NFL style draft could be held

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricBowser

Dec 8, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Even though many believe the NHL will hold the 2005 Entry Draft via conference call if a CBA has been signed, look for the league to do an NFL style draft room presentation for the top 35-40 prospects in New York or Toronto.

The first round will be the only televised portion so each team will be represented by one or two officials to make their announcement and have a few pictures taken with the player in his new sweater.

With Sidney Crosby and so many other young players and their families working hard for this moment, the NHL and NHLPA know they can't ruin it.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
They'd be morons not to do this, but do you have a link?

EricBowser

Dec 8, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
I know the league and players association have discussed such a scenario because both sides know they can't miss out on the marketing opportunity the new NHL and future of the league in Sidney Crosby.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Well, I agree whole heartedly with your point about Crosby, and how they cant let him be picked over a phone. They need to get this guys face and abilities out there on TV. So they will televise this event whenever it happens.

But thats as far as ill go. I can't believe someones hunch, because "they know".

Good points though. :thumbu:

EricBowser

Dec 8, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Ask Crosby's agent and the firm that represents him, they know the marketing opportunities on draft day with every piece of equipment and collectibles.

Rizzo and IMG have a solid ear and trust with the NHLPA brass and the league knows they can't screw up with Sidney like they have done with Ovechkin.

If it happens, the 2005-2006 Calder Trophy race could be outstanding with Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, J. Carter, Lehtonen, etc.

World Class talent the league hasn't had since 1990-91 when Owen Nolan, Keith Primeau, Petr Nedved, and Jaromir Jagr entered the league from the 90 draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->