Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
NNQr5XR.png

LAST TIME OUTSIDE

Sidenote, crazy how different our roster is 3 years later.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Everything about this event is cool, except Eugene Melnyk, bringing his scroogey attitude to a 100th birthday party.

Reactions: 204hockey

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It'd be a lot more exciting if we didn't have 6 of these games a year.

... Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but seriously.

There's 6 a year? Why did it take so long for ottawa to get one. Hasnt toronto only hosted once? montreal once?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

So no canadian team ever hosts them, but it's overdone when one finally does.

Wait, whats the difference between stadium series, heritage classics, and outdoor classics? Is there not a name/title/list of all outdoor games??

NHL outdoor games - Wikipedia

Has nice tables showing each teams participation. Most teams hosting one/two home outdoor games over more than a decade since 2003 doesn't seem that bad. Give every fans a chance.

If anything, an ottawa-montreal outdoor game makes the most sense when looking back at the history of outdoor hockey in the cities of montreal and ottawa. Both were huge in the development of hockey, pro hockey, and the NHL. This is the outdoor game that makes the most sense. Way more sense than philadelphia, edmonton, pittsburgh, washington, new york, etc. These cities were not nearly as monumental when hockey was just beginning and played in the outdoors so the history side of it never made sense for those teams. Proper hockey teams were established in ottawa and montreal before any other cities.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Just because Canadian teams rarely participate does not mean outdoor games aren't badly overdone and watered down...

... If anything, it speaks volumes of how much the NHL cares more about the American market than the Canadian. Right or wrong.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Just because Canadian teams rarely participate does not mean outdoor games aren't badly overdone and watered down...

... If anything, it speaks volumes of how much the NHL cares more about the American market than the Canadian. Right or wrong.

Most people mostly care about their own team. That means if philadelphia is playing washington, a toronto fan isn't really watching. A chicago fan isn't watching. So when toronto or chicago does host one, for the 5 million fans, its not overdone, because its the first time they do it.

The big majority of fans only care about their own team so the only way it's overdone to them is if their team has done it many times.

After the 03 game, many college,junior, and minor league teams played an outdoor game...but when the next NHL one came out, it wasn't considered overdone because those fans didn't care to watch those college, junior, minor league teams play in their outdoor games. Whether you think it's overdone is entirely based on if YOU decided to watch more than you'd like. For most fans though, they only care abut their own team, not what some other team, or another league does.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Why didn't the sens alumni play habs alumnus? That was a brutal showing last night with a terrible roster of players.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Why didn't the sens alumni play habs alumnus? That was a brutal showing last night with a terrible roster of players.

Agreed. Drop the bottom half of the roster. Have guys like lalime,redden, phillips, kuba,havlat,alfredsson, bonk,smolinski, arvedsson,neil, yashin, daigle, etc against montreals guys from the late 80s,90s,00s

You know, drop guys like murphy, smyth, kyte, robitaille,hamel etc who barely played for them and or weren't that great to begin with. I remember smyth and hamel being minor leaguers for the most part.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
This would have been much better or cared about if the Senators weren’t the team involved. Them or the Jets are brutal for the casual fan to want to watch.

100 yr game should have been Leafs-Habs.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I love the sens. Great entertaining team to watch over the last few years.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Why? If you don't like them tune them out, if you do, like I do, embrace them and have fun.

p.s. Can't wait for Caps/Leafs at Naval Stadium!

I suppose, but I've been to one and its horrible hockey. Maybe they could do the alumni game and have a cool weekend thing, but I don't think points should be on the line.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I suppose, but I've been to one and its horrible hockey. Maybe they could do the alumni game and have a cool weekend thing, but I don't think points should be on the line.

I think the weather plays the biggest factor. This will be my first and I'm taking my 11 year old so I guess the hockey doesn't matter to me as much as the conditions. Maryland in March shouldn't be so bad.

Reactions: Channelcat

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I think the weather plays the biggest factor. This will be my first and I'm taking my 11 year old so I guess the hockey doesn't matter to me as much as the conditions. Maryland in March shouldn't be so bad.
I do think these are a fantastic event for the kids. Not so much for the old hockey curmudgeons like me ;)

Reactions: Sam Spade

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I do think these are a fantastic event for the kids. Not so much for the old hockey curmudgeons like me ;)

For sure.

I also forgot to mention that I can see the Naval Academy with a pair of binoculars from my house, so that is a big factor in my going as well. ;)

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
I don't want either team to get any points, but I guess I'll pull for Ottawa. They're not as close and are hosting the game.

Please don't be a 3 pointer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->