but player growth in the game doesn't translate that way. A 7B projects as a solid third or fourth-liner, but a 3.5 green will get you to around 83 or 84.

7.0B projects as a second- or third-liner:

7. Second-Line Forward/ No. 3-4 Defenseman / Journeyman No. 1 Goaltender
6. Third-Line Forward/ No. 5-6 Defenseman / Backup Goaltender

So basically a player who is graded 7.0B is likely to be a second liner but could drop to 6A which is a surefire 3rd liner.

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
this. I edited my rosters to what I think would accurately portray what I think the player will become and how he will be during his 1st season. for example I have Drouin as an 82 overall and Mackinnon as an 84, Mac might be a bit high but when I had him as an 83 the stupid game made central scouting have Drouin and Barkov ahead of Mackinnon.

This is specifically for potential ratings of players.

But players like Drouin and Mackinnon who develop slowly in game should be changed to higher overalls like 80. This way its more realistic.

Realistically i expect Barkov to be a quality 2nd liner after 2-3 season of development. If the game doesnt do that ill manually boost this ratings so he meets this criteria Ill make him a 78 overall, then after 2 years of development hell be 82+ hopefully.

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Is this system going to change at all what with the trade value for red star prospects being complete garbage?

Ea sort of messed that up, ive seen a 85 overall yakupov with red potential and his trade value gone to ****.

My system only fixes problems with current prospects. This unfortunately doesnt fix the issue with simulating a year and a player having his potential change from yellow to red.

JCLiponfanboy*

Ea sort of messed that up, ive seen a 85 overall yakupov with red potential and his trade value gone to ****.

My system only fixes problems with current prospects. This unfortunately doesnt fix the issue with simulating a year and a player having his potential change from yellow to red.

And green is way overpowered. A 4 green star Nick Leddy was a 95 overall

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I use HF rating -4 = # of stars

9.0 = 5 stars
8.5 = 4.5 stars
8.0 = 4 stars
7.5 = 3.5 stars
7.0 = 3 stars
6.5 = 2.5 stars
6.0 = 2 stars
5.5 = 1.5 stars
5.0 or lower = 1 star

A = Green
B, C, D = Yellow
F = Red

I edit my rosters a bit differently, though. I run through a campaign, go into trade block in the final season, and log the numbers to see what a first liner is, second liner, etc. The OVRs are much lower at the end of the game than they are at the beginning, so I'm editing my rosters to reflect that and keep it as consistent as possible from year 1 to year 25.

JCLiponfanboy*

I use HF rating -4 = # of stars

9.0 = 5 stars
8.5 = 4.5 stars
8.0 = 4 stars
7.5 = 3.5 stars
7.0 = 3 stars
6.5 = 2.5 stars
6.0 = 2 stars
5.5 = 1.5 stars
5.0 or lower = 1 star

A = Green
B, C, D = Yellow
F = Red

I edit my rosters a bit differently, though. I run through a campaign, go into trade block in the final season, and log the numbers to see what a first liner is, second liner, etc. The OVRs are much lower at the end of the game than they are at the beginning, so I'm editing my rosters to reflect that and keep it as consistent as possible from year 1 to year 25.

I think that is an Ok way of doing it but players who are 7.0 are better than 3 stars.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013

Hi guys. Apologies for bumping this thread, but I had a search through the forum and this seemed the most appropriate.

I have spent months and months tweaking everyone's potential (mostly focusing on prospects). Last night I finally decided to check what everyone's trade value was, and noticed that every prospect with a red star potential has almost zero trade value.

I equated red potential with guys who have a shot of getting there, but there's a solid chance they won't (however I'd expect them to get close). Is this the sort of behaviour everyone is seeing after a couple of seasons? Or is the trade value more reflective of where these players overall ratings actually end up?

For example EA have Zack Kassian as a 4 star green, whereas I don't see him as a lock to reach that potential, but he definitely has the tools to exceed that potential and be a star in the league. To that end I have given him a 4.5 red rating. Now his trade value is garbage though...

Any help is appreciated. Otherwise I'm just going to avoid red ratings like the plague because I was really want to attempt some realistic trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad